You know it’s been a crazy couple of weeks at work when you have recurring dreams … about work. The only way to combat such nonsense? Let’s start with these four highlights:
- “The Great Gatsby”: Despite touting its soundtrack as the best of 2013, I hadn’t seen the Baz Luhrmann masterpiece until recently. It’s a visual spectacle and takes F. Scott’s Fitzgerald’s narrative to explosive, extravagant new heights.
- Aziz Ansari’s Love Advice: I can’t wait to read the undoubtedly hilarious writing debut from Ansari, called “Modern Romance.” Till then, BuzzFeed graciously cooridinated a Q&A sesh that doesn’t disappoint.
- Warriors Win!: I was thrilled to have both of my Bay Areas in the playoffs recently, but sadly the Lightning didn’t pull through against the Blackhawks. Thankfully, the Warriors brought home a trophy for the first time in 40 years — what a sight to see!
- “GDFR” – Flo Rida f. Sage the Gemini & Lookas: This song should be in the dictionary next to “pump-up jam.” Whether you’re hitting the gym or the bar, you just feel like you can take on the world after hearing this one.
So this week was off to a pretty rocky start — close friends experienced heartache and loss, great people are leaving my company, and there was just a whole lot of other BS coming in.
Fortunately, though, my support system has identified things to smile about … and of course, the first step to lifting one’s spirit is music. These four faves are sure to make you smile. I guarantee it:
- “Fat Lip” – Sum 41: The album title is “All Killer, No Filler” and it sticks to that promise. Say what you want about these crazy Canucks, but this is a classic jam on my playlist and always makes me want to get up and dance.
- “Wannabe” – Spice Girls: I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want. It’s for this song to continuously be recognized as one of the greatest ever. Get any group of women together, and I dare them to not shake and scream-sing along.
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” – Whitney Houston: Sensing a theme? The best songs to get you out of a funk are the ones that get you moving. This one is my go-to for every wedding DJ — and it doesn’t disappoint. How could it? Just look at that hair!
- “I Love My Mama” – As Performed by Sean Hayes & Scott Icenogle: If you aren’t already following Sean Hayes on Facebook, then what the heck are you doing? Go now — don’t worry, I’ll wait right here. His latest creation is simply ameeeezing.
It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
Well friends, I’m visiting San Fran this weekend to find an apartment! I’m excited and anxious and hope to find something in a flash. It’ll all work out in the end, I know, but here’s what I’m focused on until my flight.
- Miracle Treat Day: Grab a treat from Dairy Queen this Thursday, and they’ll donate a portion of proceeds to cancer research. Helping others has never tasted so good.
- Hornblower Cruises: My office is having its summer outing this afternoon, aboard a mega yacht for more than a thousand people. Toot toot!
- Robin Williams: His death is heartbreaking, but not unheard of. The depression he suffered only magnifies how talented a performer he truly was. Rest in peace, Robin.
- “Dude Looks Like a Lady” – Aerosmith: Tough as it is to narrow down my favorite movie of his, “Mrs. Doubtfire” will always have my heart. The soundtrack alone was just perfect.
Maybe it’s the influx of new parents on my FB stalker feed. Maybe it’s missing my niece something fierce. Maybe it’s just that I have finally found a soft spot for (some) children.
Whatever the reason, here are some little nugs keeping me entertained this week:
- Allison: I’ve been obsessed with my niece for almost a year now — ask any of my friends — but I’m going through serious withdrawals lately. Just look at that faaaace. Do you wanna see 500 more photos? Inquire within.
- The “Apparently Kid”: This viral video features a young gingery boy who has the vernacular of an old-timer. His explanation of riding the super slide is to die for!
- Baby Cries Until You Let Her Rage to Katy Perry: My dear friend shared this video, because it reminded him of Allison. It’s reassuring to know I’ll be a great babysitter if it just takes pop music to make her happy.
- “Dark Horse” – Katy Perry: Well, obviously. I enjoyed the song (quietly) for some time, but I guess I can now make my obsession public. If it means it’ll stop a baby’s wailing, I’m all about it, KP.
I feel like all I can ever say lately is, “I’m tired.” Between crazy projects at work and crazy fun social events, I’m just run down and in need of Wittyburg time. Until I (ever?) learn how to relax, here’s what’s kept me smiling:
- lovejpep: My dear friend Justine’s birthday is tomorrow, so what better way to celebrate than catch up with her blog? It’s inspiring, thought-provoking and incredibly charming. Happy birthday, boobear!
- My High School Reunion: It’s still more than a year away, but some of my classmates are so eager, we’ve got a full-fledged #reuniongate on our hands. Their public passion about gay bars, family events and crepe paper is entertaining, if nothing else.
- East End Bar & Grill: This neighborhood spot is a new fave of mine for two very important reasons: They hosted my alumna group for a Mass Comm grad happy hour AND they have a buffalo sampler that will change your life. Priorities, people.
- “Bang Bang” – Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj: Spotify delivers once again — this time, with a trio of badass voices. It debuted yesterday and is already climbing the charts. Just try to get through it without dancing like a maniac.