It’s been far too long since I did a full-blown WO so I’m back with a vengeance. Not really, but it has been one of the most challenging weeks in recent memory and I’m doing my damndest to work through it without imploding.
- Vacation in Sight: That’s right, the countdown is on for a little getaway to Deutschland AKA Germany. My body is ready for all of the beer, bread, pretzels, and other stereotypical fare we can expect at none other than OKTOBERFEST. Am I excited? You betcha.
- A Dirndl: Basically the only thing that turned my mood around today (pre-vacation stress, you know) was receiving my Oktoberfest outfit. My inspiration may or may not have been Gracie Lou Freebush, and I just have a few finishing touches to make it perfekt.
- Alligator’s Birthday: My eldest niece turns SIX tomorrow. Where does the time go? She is smart, sassy, and all the things I wish I was at her age. As the leader of now two other little sisters, she’s got some big shoes to fill. Luckily, big feet run in our family. Happy almost birthday, Alligator! Ah-nt Ah-mahn-dah loves you!
- “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish: I’ve somehow managed to miss covering this megahit teen sensation who is all the things I could never be at her age. The video is hauntingly fascinating, from skinned knees to dance moves, and the tune cannot stay out of my head for more than 2 hours at a time. I’d say “you go girl” but then I think her fans would find me and beat me up.
This week our little Witty family finds itself in San Diego (insert Anchorman joke here). It’s been fun so far seeing my nieces light up with excitement over everything from the donut shop to the hotel room sliding glass door. It’s not been the best to see them freak out over sharing and pushing elevator buttons buuuut you win some, you lose some.
- The Donut Bar: Don’t let the simple name fool you. This sweet shop offers fun, festive donuts and a ton of drinks on tap (including rich chocolate milk). It also happens to be a block from our hotel, making it almost impossible to resist. Somehow, we’ve only managed to go twice so far 😉 And, compared to SF prices, they’re a good deal for the size of the sweets.
- The Taco Stand: I won’t give San Diego points for naming creativity, but maybe their businesses just benefit from Google search terms. Right next to The Donut Bar is this fan favorite of locals and visitors alike. I tried the nopal (cactus), fried fish, and shrimp varieties, and 2/3 were truly perfect. We’re heading to the La Jolla location for sunset on Friday, so I’ll be sure to report back about round two.
- Muppet Babies: One of the benefits of being around kiddos is learning about all the stuff they watch. I had no idea this classic cartoon was redone for Disney and featuring an all-new (to me) character, a penguin named Summer. Fozzie still has awful jokes; Kermie is still helpless without my fave, Miss Piggy; and Animal is still my younger niece’s spirit… animal. Gonzo rounds out the crew for ridiculous adventures and antics.
- Disneyland: A second benefit of kid time is seeing the
worlder, land, through their eyes. Even though they’re already experts at Walt Disney World, they got to experience a whole new (to them) park and distinguish differences between the two. From the classic It’s a Small World and Thunder Mountain Railroad to the Star Wars area, infinity and beyond, they had an absolute blast.
Do you ever have anxiety to the point where you can feel it rising in your throat, just below the surface, and you’re almost scared to speak in case it manifests in a very vomit-y way? No? Me either, I was just asking for a friend.
- Vow to Be Chic: Nothing to be anxious about here. A friend’s friend told me about this ingenious service, and I had to share it with you all. Bridal parties, listen up! Now you can rent (or buy) your dress for an affordable price — so you won’t even have to worry about when you’ll wear a $300 frock again. Can I get an “Amen”?
- “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace”: Will this ACS season top its inaugural foray into The People v. OJ Simpson? Hard to tell. But with another all-star cast and a horrific case, it’ll definitely be thrilling to watch. Full disclosure: I set the DVR as soon as I possibly could! #nerdalert
- Tavaris Jones: You may have seen Tavaris wow the crowd with his dancing on “Ellen” before, but he’s back making headlines with his major moves. How does a tiny human slay the halftime show so smoothly? If I had even 1/10th of his swag, I’d be happy.
- “Finesse” – Bruno Mars f. Cardi B: I was born in the late ’80s, so I consider myself a ’90s kid. And there’s no current song that references the era better than this straight-to-the-top hit. From the “In Living Color” references to the just-announced GRAMMYs performance, this one is sure to be in our heads for a while. Da bomb!
Despite needing a few days to recover from Katie’s fantastic visit, I managed to fill up last weekend with plenty of plans. I should be recovered just in time for another whirlwind weekend. It’s an ugly cycle, ain’t it?
- Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters: I recently met up with a new friend at this delightful little coffee shop. The croissant was delicious, and the iced coffee was the perfect jumpstart to my day. Another SF location is coming soon, and I can’t wait to see this place really take off!
- “The Bachelorette”: I totally hate myself for getting sucked into this series, but Kaitlyn Bristowe is just so entertaining — plus, the guys are equal parts intriguing and repulsive. The pool we’re running at work may or may not also have some influence on my addiction.
- Riley Curry: Kids say the darndest things, and this precocious 2-year-old is no exception. She’s getting national attention for being the freshest addition to any press conference, and she sure as hell knows how to work the camera.
- “Blessings” – Big Sean f. Drake & Kanye West: Now that you’ve fallen in love with Riley, I dare you to listen to this song and not hear “Bwessings” in her voice. Sorry, boys. The toddler wins every time.
For the first time in forever, I’m really excited for the holidays and Christmastime — and it’s only December 10! Maybe it’s because I’m in love with my new city, or maybe it’s my new city’s constant weed aroma in the air. Whatever the case, here are four things to fa-la-la for:
- Christmas Decorations: I never even knew ornament stands existed, but this is perfect for commitment-phobes and people with smaller spaces (me and me). Leftover ornaments make fun additions to a table and doorway. Huzzah!
- Winter Walk SF: Right near Macy’s Union Square, SF residents and visitors can take a break from holiday shopping with a festive frolic on the turf. Kittens and carolers and food trucks oh my! Now through January 1.
- Pictures with Santa: Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing children cry at the sight of Santa. (I’m not completely jolly, as you should have guessed.) This priceless shot of my niece, Allison, and her amazing parents, will hang on my fridge for years.
- “Elf”: I just like to smile, smiling’s my favorite. And it just isn’t winter without watching this Will Ferrell classic. Trivia buffs can enjoy these fun facts, too — thanks for the find, Magz!
Maybe it’s the influx of new parents on my FB stalker feed. Maybe it’s missing my niece something fierce. Maybe it’s just that I have finally found a soft spot for (some) children.
Whatever the reason, here are some little nugs keeping me entertained this week:
- Allison: I’ve been obsessed with my niece for almost a year now — ask any of my friends — but I’m going through serious withdrawals lately. Just look at that faaaace. Do you wanna see 500 more photos? Inquire within.
- The “Apparently Kid”: This viral video features a young gingery boy who has the vernacular of an old-timer. His explanation of riding the super slide is to die for!
- Baby Cries Until You Let Her Rage to Katy Perry: My dear friend shared this video, because it reminded him of Allison. It’s reassuring to know I’ll be a great babysitter if it just takes pop music to make her happy.
- “Dark Horse” – Katy Perry: Well, obviously. I enjoyed the song (quietly) for some time, but I guess I can now make my obsession public. If it means it’ll stop a baby’s wailing, I’m all about it, KP.
We’re almost halfway through 2014, people. Can you believe it? I thought summer days were supposed to be long and lazy, but I was apparently mistaken.
- Cousins Take Over!: 2 of my cousins from Florida visited all last week, and they covered more ground than I thought humanly possible. From Broadway shows (four!) to Yankee Stadium, they took Manhattan by storm.
- FIFA World Cup: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know the World Cup is providing tons of highlights and heartache. From the hottest players to this one who thinks he’s Hannibal Lecter, the drama is nonstop. And, of course: USA! USA! USA!
- “The People’s Couch”: I’m a sucker for all things Bravo, and this little gem is no exception. Watch various groups of people watch TV — sounds silly, right? Well, it is … but it’s also incredibly entertaining. New episodes air Tuesdays at 10 p.m. EST.
- Baby Girl Argues with Bulldog: This just might be the cutest baby video (except for ones with my niece) ever. Her hand gestures really sell the point that she is NOT happy with the family pet. Enjoy!