OK, so I finally understand why people find Christmastime in New York City so magical. The lights, the decorations, the snow … it’s all pretty exciting for this Florida girl. Here’s what else has me fa-la-laing:
- This London Fog Coat: Remember how I’d marry those LOFT leggings if I could (I’m wearing them again today, obviously). Well, the same goes for this absolutely perfect winter coat. It fits like a dream and is warm without being bulky — just look how happy that model is!
- #PaleGirlProblems: My fair-skinned frand was such a peach for showing me this list of true issues for the fair and freckled. As much as I’m loving the winter here so far, it sure does make me realize just how pasty I can get. Hooray!
- People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Drucks struck gold twice this week when she shared an amazing blog that so encapsulates everything I want to be in life. From overachieving mommies to movie-theater a-holes, she’s got it all covered.
- “Evolution of Beyoncé” – Pentatonix: It’s been a while (read: NEVER) since I featured a song from Queen B. This should count for at least a half a point, since it’s a Beyoncé-inspired medley of magic. Pentatonix, you just won yourself a new fan.
Did you guys know it’s an election year? I hadn’t heard until recently — and even then, I thought it was an election for the next Olympic Master of Ceremonies. (McCartney 2016, anyone?) Sarcasm-laden sentences aside, I am suuuper ready for the presidential election to be dunzo.
And since the results will only mean more complaining and political posts, I’ve got my own nominations for Wittyburg Elections 2012. Get your ballots in now!
Voting Key: (I) = Incumbent, (C) = Challenger
Best Campaign Gaffe
- (I) Biden’s Awkward Biker Pic – Nothing says “Vote!” like an old white guy hanging with Hell’s Angels.
- (C) Romney’s “Binders Full of Women” Comment – Inspiring thousands of Halloween costumes.
Worst Song of 2012
- (I) “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” – Taylor Swift does it again (makes my ears bleed).
- (C) “Gangnam Style” – The dance alone is cringe-worthy, but the lyrics put it over the edge.
Best Arnett Kid
- (I) Abel – As my brother will tell you, first-born is always the favorite.
- (C) Archie – His ginger death stare is terrifying.
Worst Natural Disaster
- (I) Lindsay Lohan – There’s no saving this Hollywood train wreck.
- (C) Hurricane Sandy* – 8 million without power and landmarks destroyed.
Best Cast of “The Real Housewives”
- (I) New Jersey – Flipping tables was just the beginning.
- (C) Atlanta – Former Miss USA joins the cast … let the drama unfold.
Make sure you vote in the presidential election too, of course, and check out the Honey Boo Boo costume contest I’m seriously part of. Real life.
*Regarding the horrific Hurricane Sandy, take two minutes and donate to The Red Cross to support relief efforts.
The American public is obsessed with train wrecks. We live for the recap of Lindsay’s sentencing. We can’t wait to see what dumb thing Mel will say next. We eagerly consume all of the TMZ and Perez accounts of seeing Britney’s … well, Britney.
What is it about these people that is so fascinating? Maybe it’s because we crave the real-life entertainment value. Reality television isn’t enough, nor are the inconsequential details of our everyday lives, so let’s all gather ’round and watch the A-Lister crash and burn.
Or is it because we can’t wait to see famous people fall (figuratively and literally)? I think that most people are good at heart; but I can’t help and wonder if we love to see “idols” knocked off their pedestals, reminding us that everyone is human.
All of this ruckus around Charlie Sheen especially, has made my head want to explode. I can usually take about 10 minutes of celebrity gossip before I want to asphyxiate myself. When it comes to Sir Douche Canoe, I can take approximately 10 seconds. As a wagering enthusiast, I know that’s not a great over/under.
Not only does he “star” in one of the worst television programs I’ve ever witnessed, but he is just plain self-destructive. Did Martin not pay him enough attention as a child? Was he jealous of Emilio’s success in The Mighty Ducks: 1, 2 and 3? These are understandable setbacks, but for fuck’s sake Charles, it’s time to grow up.
Don’t get me wrong; I’d be thrilled if his demise continued until he was shoved out of the spotlight forever. I just don’t want to hear about it.
But seeing as how unlikely that is for our society, a toast is in order. A tip of the hat to you train wrecks everywhere. Good luck and may God have mercy on your soul.