The holiday season is in full swing, and as if I needed another reminder of it, today was the FOURTH White Elephant I’ve participated in this month. Over-commit much? I’m rocking my special sweater, tree earrings and festive fur so you better believe I’m trying to ward off my usual Grinch-y tendencies and embrace the season wholeheartedly.
- SF Ballet’s Nutcracker: Thanks to a monster group discount and the Junior League of San Francisco, I’ll be enjoying tonight’s performance of this winter classic for a nominal fee. Sugar plum fairies and pirouettes await to fulfill all my wildest prima ballerina dreams. I have no doubt my intro to the SF Ballet will be a memorable one.
- Suppenküche: A dear friend hosts an awesome annual dinner at this SF staple during Hanukkah, and this year’s celebration was no exception. From dreidel spin-offs to giant potato pancakes and banana beer, it’s a tradition I remember fondly every year. Who knows? Maybe one year I’ll even break tradition and go twice.
- The Exploratorium: Despite living in SF for 4+ years, I hadn’t yet ventured into this museum of curiosity, adventure and education. My department holiday party was here last weekend, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the activities at every turn. The food and photo booths helped, too, but I’d happily revisit on a “normal” day.
- “All I Want for Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey: Duhhhh. I can’t help myself and refuse to apologize for it. Between last week’s viewing of “Love Actually” and Carey’s always entertaining holiday antics, this is about the only seasonal tune I can listen to more than once a day. Don’t @ me, you knew it was coming at some point.
WO: Weekly Obsessions 288
2017 is kicking my butt so far, and not in a good way. I’ve been down for the count for most of it, thanks to a gnarly sinus infection I should have seen coming. I wouldn’t dare list Benadryl, nasal spray and countless naps in this week’s obsessions, so here’s about all I can muster:
- Mariah Carey: The diva to end all divas certainly rung in the New Year with a memorable performance on live TV. While countless performances are backed with audio tracks — especially in a place as raucous as Times Square on NYE — I just loved Mariah’s “f— it” attitude and her closing remark: “It just doesn’t get any better.” Considering she carries a tune better than most of the world, I gotta give it to her for embracing the disaster with a sense of humor.
- Being Cinderella on NYE: OK, so I didn’t realize it was a full-blown sinus infection that had me barely keeping my eyes open at midnight. All I knew was, I didn’t want to be stuck paying $60 to get the 2 miles home to my apartment from a friend’s party. And you know what? Being Cinderella paid off. I requested an Uber at 12:01am, was home by 12:25am and paid just $12. No glass slippers required.
- “Moana”: My mom, sister-in-law and I took my toddler niece to see this latest Disney hit (for her second showing), and it was great fun for the kids and adults alike. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the perfectly modest Maui — ha!— and newcomer Auli’i Cravalho makes a shining debut as the titular princess. The soundtrack isn’t half bad either, thanks to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s continued creative genius.
- “How Far I’ll Go” – Moana: Speaking of, this song has been stuck in my head since we saw the movie almost two weeks ago. If that doesn’t scream “earworm,” I don’t know what does. I promise it’s not the cold medicine that makes it so catchy. Go on, have a listen. Then, listen to Alessia Cara’s full version. And as Maui would humbly say, “You’re welcome.”
I’m back on the west coast / best coast after an incredible week in New York. To say I’m exhausted is an understatement — but it’s always worth it to see some of my favorite people in the whole wide world.
- A Song A Day Indiegogo: You may recall my recent request for donations to my friend Shannon’s brainchild. She didn’t quite meet her Kickstarter goal, but the project is now on Indiegogo and could still use your help! If Brit + Co. is writing about it, you know it must be good 😉
- Dr. Scholl’s Tri-Comfort Orthotics: At the risk of sounding like a complete grandma, just hear me out. These little inserts are the perfect companions to any high-heeled shoe — thin enough to fit comfortably, but with the support you need for a long day (or night).
- Morrocanoil Treatment: Speaking of lifesavers, there’s a reason stylists and regular folk alike go apeshit for this stuff — just a few drops on damp or dry hair can seriously transform your tresses! I’ve been using it for a few months and love its silky, smooth effects. Best of all, the musky scent is magnetic.
- “Fantasy” – Mariah Carey f. ODB: It may not be Thursday (hear that, stupid brain!), but this throwback is always in style. It got the people going at my friend’s wedding last weekend, and I’ve had it on repeat ever since. Just remember to fast forward past the creepy clown!
In case you’re not FB friends with Magz and haven’t seen her weeklong countdown … it’s my birthday tomorrow! It kind of snuck up on me, probably because I’ve been packing every weekend with funtivities and nearly forgot to pay rent this month. Adulthood.
- 27 Ways to Be as American as Ron Swanson: Because, ‘Merica. And though I can’t grow a moustache like his, my mere existence is defined by #22. I’d say that’s a fair trade.
- Pie Face: My cubemate introduced me to this sweet and savory shop yesterday and I’m already hooked. I can’t wait to indulge in an all-American apple pie & caramel smasher tomorrow!
- Macy’s 37th Annual 4th of July Fireworks: Shameless plug? Sure, why not. Hosted by Nick Cannon, this year’s show features his wifey, plus Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez. Like, OMG.
- “The Remedy” – Jason Mraz: OK, I totally admit to loving this song simply because it opens with “ … fireworks from the freeway … ‘cause you were born on the 4th of July, freedom ring.” So sue me!
Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th!