A San Francisco tradition, a local legend, a Monterey murder aaand a Kiwi songbird… What’s not to love?
- Ferry Building Farmer’s Market: I’m not one for crowds, so I didn’t think I’d ever be brave enough to shuffle through this iconic Saturday farmer’s market along the Embarcadero in SF. A friend convinced me after our gym class this weekend, and although it was packed — thanks in part to the gorgeous weather — it was such a treat to support local businesses. Perfect produce, fresh flowers and artisanal accoutrements, oh my!
- Slim’s: Established in 1988, Slim’s is an SF venue for the history books. I made my patron debut there Sunday night, seeing Electric Six for the third year in a row — this time, with a friend instead of my ex 😁 While I’ve enjoyed each of their performances, the band sounded better than ever… and I think Slim’s had a hand in that. The vibe is cozy but dynamic, cool but not pretentious. I’ll be sure to revisit soon and test my theory with other performers.
- “Big Little Lies”: If you haven’t been watching this HBO miniseries, explain yourself. I’m not the biggest fan of Nicole Kidman or Shailene Woodley (or Reese Witherspoon, lately), BUT this show blew my biased expectations out of the water. The characters are multidimensional, the story is riveting and the soundtrack alone makes it worth a watch. If you’ve seen through the finale, check out this article about the characters’ costume choices.
- “Green Light” – Lorde: I’ve loved all of Lorde’s singles thus far, so it’s no surprise her long-awaited latest is a hit. Her vocals remind me of Ellie Goulding meets Asteroids Galaxy Tour, with her own signature sound ever-present. Don’t let the upbeat tempo and pop feel fool you — this song is about devastating heartache and loss. Well done, Lorde. I can’t wait to hear what else Melodrama brings.
In the ongoing effort to make me a true resident of this great city, I am beyond thrilled to announce that I’ll finally have assembled furniture in my apartment tomorrow! No more air mattress, no more standing in the kitchen to eat, no more sitting on the floor … unless I’m feeling super hippy-dippy and want to do some yoga. PRAISE IT.
- The Freakin’ World Series: This city is electric with the hopes of a win tonight in Game 7 of the World Series. We may never be Royals, but I think that’s a good thing. Either way, I hope a parade is in the works!
- La Taqueria: My co-workers introduced me to this heavenly little spot last weekend, and I plan to go back for more soon. The carnitas hard-shell tacos were sheer perfection on a plate — no wonder it was named America’s Best Burrito!
- Halloweenie: Hellerrrr, my favorite holiday is Friday! How will I ever live up to the costumes of years past? Easy: I just won’t. I’m still stoked to host a good friend, visiting from San Jose!
- “Black Widow” – Iggy Azalea f. Rita Ora: Iggy absolutely KILLED it on SNL last week, and Rita is like the version of Rihanna I can actually stand. Plus, this tune is perfect for the spooktacular holiday!
George Zimmerman has a girlfriend and Adam Levine is People‘s Sexiest Man Alive? My friend Kaley said it best — the world is going insane. What’s a girl to do when everyone else seems to be losing their mind? Earbuds in, music on, disappear from society. Here we go:
- SNL – “Worst Cover Songs of All Time”: This season had its hits and misses, but I cannot stop watching this hilarious infomercial for awesomely bad cover songs. Nathan Lane takes the cake by far!
- AcaBelles – “Royals”: I still haven’t seen “Pitch Perfect” (the horror!) but these ladies from FSU straight up kill Lorde’s song. Now, how do I do that mouth-drum thing?
- Phillip Phillips – “Gone, Gone, Gone”: I didn’t think this horribly named young man could do any better than last year’s smash single, “Home.” Boy, is my face red. Let’s just say obsession is putting it mildly here.
- Avicii – “Wake Me Up”: Full disclosure: I confuse this song with ol’ Phillip squared on a regular basis. The key difference? This one gets me pumped like none other.
Click the links above to watch, or enjoy the three I can embed (thanks a heap, SNL).
It’s safe to say my week has been a challenging one. And while I mourn the last of my Summer Fridays, the coming weekend brings my college bestie to the big city and I. CAN’T. WAIT. Until she arrives, here’s what’s keeping me happy:
- Beck Bennett: This year’s favorite spokesperson was just cast for the upcoming season of SNL, and I couldn’t be happier. Here’s hoping he’ll be a standout, along with his Good Neighbor comedy partners, Kyle Mooney and Dave McCreary.
- National Bow Tie Day: I fully support this totally-not-made-up holiday, simply because a bow tie should be celebrated. From Huckleberry Hound to Pee Wee Herman himself, the bow tie is a thing of beauty.
- College Football: It’s the most wonderful time of the yeeear! I can’t wait to celebrate the return of my USF Bulls to the gridiron. Wear your college colors Friday and vote for Rocky in the Capital One mascot contest — because I said so.
- “Royals” – Lorde: Blame it on Pandora. I can’t get this song out of my head, in large part to it being thumbs-upped and me listening to music 50+ hours/week. Excuses aside, I think you’ll love it too.