So, today marks 10 years since my high school graduation. And I happened to wake up today to find my first-ever grandma chin hair. This world is so cruel. Here’s what is keeping me pleasantly distracted from reality:
- Memorial Day: Monday’s federal holiday has a lot more to do with service and sacrifice than barbecues and beach days, but teaching that to America’s youths is unlikely. Instead, I think it’s realistic to just take a few minutes Monday (and every day?) to remember the men and women who gave all to protect our freedoms.
- SUMMER FRIDAYS: Sweet, glorious half-days have returned to my office, from this week till Labor Day. There’s no better way to celebrate our teams making it through nearly five months of nonstop work. Hallelujah!
- “Mad Men” Finale: For seven seasons, we’ve followed the movers and shakers of Sterling, Cooper & Partners (and all its variations). Don Draper and crew bade us farewell with Sunday’s finale, and while I have mixed emotions about the ending, I will always have love for the menaces of Madison Ave.
- “Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift: You heard me. Combine a badass video (23MM+ views!) that features a bunch of cool celebs with an awesome beat and smooth lyrics, and I’m officially a T. Swift fan. Lord help us all.
I started out this week sick and exhausted, but my energy is slowly picking back up. Could be the beautiful SF weather we’re having, or the fact that UberPOOL has been offering $5 rides anywhere in town … hello, easiest commute ever. Whatever the reason, here’s what else I’m digging:
- “The Celebrity Apprentice”: I know, I know. I watch the worst TV. But I just can’t help tuning in to see what crazy things Kenya, Brandi and Geraldo will say next. Join me, won’t you? Mondays, 8-10 p.m. local time on NBC.
- La Croix: I’ve been trying really hard to cut back on my Coke addiction (read: soda). Enter this sparkling water, which I was so skeptical of until I finally bought a 12-pack. It’s light and refreshing, yet crisp and flavorful.
- Super Bowl XLIX (I Guess): OK, so I couldn’t care less about #deflategate and will only be watching for the commercials this year. Whom do you choose when you hate both teams? Katy Perry for her halftime show, that’s who.
- Sia – “Elastic Heart”: The music video has gotten a lot of flak, but Sia’s dancers and their chilling performance on SNL a few weeks ago is what’s really stuck with me. The lyrics are eerily beautiful, too.
Some content is NSFW.
Maybe it’s the influx of new parents on my FB stalker feed. Maybe it’s missing my niece something fierce. Maybe it’s just that I have finally found a soft spot for (some) children.
Whatever the reason, here are some little nugs keeping me entertained this week:
- Allison: I’ve been obsessed with my niece for almost a year now — ask any of my friends — but I’m going through serious withdrawals lately. Just look at that faaaace. Do you wanna see 500 more photos? Inquire within.
- The “Apparently Kid”: This viral video features a young gingery boy who has the vernacular of an old-timer. His explanation of riding the super slide is to die for!
- Baby Cries Until You Let Her Rage to Katy Perry: My dear friend shared this video, because it reminded him of Allison. It’s reassuring to know I’ll be a great babysitter if it just takes pop music to make her happy.
- “Dark Horse” – Katy Perry: Well, obviously. I enjoyed the song (quietly) for some time, but I guess I can now make my obsession public. If it means it’ll stop a baby’s wailing, I’m all about it, KP.
I have every intention of posting more regularly — I promise. But something about the weather and this time of year has me inspired more to socialize than write … it’s a real problem for my wallet (and my liver). Till I can get my act together, here’s what else I’m digging:
- Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock: I saw this feel-good video on BuzzFeed and was in tears after approximately 20 seconds. Consider donating to their causes and definitely appreciate the awesomeness.
- Retail Therapy: Few things comfort and quiet me the way a good deal does, and I’ve gotten a double dose this week. My employee discount + LOFT’s 50% off sale today = may or may not be broke till payday.
- Hot Apple Cider: Our office Keurigs get plenty of use from others, but I rarely make myself anything. That all changed when a friend recommended the Green Mountain Hot Apple Cider K-Cups. Holy delicious and fall-tastic!
- “What Does the Fox Say?” – Ylvis: I hate myself for letting this song get stuck in my head, but how can you resist the catchiest parody video in months? Simple. Watch their latest release, “Massachusetts” instead.
I say it every month, but seriously — how are we already halfway through October? Cooler weather is in full effect, causing all of NYC to layer up and party down.
Halloween is just 15 days away, which means the early-celebators of Christmas are already being assholes. Can’t time just slow down for a little?
- James Wolk: I first loved this guy from his short stint on “Happy Endings” and really enjoyed him rocking shorty shorts on “Mad Men” this season. Now the hottie with a body is on “The Crazy Ones,” and I will buy whatever he is selling. Hands down.
- “I Am Malala”: This memoir from women’s rights and education activist (not to mention, medical miracle) Malala Yousufzai just arrived in my mailbox. It’s no wonder she was the youngest Nobel Prize nominee — check out her interview with Jon Stewart and feel terrible about how little you accomplished by 16.
- Catch: I had the pleasure of meeting my second cousin last week, and she introduced me to this phenomenal seafood restaurant in the Meatpacking District. We shared scallops, shrimp and a few other appetizers … each one more delicious than the last.
- “Roar” – Katy Perry: This song made a stir a few months back, due to its uncanny resemblance to Sara Bareilles’s single, “Brave.” Whatever your take, I prefer Perry’s music for once in my life. Grrrrowl.