This one’s for the ladies! Side note: Every time I say that, I think of Tina Fey’s scene in “Baby Mama” where she gets on the turntables and plays “Lady in Red” at a Manhattan nightclub.
OK, back to business:
- International Women’s Day: Yesterday’s worldwide celebration of women was, simply put, awesome. Whether you shared inspirational quotes, sentimental stories or simply a smile to the ladies in your life, I hope you had a lovely day 🙂
- Saraswati’s Hijab Transformations: Talk about talent — this Malaysian makeup artist uses her hijab and makeup to transform into pop culture icons, from Disney personalities to comic book characters. Check out more of her work on Instagram @queenofluna.
- Ipsy: My brother and sister-in-law gifted me this beauty bag subscription service for Christmas, and “obsessed” is an understatement. The bags are super cute and reusable, and I’ve already fallen for a few of the products. It’s better than Birchbox, in my humble opinion.
- Spotify’s Women in Music & Culture Playlists: My fave music service also got in on the International Women’s Day festivities. Spotify released 15 playlists from various genres, highlighting decades of iconic females. I’m really digging the Women of Pop and Women of Country compilations… what about you?
This week’s finds have a bit of a recurring theme, but don’t get your hopes up for a new addition anytime soon. I simply find our four-legged friends to be a constant source of cuddly comfort and joy… that’s all.
- Marniethedog: This Instagram celebrity has 1.6 million followers, so you know she’s doing something right. That dumpy tongue and the cutest little getups are just a few reasons why you’ll love her, too.
- Dilan & Farley: Photographer Ivette Ivens’s son and French bulldog were born on the same day and have been raised like siblings together in their Chicago home. Her photo series will melt your heart and make you smile (some images NSFW).
- Corgi Beach Party: Ain’t no party like a corgi beach party, ‘cuz a corgi beach party don’t stop. Orrrr something like that… But seriously, how can you not squee over the infinite cuteness? I may or may not need a hobby.
- “Ex’s and Oh’s” – Elle King: I’m sure you’ve all fallen for this gritty, soulful song by now — but just in case you haven’t, here’s my official endorsement of the platinum-haired powerhouse and her first megahit. Just try and listen without jamming along.
There’s a phenomenon I hadn’t experienced until moving to San Francisco, known as Mercury in retrograde. This three-week period of time is said to wreak havoc on technology, communication and life in general … and it started today. Let’s try to put some balance back in our lives, shall we?
- Skellie @omgliterallydead: This viral Instagram takes all the millennialisms we love to hate and turns them into hilarious, filtered photos. This one’s caption? “Morning Yoga!! #yoga #yogaselfie #betterthancoffee #jk #nothingbeatscoffee #namastae #namastayinbed #om #flexible”
- Mr. Holmes Bakehouse: This SF bakery invented possibly the most delicious dessert craze ever — the cruffin. It’s a hybrid of flaky croissant pastry in the shape of a muffin, and the strawberries ‘n cream cruffin I had this weekend was pure heaven.
- Blue Apron: I don’t really know how to adult, but one of my goals this year is to gain more confidence in the kitchen (I can’t bake brownies for dinner forever). Enter this service, which delivers fresh ingredients and exciting recipes right to my door! I made my first meal with it last night, and I couldn’t be more proud.
- “Try” – Colbie Caillat: I can’t believe I haven’t featured this song yet, since it’s a constant star in my daily playlist. The video is powerful, and Caillat’s message is simple: You don’t have to change who you are, so long as you love yourself.
Inspired by the #tbt trend on Instagram, this new series will revisit an old favorite from years past on a when-I-feel-like-it basis. You’re welcome.
First, check out these awesome photos of me as a wee little Wittyburg — and don’t feel at all embarrassed for me.
Blurry on purpose.
Too much sass to handle.
These are not elaborate Halloween costumes, though I can see why you asked. No — these are samples of my stage presence in the early ’90s … from saloon girl to crab.*
Yep, that’s a crab in the first picture. Thanks, “Little Mermaid.”
And while the rhythm did indeed get me around age 10 and I hung up my tap shoes, this future starlet is destined for greatness:
Such commitment! Such showmanship!
For a good chunk of my childhood, afternoons were spent perfecting my pliés and pirouettes. I missed my calling as a prima ballerina (clearly), mainly because YouTube didn’t exist and our performance videos had a lot of parents coughing or snoring.
But I have hope for that little girl. If nothing else, she’s got the comedic timing down.
What was your first hobby? Extra points if you share awful pictures and/or hilarious videos.
*The gypsy costume, among others, is not pictured for good reason.
My day began with a fender bender and is ending with a Franny pack. Thankfully, Jimmy is a beast and took the hit like a champ — wish I could say the same for my spine, but it could have been much worse. Along with boxed wine, here are my current saviors:
- 30 Unhappiest etsy Pug Models: I have no shortage of love when it comes to pugs, and these unhappy craft-bearing pups are no exception. Pickles really steals the show here.
- Yogurtology: Froyo is a must for most occasions, and a crappy way to start the day just adds sprinkles to this statement. If Heaven were a place on Earth, Belinda Carlisle, this would be it.
- “Bossy” – Kelis f. Too $hort: Old song, new love. I never fully appreciated this beat when it came out years ago, but hearing it resurface on my playlist today kept me going full-force. Word.
- Printstagram: For all my fellow Instagram addicts, this service is a must. Miniprints, T-shirts and more await your uploads. Plus … who doesn’t love a good pun?
That’s all for me, kids. An ice pack and cardboard box of White Zin are calling my name.
I’ve been told no less than 10 times already this week that I look tired. Thanks, “friends.” Combine that with the fact that I ate chocolate cake for breakfast and am quickly finding the five pounds I lost last week? Killing it.
- Calming Manatee: What goes great with chocolate cake at 9 a.m.? A manatee to make you feel better about yourself. Co-worker and travel compadre, Kaley, introduced me to it and I can’t stop summoning.
- Instagram: I kind of cheated with this one, but I did just get an account and have since enjoyed the app. Besides, I make my own rules.
- Second Lunch: This comic-based blog just gets me. From roommate issues to engagement overload, it’s all covered — here and here, respectively — and it’s all so good.
- “Block after Block” – Matt & Kim: No matter the day I’ve had or how little sleep I’ve gotten, this song always makes me smile. It’s perfect for blowing off steam (do you see what I did there?).
Hey, look at that — one step closer to sleep and ridding myself of this exhausted expression.