Raise your hand if your brackets are busted 🙋🏻 Thanks a heap, Wisconsin and South Carolina. Aside from ripping paper to shreds, here’s what else I’ve been into lately:
- NOT These Boots: San Francisco’s wonky weather patterns continue, and yesterday’s monsoon retired these Chooka rain boots faster than you can say “shit.” I purchased them in 2014, but have worn them no more than 10 times, so it was a total disappointment and waste of money. Here’s hoping these highly rated Sam Edelman booties will serve me better.
- Rusted Mule: I was thrilled to celebrate a dear friend’s birthday last night with drinks at Rusted Mule and dinner at The Saratoga. While both were phenomenal, I’m prioritizing Rusted Mule for its newness and happy hour specials. It opened less than two months ago and feels tucked away, while still getting a good mix of people. Bonus: Taco Tuesday was truly tasty and the Yelp reviews are crazy entertaining!
- Surprise Meetups: After a killer workout this morning, I was sore but super excited to volunteer at the SF-Marin Food Bank with some co-workers. Little did I know, my former team at macys.com was volunteering, too! It was such a pleasure seeing familiar faces — some new ones, too! — and I loved catching up with them all. Giving back + surprise meetups = win-win.
- “It Ain’t Me” – Kygo f. Selena Gomez: I had no clue who Kygo was (still don’t) but I DID know this earworm was stuck, stuck, stuck in my head for days on end. I also barely know the difference between Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato, but I do know there’s a ton of talent in this tune and you should certainly listen.
The rainy season is back in SF, and despite the drought, we’re actually getting some storms. What better way to take shelter from the showers than with these feel-good finds?
- Send a Card to Safyre: You’ve no doubt heard of this little girl, who was the lone survivor of a house fire in 2013. Now in the care of her aunt, Safyre’s one Christmas wish is to receive holiday cards from around the world. Send some cheer to this strong survivor at:
P.O. Box 6126
Schenectady, NY 12306
- Free Rides with Uber: I doubt there are many who haven’t yet tried Uber. If you are one of those special unicorns, though, you can get $15 in free rides with my promo code: 939DW Whether it’s for errands or post-holiday parties, Uber can litchrlly be your lifesaver.
- Macy’s Friends & Family: It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Macy’s Friends & Family sale can save you big bucks on holiday shopping. Take an extra 25% or 10% off most items, plus try Buy Online Pick Up In Store or Same-Day Delivery if you’re in a rush. Promo code: FRIEND is your little holiday helper.
- “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” – *NSYNC: We’re 15 days away from Christmas, so I can officially start listening to holiday music without losing my mind. This classic from my elementary school daze is sure to bring more merriment to the moment.
I flew about 3,000 miles since last week’s post and boy, are my arms tired. [Insert bad-joke rimshot noise here.] I’ll spare you any more corny jokes and get right to it:
- NYC: It’s a great time of year to be back in one of the most electrifying cities on Earth. The air and leaves are crisp, the people are crazy as ever, the Mets are hanging in there, and I feel very #blessed to spend a week in the city.
- Macy’s Herald Square: A big change with this visit is that my NYC team recently moved down the street to work in offices at Herald Square. It’s completely insane walking these hallowed halls and being right in the action — but I so appreciate the chance to “be a part of it.” 😉
- Halloween: Um, duh. This year, I have a friend’s wedding to attend and will then continue the celebration at my friends’ party. The costume isn’t as surprising as you might expect, but it’s still sure to be a winner. La la la la la.
- “Hello” – Adele: OK, so everyone and their mother — litchrlly — is obsessed with this new release from the queen of soulful singing. If this is what three years of anticipation brings us, I’d have to say it’s worth the wait. And the video? Damn, girl.
Things are certainly looking up, my friends. Isn’t it funny how you can go from some of your lowest lows to some of your highest highs in just a few days’ time? …Maybe not funny haha, but interesting to say the least.
- Vince Camuto Julia Satchel: In addition to last week’s musical medley, I decided to treat myself to a little retail therapy. I’ve had my eye on this beauty for a while and finally pulled the trigger during Macy’s Friends & Family Sale. I mean, it was basically free 😉
- My Promotion!: The workweek started with a lovely surprise meeting with my bosses, where I was promoted to be a Copy Manager! I’m still basking in the glow of being recognized, and I’m so excited to see what my future holds. Cheers to that.
- Bay to Breakers: This 103-year-old tradition is the premier event for San Franciscans, and this year’s iconic race kicks off Sunday at 8 a.m. A little aggressive, but the promise of costumes and mimosas shall keep me in high spirits.
- “Fight Song” – Rachel Platten: The lyrics are beautiful, the melody is awesome and I can’t seem to get this little ditty out of my head. Not that I’m complaining — nothing says “girl power” quite like “I don’t really care if nobody else believes, ‘cuz I’ve still got a lot of fight left in me.”
For the first time in forever, I’m really excited for the holidays and Christmastime — and it’s only December 10! Maybe it’s because I’m in love with my new city, or maybe it’s my new city’s constant weed aroma in the air. Whatever the case, here are four things to fa-la-la for:
- Christmas Decorations: I never even knew ornament stands existed, but this is perfect for commitment-phobes and people with smaller spaces (me and me). Leftover ornaments make fun additions to a table and doorway. Huzzah!
- Winter Walk SF: Right near Macy’s Union Square, SF residents and visitors can take a break from holiday shopping with a festive frolic on the turf. Kittens and carolers and food trucks oh my! Now through January 1.
- Pictures with Santa: Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing children cry at the sight of Santa. (I’m not completely jolly, as you should have guessed.) This priceless shot of my niece, Allison, and her amazing parents, will hang on my fridge for years.
- “Elf”: I just like to smile, smiling’s my favorite. And it just isn’t winter without watching this Will Ferrell classic. Trivia buffs can enjoy these fun facts, too — thanks for the find, Magz!
It’s raining, it’s pouring … and I’d much rather be snoring. Since it’s not socially acceptable to go to bed at 7 p.m., let’s pass the time with these:
- Mean Girls Day: Wanna feel old? “Mean Girls” came out 10 years ago today. Fitting, since newsfeeds were clogged with “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.” I didn’t even know about the “holiday” yet and quoted it earlier … just shows it stands the test of time.
- Chooka Rain Boots: The nonstop NYC rain provides a unique challenge when you don’t realize your shoes have holes in their soles. Luckily, I was able to run down to Macy’s and grab a pair of these cute and comfy wellies (in pink)!
- essie Sand Tropez: I love discovering new nail-color faves, and my cubemate got me hooked on this subtle shade. Best of all, chips are barely noticeable!
- Emma Stone Dominates Lip Sync: Is there anything my girl crush can’t do? She absolutely killed it on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” and made me just want to be her even more.