And just like that, it’s No-freaking-vember. I understand yesterday was Oct. 31, so naturally, today is November, but HOW? I feel like a new mom when I say the days are long, but the years are short. Before we know it, we’ll be saying “sayonara” to the garbage dumpster of 2017 and embracing the newness of 2018 for all of about two hours. Woo-hoo!
- Join the Movember Movement: My friend Nate is back at it again, raising money and awareness for men’s health in his fifth consecutive Movember campaign. He’s already more than halfway to goal — and it’s only Nov. 1 — but you can still support and get a super-sweet pic if you donate $50+. And, with VISA checkout, donations are matched (up to $25, so split ‘em up if you want extra points)! It takes seconds but can save so many lives.
- “Stranger Things”: Uh, duh. I couldn’t dress as Barb yesterday and not be totally hooked on this Netflix original. I binged all of season 1 over the weekend in preparation for my role (and a friend’s themed party!), but I have yet to dive into season 2 so NO SPOILERS. From what I’ve watched you’ll be just fine if you can get through the spookiness of S1:E1. Plus, these kids are so talented — and hilarious!
- “The Good Place”: After bingeing on a creepy show, I obviously needed a mental break. So I binged the first season and was pleasantly surprised. Again, NO SPOILERS on season 2 so far! Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are devilishly funny; and I highly recommend it, as one of the freshest comedies I’ve seen in years. Even the Rotten Tomatoes critics and reviewers give it an 86-90% approval rating!
- “I Put a Spell on You” – Screamin’ Jay Hawkins: There are plenty of haunting Halloween classics I could write about, but this one’s been in my head lately so it takes the cake. Notice, I’m not even touting the version from “Hocus Pocus” — personal growth again? Screamin’ Jay sure knows how to grab your attention and make you want to groove. What’s your go-to Halloween song? We can still talk about it, despite so many attempts to make Christmas happen, like, today ::eye roll::
Happy Halloween weekend to all, from your friendly neighborhood insurance agent!
My plans consist of:
- Happy hours; yes, that’s meant to be plural
- “Hocus Pocus” — particularly for SJP’s finest work and the sisters’ rendition of “I Put a Spell on You”
- Football games (mostly yelling at the TV as my Fantasy dreams are squashed)
- Homemade caramel apples — not to be confused with candy apples, ick — if I can find any
What will you be for Halloween? And, where can I find a damn caramel apple?
I have a total girl crush on Zooey Deschanel from her roles in movies like “Elf” and “Failure to Launch” (literally, the only reason I dug the latter). But this quirky beauty has another side gig, among movies, a hit TV show, Cotton commercials and being the face of Rimmel: indie band She & Him.
Paired with guitarist M. Ward, Deschanel’s voice soars through both original and cover songs that will make you smile. She has contagious energy, and Him is a showman through and through.
Some of my favorite singles include:
- “I Put a Spell on You” (I was obsessed with “Hocus Pocus,” but that’s a separate discussion)
- “Me and You”
- “Dream a Little Dream of Me”
Grooving to these guys makes even the worst Case of the Mondays pretty bearable. They may even turn this Scrooge into a fan of Christmas music … maybe.