First and foremost, please assist me in wishing my favorite Mom a very happy birthday. Love you much, Magz! Cheers to another year of health and happiness. And without further ado, this week’s pretty little things:
“Maggie May”: Confession: I am slightly biased in this choice, as it reminds me of my momma. But whether it’s the connection to my mom or the easy beat that keeps me relaxed, all I can say is that I simply adore this jam.
Cobalt Blue: This particular shade of blue is absolutely gorgeous and a regular staple in my wardrobe. With dark hair and fair skin, I can always rely on cobalt to make my features work for me. Lucky enough, the wedding I’m in this weekend showcases cobalt bridesmaid dresses that are to die for — and avoid the dreaded “27 Dresses” moment.
Margaritaville: This wedding promises to bring together good friends, good drinks and of course, good music. The bride and groom are avid Buffett fans, and I’ve been enjoying summer sips and music in preparation for a long night of dancing and, did I mention drinks? Wasting away again, indeed. Salud, Charlie and Jen!
Long Weekends: Between Chicago last week and the Labor Day + wedding combo, I’ve had back-to-back shortened workweeks. While I don’t love cramming all of my to-do lists and responsibilities into an abbreviated timeframe, it feels incredible to have five days off in a row (for the first time in more than three years)! I. Dig. It.
This marks my 10th Weekly Obsession post — and the longest commitment to a relationship I’ve made in a long time. Some changes are coming to the WOs shortly, but in the meantime, I hope you’re all enjoying ’em.
Between this summer’s relentless rain and suffocating humidity, my face melts off daily and I’m in a piss-poor mood. What’s a girl to do? Stick head in freezer, sit in front of fan and crank up these tunes. Presenting Wittyburg’s Summer Playlist:
- Big Pimpin’, Jay Z. Let’s get this started with a bang and ri-i-i-i-i-ide.
- Cruel Summer, Ace of Base or Bananarama. I prefer the AoB version, but whichever tickles your pickle will be just fine.
- Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett. Classic, classic, classic. Best enjoyed on the rocks with salt.
- Summertime, Kenny Chesney. Any song that mentions bare feet, bikinis and Yoo-hoo is a winner in my book.
- All of the Lights, Kanye West. From the sick thumping beat to Kanye’s classic way with words, this is my latest iPod fave for summer workouts.
- Boys of Summer, Don Henley or The Ataris. I love both versions and will happily raise a glass to these boiz.
- Summertime, Sublime. The livin’s easy in LBC (Long Beach County), and the boys of Sublime are just too cool.
- Tonight, Tonight, Hot Chelle Rae. I can’t get enough of this upbeat hook and melody. Currently obsessed!
- Summer Girl, Jessica Andrews. Her bumper sticker reads, “Drink till he’s cute.” Hello, life motto.
- Hot in Herre, Nelly. You can put a Band-Aid on my face anytime, Cornell Haynes, Jr.
- Summer Nights, Rascal Flatts. I may or not be biased with the Daytona reference … but it’s still a great tune.
- Summer of ’69, Bryan Adams. It’s the quintessential light-rock song that you know every (fifth) word to.
- American Honey, Lady Antebellum. Sickly sweet lyrics and a heavenly voice make it a go-to.
- Summer Girls, LFO. Those Lyte Funky Ones sure know how to drop a rhyme. Bonus points if you like ruby-red slippers and a bunch of trees; the great Larry Bird, jersey 33.
- Steal My Sunshine, Len. The video was filmed in Daytona (biased again), but the beat is more infectious than Herpes Simplex I.
- Blister in the Sun, Violent Femmes. Heard at every bar all summer long, you can’t argue with this classic. Now, what the lyrics are about … well, that’s debatable.
What songs keep your summer spirits up? Am I missing any that are must-haves when temperatures rise?