From bills to deadlines to home repairs, I’ve been so productive lately that it’s kind of scaring me into speechlessness.
… Just kidding, you think I’d leave you all hanging? I know you’re only sticking around for the WOs. And who am I to keep those from you?:
- Super Bowl Blvd.: We’re gearing up for Super Bowl in NY/NJ this year, and next week’s festivities throughout Times Square are really exciting. From a 60-foot toboggan slide to a ton of cool events at Macy’s, it’s bound to be a blast.
- A Snowstorm: More than a foot of snow covered the northeast, which was pretty for about an hour before it just got gross. At least the only real suffering was with overcrowded trains and terrible traffic. Phew!
- “Forrest Gump”: Being snowed in does have its benefits, like VH1 movie marathons. If you don’t love this movie, then you are decidedly un-American. That’s all I have to say about that.
- Workaholics on “Conan”: I’m always obsessed with these guys, but they took it to an all-new level with ridiculous antics on Conan’s late-night show. For the millionth time, Adam Devine, will you marry me?
OK, so I finally understand why people find Christmastime in New York City so magical. The lights, the decorations, the snow … it’s all pretty exciting for this Florida girl. Here’s what else has me fa-la-laing:
- This London Fog Coat: Remember how I’d marry those LOFT leggings if I could (I’m wearing them again today, obviously). Well, the same goes for this absolutely perfect winter coat. It fits like a dream and is warm without being bulky — just look how happy that model is!
- #PaleGirlProblems: My fair-skinned frand was such a peach for showing me this list of true issues for the fair and freckled. As much as I’m loving the winter here so far, it sure does make me realize just how pasty I can get. Hooray!
- People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Drucks struck gold twice this week when she shared an amazing blog that so encapsulates everything I want to be in life. From overachieving mommies to movie-theater a-holes, she’s got it all covered.
- “Evolution of Beyoncé” – Pentatonix: It’s been a while (read: NEVER) since I featured a song from Queen B. This should count for at least a half a point, since it’s a Beyoncé-inspired medley of magic. Pentatonix, you just won yourself a new fan.
It sure feels like the lead-up to Thanksgiving took forever and a day, but that could just be my FB stalker feed’s flood of “thankful” messages. Blech.
Turkey Day is finally just hours away, so here are the four things I’m appreciative of most. This week. Because nothing says “gratitude” like leggings and gluttony.
Hope your holiday is a happy one — and extra exciting if you’re celebrating Hanukkah, too!
- LOFT Knit Denim Leggings: I had my eye on these babies for a while and jumped at the chance to get them for 50% off during a flash sale. If it were socially acceptable to marry pieces of clothing, I would.
- Macy’s 87th Thanksgiving Day Parade: Despite crazy weather predictions, I am super pumped to partake as a balloon handler! Look for me with the Uncle Sam balloon — broadcast starts at 9 a.m. EST on NBC!
- Redbox Movies: In preparation for tomorrow’s pre-dawn wake-up, I’m looking forward to an evening of red wine and Redbox. Sometimes, staying in has its ultra-relaxing benefits.
- “Fat” – Weird Al Yankovic: Sorry, I just had to do it. What other song (I haven’t already used) perfectly portrays the excessive elation we all get from this holiday? Enjoy!
Fall! October! Orange! Pumpkin! … What is it about this month that makes everyone lose their collective shit? Clearly, I’m not one of those people.* Riiiight.
- MY NIECE!: Yes, this is an all-caps situation. Allison Marie was born last Thursday at 7:56 p.m. Both she and my sister-in-law are doing well, and I can’t wait to see them (and Brother, too) soon!
- These Boots: Even though NYC’s weather isn’t cooperating, every new season requires new shoes. These Bandolino rider boots were 40% off with my discount, so of course I needed them in two colors.
- Leah & Sam’s Wedding: My dear friend celebrates her marriage Saturday, and I’m thrilled to be there for her. We’ll take in the Washington sites (possibly), and eat and drink for days (definitely). Speaking of DC …
- The Government Shutdown: OK, I’m obviously not thrilled to see Congress implode. But Jon Stewart’s rant below is pretty damn entertaining, and Jimmy Kimmel reveals just how clueless so many are. Shocking, I know. Whatever your stance, it can’t be argued: The downward spiral of American politics continues.
Poor quality, but the original one is no longer available.
*Did you count how many of those very things I featured? Amateurs.
- Crisp: I only half-apologize for featuring so many food places during these WOs, but I have very little willpower. This chain features huge portions of flavorful falafel, and I have to actively restrict my visits to just once a week.
- Donating Books to Children: My company has partnered with Reading Is Fundamental for the 10th year! Donate and enter for a chance to win awesome prizes … plus, take the quiz or check out the cute (and kiiinda creepy video)!
- Teambuilding: Also great about my company? We don’t do your typical icebreakers and trust falls to encourage interaction — no, instead we get to catch a YANKEES game tomorrow and I can’t freaking wait. Boo-yah!
- “True Affection” – The Blow: Admittedly, this little ditty first caught my attention because I thought it sampled from “Laffy Taffy.” That’s so not the case, but I think you’ll love it anyway.
Can’t you just hear D4L shouting, “CANDY GIRL!”? No?
This week is going by entirely too slowly. I met friends for a round (or four) last night, and none of us could believe it was only Tuesday. What is it about hump day that we can’t seem to get over? The world may never know. In the meantime …
- Hale & Hearty: Since the weather refuses to cooperate and I’m wearing a coat in May, this soup staple is a Godsend. The oyster crackers alone make the literally three-minute walk worth it.
- Investigation Discovery: My roommate got me hooked on this truly disturbing channel, featuring such shows as “Dates from Hell” and “Wives with Knives.” I can’t wait for the summer premiere of “Southern Fried Homicide.” Real life.
- Hunter Bell: Winner of this season’s “Fashion Star,” this little lady is a designer who understands what it takes to sell. I can’t wait to try her fit & flare dress, among countless others.
- “Will You Be There” – Michael Jackson: I’ve been on more conference calls than usual this week, and our waiting room music is reminiscent of this MJ classic. Just try and tell me you didn’t rewind the VHS at least thrice to hear it again.