Welp, I know how Jeter must feel … this farewell tour has been exhausting.
But I’m so thankful for my supportive family and friends who’ve put up with me these last few weeks — I promise, the dragon lady will be extinct once I’m settled in San Fran!
Till then, let’s celebrate these four final New York obsessions:
- MTA: Oh, how I love to hate you. But when it’s all said and done, I am honestly amazed that 9.5 million people are transported via the subway, buses, LIRR, and Metro-North. Keep on keepin on’, Old Faithful.
- Times Square: See above re: love to hate. My NY experience would be nothing without the absolutely insane environment I face every workday. It’s magical to tourists for a reason, and I hope to enjoy visiting it in the future.
- Allison Turns 1!: OK, so she doesn’t live in New York, but she was born a Yankees fan so that totally counts. My favorite niece has brought nothing but joy and wonder to our family, and I can’t wait to celebrate many more years of her being adorable.
- DE-REK JE-TER: I searched the archives and have not specifically called out The Captain as an obsession. So there. His final home game is tomorrow, and his last at-bat will be in Boston Sunday. Regardless of wins and losses, I have nothing but love for my first-ever celebrity crush. Enjoy retirement, Jetes. You know where to find me.
I don’t know if it’s possible to put in any more hours than I have the past few weeks. Between my day job, freelance and getting the apartment in shape, I am le tired. Me, me, me. Wah, wah, wah.
Let’s make this quick, then, shall we?:
- Subway Time: If you’re like me and perpetually late, then this little app is a gem from the fickle MTA gods. Do you need to book it or can you take a Sunday stroll? Check how long you have to make your next train; available for select lines.
- My Life (So Far) Without a Date: It seems like everyone in my generation is happily coupled up, well on their way to marriage and 2.3 perfect kids. This piece from Refinery 29 excerpts Kate Heaney’s novel that reassures us solo riders that — hey, we’re pretty great (and normal).
- Cascabel Taqueria: Unlimited mimosas, spicy margaritas and other libations + tasty Mexican food + walking distance from my apartment = the perfect brunch. The Benedict dishes are served on cornbread. Need I say more?
- “Counting Stars” – OneRepublic: I really, really didn’t want to like this song. And while it still doesn’t make me want to buy a car or whatever other product it’s selling for the millionth time, I have to admit: I’m a fan.