My cold is still lingering and SF’s notoriously chilly summers aren’t helping. Here’s what’s trying to break through and clear up my mental Fog-ust.
- “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”: My bestie here does not go to the movies. Seriously, she hadn’t been to a movie theater in five years. So when she suggested we see this sequel to the 2008 classic, I jumped at the chance. The costumes are fun, the songs are infectious and you won’t be able to watch it without humming along.
- Libby: I severely underestimated how life-changing it is to have a library card again. And with Libby, a new app from Overdrive, I can skip the Kindle app altogether and read right from my phone or iPad on a sleek and easy-to-use interface. #NerdToTheMax
- “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”: Thanks fall film previews, I was tempted to dig into Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series. My new buddy Libby made it impossible to resist, and I subsequently devoured the first in the trilogy in three nights. At this rate, I’ll be ready for “The Girl in the Spider’s Web” long before its debut in November.
- “When I Kissed the Teacher” – ABBA: This is one ABBA song I didn’t know by heart, but Lily James’s performance in MM2 makes it hard to forget. Who wouldn’t have wanted their college graduation ceremony to go like this? I only wish this lyric video was used in the film itself.
Am I still blowing out birthday candles? Yes. Am I mad about it? No.
- The Never-Ending Birthday: Yes, it’s been seven days since my birthday and YES, I am with you, hating on people who are still setting off fireworks. But I’ve been quite surprised to enjoy so many celebrations, from a pinata at work to a park picnic to a delicious dinner and more. I’m feeling the love, folks!
- SFPL Is #1: You may recall my infatuation with the library and this article cements why the San Francisco Public Library is truly top-notch. From engaging programs to redefining the role of librarians, it’s clear the SFPL is #1 in our hearts and the Dewey Decimal System. (Don’t @ me for a DDS joke, y’all.)
- “52 Lists for Happiness”: This weekly journal has made the rounds on plenty of gift-giving lists and must-have articles. It was gifted to me last year, and while I wasn’t diligently sticking to the habit (and am therefore, not done), I can honestly say it’s given me a healthy and helpful way to document the things I’m proud of. Plus, it’s preeetty.
- All Drake Everythang: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard about Drake’s latest record-breaking album “Scorpion” and mega collaborations. Just look at the Billboard Hot 100 — he’s on 13 of the top 21! If that doesn’t scream “Success!” I don’t know what does.
I acknowledge time flying by nearly every week here, but I just have to say, I was asked about my plans for the fall today and nearly had a full-blown meltdown. I understand June is creeping around the corner but THE FALL? Please, don’t make me think that far. I can barely plan my next hour.
- Overdrive: An added benefit to voraciously reading Refinery 29’s Monday Diaries is that I often learn about apps and services to make life easier. It’s how I heard of this app, and “obsessed” is an understatement. Simply log in with your library card and gain instant access to thousands of options. It’s my first actual foray into e-reading, but I’m beyond excited to dig into more books than ever before.
- MealPal: While I’d heard of MealPal while living in NYC, I hadn’t researched or revisited it since moving here. Then I read yet another R29 MD and, well, now I’m its newest member who’s enjoying $6 lunches (instead of $20 salads). Want a promo code? Sign up here.
- Half-Price Mondays: Memorial Day was the perfect backdrop to join some girlfriends from Tampa at the A’s/Rays game. And wouldn’t you know it? The Treehouse — a beautiful, shiny stadium spot with a full bar and games — offers half-price drinks on Mondays. No mustache required, and it almost made a 13-inning game painless.
- “This Is America” – Childish Gambino: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely already heard and watched this. Breaking news reporting over here, I know. But I haven’t covered it yet with WOs AND Cardi B brought it top of mind with her *shocking* discovery that Donald Glover and Childish Gambino are the same person. Pssst … the video is NSFW, in case you haven’t heard.