From what I can tell on social media, it’s really cold and there was a football game this week. Thanks a heap, Zuckerberg. You’ve really challenged our generation to be independent thinkers.
Are you guys ready for some real brain-busters?
- Upper East Side: My first year here was wonderful, but I got reaaaally tired of being so far from the places I frequent. Lucky for me, I found an adorable studio in the UES and am all moved in — halleluyer!
- The Auction House: This hidden gem of a bar is conveniently just steps away from my new apartment. “Obsessed” is putting it mildly … the drinks are awesome, and the atmosphere is perfectly eclectic and cozy.
- Duolingo: I’ve been meaning to brush up on my Spanish for some time, and my friend recommended this easy-to-use app. You can play games, hear pronunciations and practice your own. Best of all, it’s FREE! ¡Que bueno!
- “Beauty & the Beast”: My amazingly talented cousin, Shannon, was just cast in her dream role of Belle and I couldn’t be more proud! She’ll absolutely kill it in her performances — congrats, cuz!
I’m generally not one to brag, but I have to say: My weekend was just plain awesome. It feels like I’m hitting my stride in my new city, and I couldn’t be happier with the experiences and memories I’m gaining.
- All You Can Eat Sushi + Sake @ Chinatown East – sushi was delicious, but the unlimited sake bombs reeeally got the night going
- One and One – a new favorite spot, it’s chill upstairs and a thumping club downstairs
- Dancing at Pianos – worth the $5 cover to go upstairs for better music and quicker service
- We hit another bar after that, but I don’t remember the name (sign of a good time)
Saturday: Low-Key Lounging
- Slept in for the first time in weeks and accomplished nothing – oddly OK with this
- Wharf in Murray Hill – visited our friend who works there for pre-gaming
- Brooklyn house party – celebrated friends who graduated from hair school, law school, design school and another who passed the NY State Bar
Sunday: Fun-Filled Finale
- Boozy brunch at The Guilty Goose in Chelsea – very strong mimosas alongside eggs benedict with a jalapeño hollandaise
- Stopped in to see Heroes & Villains at FIT – fascinating facts featured in fun and interesting exhibits
- Made our way home to watch SNL – Kristen Wiig’s return to the stage at 30 Rock did not disappoint
- Phone date with Magz – because she should be celebrated every day for what she put up with from us
Though it went by way too quickly, I had an absolute blast throughout this weekend. I can’t wait to enjoy more of this improved weather and share my finds with you guys. Cheers!
This week’s obsessions are all specifically selected to honor one of the best cities in the world — and one I’ll soon call “home.”
That’s right, dear readers: I’ve accepted a job offer in NEW YORK CITY! The champagne is poured and the mittens are purchased … let’s keep the party going.
- Central Park: Is there anything more beautiful than a snow-capped Central Park? I’m sure the novelty will wear off when I’m shivering in my boots, but for now, just look how preeetty.
- Yankee Stadium: Um, duh. It’s the offseason, so they have a few months to prepare for my arrival. But you bet your pinstripes I’ll be there as often as I can. Mrs. Cano, anyone?
- Rockefeller Center: It’s the 80th anniversary of this majestic holiday tradition at Rock Center. Ice skating, hot chocolate and a larger-than-life tree? Don’t mind if I do.
- “New York, New York” – Frank Sinatra: Might as well go full-force with my NY mania, right? Iconic singer, legendary song, and it’s played after every Yankee win at home — perfection.
The coming weeks will be filled with excitement and anxiety, but I’m incredibly thankful for the blessings I’ve been granted. Hope you’re each having a wonderful week and celebrating your good fortunes too.