Tag Archive | john oliver
WO: Weekly Obsessions
I’m really, really ready for this election season to be over; and I’m really, really tired of reading ignorant hate spewed all over the internet. (Fun fact: The New York Times recently got on board with the AP Style change to lowercase “internet.”) All that said, it turns out there are some good things still in this world:
- SOMA StrEAT Food Park: I have the terrible first-world problem of working for a company that provides lunch every day. But, when I’m looking for a mid-day date with my boyfriend that won’t break the bank, this is the place to go. There are tons of options for every palate, and who doesn’t love a good food pun?
- The Hot Dog Princess: When a local dance class asked its students to come dressed as princesses, one little lady chose to go her own way. That’s right, she dressed as a hot dog. Anyone else want to be Ainsley’s best friend? Yeah, well… get in line.
- To Brock Turner’s Father, from Another Father: You’ve heard, no doubt, about Stanford swimmer Brock Turner — who was sentenced to just six months of prison after being convicted of raping a young woman. His dad’s tone-deaf response was despicable, but this educated response from another father is simply stunning.
- John Oliver Forgives $15M of Medical Debt: I already thought John Oliver was an angel, but his latest move takes the cake. He forgave $15 MILLION of Americans’ medical debt, for a fraction of the cost, because he was outraged by the fucked-up structure of healthcare. Take 20 minutes to watch and learn, and God bless the man who just beat Oprah to earn his wings.
Images courtesy of: Frozen Kushterd, Huffington Post, Stanford University Public Safety, Stat News
WO: Weekly Obsessions
A fluffy furball, an awards ceremony to remember, an extra day to do something and a rant to end all rants. I’d say it’s a pretty good week!
- This Puppy with Braces: Brace yourself. (Yeah, I went there.) Wesley is a six-month-old golden retriever suffering from teething problems and pain. Luckily, his owner, Molly Moore, is the daughter of a veterinarian who specializes in dentistry. Voila! Cutest damn metal mouth you’ve ever seen. Now this is a “break the Internet” trend I can appreciate.
- The 88th Annual Academy Awards: Despite boycotts and ultimately, historically low viewership, this year’s Oscars provided difficult — yet necessary — commentary. From lack of diversity to sexual abuse, environmental impact and more, Chris Rock et al. were not afraid to go there. If only our Presidential candidates could speak so passionately and maintain their dignity.
- Leap Day: What else am I late to the game to comment on? February 29 was Leap Day, AKA an extra day to get shit done and be amazing. Of course, it was a Monday, so I grumbled through my morning routine and was exhausted by dinnertime. All I can say is, I’m glad it’s only every four years (and the next one’s a Saturday)!
- “Last Week Tonight” Makes Donald Drumpf Again: I often refrain from public commentary about politics and absolutely refuse to tolerate disrespectful comments about this. Take 20 minutes with John Oliver’s brilliant takedown of Donald Trump and recognize the reality we face with this election. I’m not into scare tactics, but let’s prevent a living nightmare.
Images courtesy of: BuzzFeed, Coming Soon, Facebook, HitFix