So, today marks 10 years since my high school graduation. And I happened to wake up today to find my first-ever grandma chin hair. This world is so cruel. Here’s what is keeping me pleasantly distracted from reality:
- Memorial Day: Monday’s federal holiday has a lot more to do with service and sacrifice than barbecues and beach days, but teaching that to America’s youths is unlikely. Instead, I think it’s realistic to just take a few minutes Monday (and every day?) to remember the men and women who gave all to protect our freedoms.
- SUMMER FRIDAYS: Sweet, glorious half-days have returned to my office, from this week till Labor Day. There’s no better way to celebrate our teams making it through nearly five months of nonstop work. Hallelujah!
- “Mad Men” Finale: For seven seasons, we’ve followed the movers and shakers of Sterling, Cooper & Partners (and all its variations). Don Draper and crew bade us farewell with Sunday’s finale, and while I have mixed emotions about the ending, I will always have love for the menaces of Madison Ave.
- “Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift: You heard me. Combine a badass video (23MM+ views!) that features a bunch of cool celebs with an awesome beat and smooth lyrics, and I’m officially a T. Swift fan. Lord help us all.
I say it every month, but seriously — how are we already halfway through October? Cooler weather is in full effect, causing all of NYC to layer up and party down.
Halloween is just 15 days away, which means the early-celebators of Christmas are already being assholes. Can’t time just slow down for a little?
- James Wolk: I first loved this guy from his short stint on “Happy Endings” and really enjoyed him rocking shorty shorts on “Mad Men” this season. Now the hottie with a body is on “The Crazy Ones,” and I will buy whatever he is selling. Hands down.
- “I Am Malala”: This memoir from women’s rights and education activist (not to mention, medical miracle) Malala Yousufzai just arrived in my mailbox. It’s no wonder she was the youngest Nobel Prize nominee — check out her interview with Jon Stewart and feel terrible about how little you accomplished by 16.
- Catch: I had the pleasure of meeting my second cousin last week, and she introduced me to this phenomenal seafood restaurant in the Meatpacking District. We shared scallops, shrimp and a few other appetizers … each one more delicious than the last.
- “Roar” – Katy Perry: This song made a stir a few months back, due to its uncanny resemblance to Sara Bareilles’s single, “Brave.” Whatever your take, I prefer Perry’s music for once in my life. Grrrrowl.
My weekend was a perfect mix of old friends and family with new announcements and stories to share. And my workweek began with winning an office raffle, plus unexpected praise. March has been pretty good to me (despite my absolute shit excuse for a bracket). Back to those positive vibes:
- Easter: Obviously. Sunday’s celebration will be bittersweet — I’d love to spend time with relatives, but I’m content to share it with my NY family. And Reese’s eggs. Lots of ’em.
- “Wicked Single”: I’m judging myself plenty, but hear me out. This show is supremely silly, chronicling Bahstahn singles getting crazy. I adore Chubs, and poor Nikki can’t stay standing for even half an episode.
- Mean Mad Men: Until “Mad Men” returns for its sixth season April 7, the pop culture gods give us this crossover. “Mean Girls” quotes, imagined by our Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce faves. That is so fetch!
- Vampire Weekend – “A Punk”: I’m admittedly biased because it mentions my ‘hood, but just try to listen to this song and not swoon. Still grumpy? Watch the video — you’ll either smile or seize.
What day is it? Where am I? Sleep-deprived zombiehood has its benefits … I’m currently impervious to pain and devoid of rational thought. There’s hope for me, yet — these things may be enough to resurrect me.
- Kristen’s Brain Tumor Battle: This young nurse, wife and mother of two was diagnosed with a brain tumor during her last pregnancy, so I jumped at the chance to support in her fight. You can help too!
- Pug Alphabet: Thank you, Bah Humpug, for creating what this world was missing: an assortment of letters, formed by roly-poly pug babies! Changed my life, plain and simple.
- Busty Girl Problems: There’s a certain responsibility that comes with being well-endowed in the chest department — just ask Joan Harris. This list covers the “woe is me” we busty girls face.
- “New Soul” by Yael Naim: I first heard it sampled in Girl Talk’s “No Pause,“ and I kept smiling through those few seconds every time. The entire song is all warm and fuzzy goodness.
Some laughs and a few tears later, I might just return to normal. Well, what my version of normal is, anyway. And if these don’t do the trick, then 2-for-1 drinks absolutely will. Salud!
Poor video quality, but a perfect song