It’s been a whirlwind week, to say the least. While some of my closest friends here have announced their impending departures to other cities, I’ve also heard from friends afar about their plans to relocate here. “Bittersweet” doesn’t even come close to describing it.
In the meantime, I haven’t been able to corral my thoughts into my regular weekly wrap-up. I’m excited about the 10-minute “Love Actually” sequel; I still haven’t watched this year’s GRAMMYs (a first for me!); I’m loving this new mani color and I can’t stop listening to “Different for Girls” by Dierks Bentley f. Elle King.
To say I’m all over the place is an understatement.
Couple that with Valentine’s Day (do you see what I did there), social commitments, some potential moves of my own, and I’m in a frenzy to keep it all together.
So in the wake of a formal WO, please enjoy these images of the ultimate Galentine, Leslie Knope. Xoxo 💕
WO: Weekly Obsessions 288
2017 is kicking my butt so far, and not in a good way. I’ve been down for the count for most of it, thanks to a gnarly sinus infection I should have seen coming. I wouldn’t dare list Benadryl, nasal spray and countless naps in this week’s obsessions, so here’s about all I can muster:
- Mariah Carey: The diva to end all divas certainly rung in the New Year with a memorable performance on live TV. While countless performances are backed with audio tracks — especially in a place as raucous as Times Square on NYE — I just loved Mariah’s “f— it” attitude and her closing remark: “It just doesn’t get any better.” Considering she carries a tune better than most of the world, I gotta give it to her for embracing the disaster with a sense of humor.
- Being Cinderella on NYE: OK, so I didn’t realize it was a full-blown sinus infection that had me barely keeping my eyes open at midnight. All I knew was, I didn’t want to be stuck paying $60 to get the 2 miles home to my apartment from a friend’s party. And you know what? Being Cinderella paid off. I requested an Uber at 12:01am, was home by 12:25am and paid just $12. No glass slippers required.
- “Moana”: My mom, sister-in-law and I took my toddler niece to see this latest Disney hit (for her second showing), and it was great fun for the kids and adults alike. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the perfectly modest Maui — ha!— and newcomer Auli’i Cravalho makes a shining debut as the titular princess. The soundtrack isn’t half bad either, thanks to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s continued creative genius.
- “How Far I’ll Go” – Moana: Speaking of, this song has been stuck in my head since we saw the movie almost two weeks ago. If that doesn’t scream “earworm,” I don’t know what does. I promise it’s not the cold medicine that makes it so catchy. Go on, have a listen. Then, listen to Alessia Cara’s full version. And as Maui would humbly say, “You’re welcome.”
I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is not, in fact, more cowbell. Being sick in December is litchrlly the worst, but here’s what I’m doing to keep calm and carry on:
- #AllTreesAreBeautiful: After many people took to Twitter complaining about the shape of their Reese’s Christmas Trees this year, the brand responded with a call to end “tree shaming” and it was glorious! Check out some of the highlights here.
- “Love Actually”: In my humble opinion, there is no better holiday movie. Sure, we all enjoy “Home Alone” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” but it doesn’t get any more festive, actually, than Hugh Grant dancing around 10 Downing Street.
- “Billy on the Street” with Will Ferrell: Here’s two guys who are likely to disagree with my previous statements. And that’s OK — because they’re at their best when yelling at innocent people in NYC. Fa-la-freaking-la.
- Las Vegas: I’m suuuper pumped to spend part of next week in Vegas for my cousin’s bachelor/ette party! The sights, the slots, the spirits… hope Sin City is ready for some naughty troublemakers right before Christmas!
The week ahead will be nothing short of exciting: I go back to Florida on Friday to celebrate my cousin’s engagement and, later, my 10-year high school reunion. Crazy to think how fast time flies — but I couldn’t be more excited to see family and longtime friends. Till then, here’s what’s really got me going 😉
- Plank: This Oakland hotspot is basically an adult version of Chuck E. Cheese, which was perfect for my company’s summer outing last week. We played arcade games and life-size Jenga, enjoyed tasty tacos and drinks, and even had a flipbook photo booth!
- “Minions”: Some friends who love these little yellow guys coordinated movie night for us, and I have to admit, it was an adorable affair. I still don’t quite believe Sandra Bullock as a villain, but stranger things have happened. I highly recommend going to a 21+ showing to avoid the kiddo crowd.
- Ladies & Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning: This detailed account of New York City life in 1977 was high on my to-read list, and I finally dedicated enough time to get through it. From the iconic Reggie Jackson to the historic Koch v. Cuomo campaign, the book is brimming with fascinating facts and figures.
- “You Really Got Me” – The Kinks: Since “Minions” was set in the ‘60s, it’s only fitting that the soundtrack be full of revived rock ‘n roll. One of my personal faves, forever and always, is this sticky-sweet jam. Rock on \m/
I’m feeling much better after a week of illness and some reeeal ugly cries, you guys. It absolutely helps that my cousins are in town for the week to visit — allowing me just enough time for these faves:
- “The Fault in Our Stars”: ‘Twas was the perfect setting to see a movie by myself for the first time. This year’s best read was wonderful on-screen and I highly, highly, highly recommend it.
- HBO Go: A week bedridden was made sort-of OK with this service. 31 episodes of “Game of Thrones” later, and I was feeling almost human again!
- “Fancy” – Iggy Azalea f. Charli XCX: I can’t get enough of I-G-G-Y. One look at my Spotify, and you’ll see I’ve binge-listened approximately 500 times. The “Clueless” music video is just the gangsta cherry on top.
- “Part of Our World”: And I can’t listen to “Fancy” without thinking of this hilarious sketch from Anna Kendrick’s turn hosting SNL. She plays Ariel (“The Little Mermaid”) and teaches Ursula (Aidy Bryant) about today’s popular music.
From bills to deadlines to home repairs, I’ve been so productive lately that it’s kind of scaring me into speechlessness.
… Just kidding, you think I’d leave you all hanging? I know you’re only sticking around for the WOs. And who am I to keep those from you?:
- Super Bowl Blvd.: We’re gearing up for Super Bowl in NY/NJ this year, and next week’s festivities throughout Times Square are really exciting. From a 60-foot toboggan slide to a ton of cool events at Macy’s, it’s bound to be a blast.
- A Snowstorm: More than a foot of snow covered the northeast, which was pretty for about an hour before it just got gross. At least the only real suffering was with overcrowded trains and terrible traffic. Phew!
- “Forrest Gump”: Being snowed in does have its benefits, like VH1 movie marathons. If you don’t love this movie, then you are decidedly un-American. That’s all I have to say about that.
- Workaholics on “Conan”: I’m always obsessed with these guys, but they took it to an all-new level with ridiculous antics on Conan’s late-night show. For the millionth time, Adam Devine, will you marry me?