Tomorrow is my birthday, which means I’d normally be in a constant mode of self-reflection and criticism and wondering if I’m where I “should” be. It only feels good in the moment, as if I’m “doing something about it,” but then leaves me in a tailspin of turmoil. What I find much more rejuvenating (and as a result, better for my skin!) is to live and let live. Look out, 32!
- Birthday, Unabashed: I’m a constant work in progress, always looking to learn and grow and evolve. All that pressure, though, is exhausting. When I take stock of things in my life, I am more happy than not. I am more at peace with my accomplishments and failures, my triumphs and trials, than I’ve been in a very long time. That’s something to celebrate.
- Self-Care Saturday: A big piece of my identity has been how low maintenance I aim to be. But, that’s often equated to me not taking care of myself in ways I actually do enjoy. So last Saturday, I had my makeup done by the magical Melinda at Sephora and my hair done by the genius Paul at Atelier Emmanuel, and I didn’t feel ashamed or frivolous or self-conscious for a single second 💁♀️
- This Map: The first gift this year was from my biggest fan, my Mom. Another selfish (in a good way) pursuit I’m working on is traveling more, and this scratch-off map will help ensure inspired planning. Spoiler alert: We already have tickets booked for Ireland in August, and I’ll be hitting up Germany’s Oktoberfest in the fall. Danke, Mama!
- “Truth Hurts” – Lizzo: I’m obsessed with Lizzo’s entire album, music videos, voice, body, ALL. OF. IT. This banger is far and away my favorite. I wake up with it in my head, I go to sleep with it in my head, I hum it in the shower, I’ve contributed to ~100 views of the video. Painting a pretty clear picture of my devotion, no? Some NSFW lyrics but I dare you to not love it.
First things first: San Francisco had a massive gas leak explosion and fire today. Thankfully, I was far away and there are no reports of injuries, but the destroyed businesses and homes won’t be easily replaced. I had a much different intro planned, but this obviously takes precedence.
- The Saddle Rack: A dear friend hosted her birthday celebration at this Fremont institution last weekend, and it did not disappoint. Turns out I have zero future in a country line dancing career, but the endless plaid, jeans, boots, hats and entertainment made up for my failure. I look forward to our next rodeo there soon!
- Holiday Inn Express: What made our journey to The Saddle Rack most memorable was the nearby Holiday Inn Express and its fantastic amenities. Free shuttle rides to and from the venue, plus a FREAKING PANCAKE MACHINE for the continental breakfast = color me impressed. I have no doubt we’ll be back again.
- Tesla Model 3: I know, I’m officially an SF resident. My good friend offered her chauffeur services in this zippy little number. There are a million little thoughtful touches and fun features, and the ride is about as smooth as you can imagine. I won’t be getting one for myself anytime soon, but a girl can dream.
- “Good as Hell” – Lizzo: You know those songs that just make you want to get up and dance? This jam is that times a million. I can’t hear it without putting my sassiest, boppiest, most fun-loving face on. Even when it’s cold and rainy or it’s been a terrible day, Lizzo gets me out of that funk.