It’s been far too long since I did a full-blown WO so I’m back with a vengeance. Not really, but it has been one of the most challenging weeks in recent memory and I’m doing my damndest to work through it without imploding.
- Vacation in Sight: That’s right, the countdown is on for a little getaway to Deutschland AKA Germany. My body is ready for all of the beer, bread, pretzels, and other stereotypical fare we can expect at none other than OKTOBERFEST. Am I excited? You betcha.
- A Dirndl: Basically the only thing that turned my mood around today (pre-vacation stress, you know) was receiving my Oktoberfest outfit. My inspiration may or may not have been Gracie Lou Freebush, and I just have a few finishing touches to make it perfekt.
- Alligator’s Birthday: My eldest niece turns SIX tomorrow. Where does the time go? She is smart, sassy, and all the things I wish I was at her age. As the leader of now two other little sisters, she’s got some big shoes to fill. Luckily, big feet run in our family. Happy almost birthday, Alligator! Ah-nt Ah-mahn-dah loves you!
- “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish: I’ve somehow managed to miss covering this megahit teen sensation who is all the things I could never be at her age. The video is hauntingly fascinating, from skinned knees to dance moves, and the tune cannot stay out of my head for more than 2 hours at a time. I’d say “you go girl” but then I think her fans would find me and beat me up.
I’m mostly over that silly little existential crisis I mentioned last week, except I’m not getting enough sleep and am still overcommitting myself. Live and learn? Ha!
In true frazzled fashion, I haven’t managed to put together a thoughtfully curated list today. I thought about it, don’t get me wrong. But somewhere between meetings and workouts and social activities and deadlines, all I’ve managed to come up with is this: some links to bangers.
Your ears will thank me, even if your eyes don’t. A double Cyrus shoutout, what could be better?
Another Wednesday is upon us and I swear it was just July 3rd about 30 seconds ago. Is this a symptom of getting older? Time flying by faster and faster until I wake up one day and I’m 80?
Existential crisis aside, the past week has treated me well. I’ve celebrated my own birthday and my dear roomie’s; I’ve been in the throes of planning a big campaign I thought of; and I’ve felt the love from many, near and far.
So why muck all that up with some silly little obsessions? Here’s a song I can’t stop replaying for some reason. Thanks, Google Play Music: You really know how to find a girl’s weakness.
I somehow survived Celine and Christina and my time in the desert but came back with a wicked cough and nonstop sneezes. Ain’t that how it always is? Enjoy a few days away, come back miserable.
In the absence of things I’m over-the-top excited about this week (no tastebuds will do that to you), here are a few things that have kept me smiling, in no particular order:
Well, well, well. If it isn’t somehow already another Wednesday — the last in April, no less. If you’ve been here at all the last few weeks you know I’ve been drowning in the river of chaos. And while I’m not completely out of the woods yet (are we outta the woods?) I do see light at the end of the tunnel. How many nature metaphors can I use in one post?
- Canva: Yes, part of my job now is to research and test awesome apps. But I’ve been in love with Canva for quite a while and couldn’t believe I hadn’t mentioned it here yet. Beyond easy and fun templates for social media, you can also design your own invitations, presentations, flyers, and business cards. I still prefer to do so on the app, but the website is also pretty stellar.
- Giphy: Another great way to express yourself? With gifs. Yes, I switched to the proper “jif” pronunciation but then I judged myself so hard I switched back. If you use Slack or work in tech you’ve probably already discovered all of the magical /giphy combos to behold. It’s endlessly fun (and distracting), so please Giphy responsibly.
- GoT Final Season: Well it wouldn’t be right if I failed to cover arguably the biggest pop culture moment of the year. With just four episodes left, “Game of Thrones” is giving us all the feels and all the reasons to watch. every. second. I spiraled reading a few fan theories and am decidedly done — my heart can’t take anymore. #DanyForever
- “Jenny of Oldstones” – Florence + The Machine: SPOILERS SUPPOSEDLY.
So I haven’t spiraled into reading these theories, because I just love the song and don’t need to have it ruined. This original tune was in Sunday’s episode and sung by Daniel Portman (AKA Podrick Payne). His voice is beautiful! Then the end credits rolled and I was haunted by Florence + The Machine’s version. Seriously, chills. #NerdAlert
Do you ever have those weeks where it seems like the universe is against you and you’re embodying Murphy’s Law and you just can’t catch a break? I’m sure I’m not the only one here 🙋🏼♀️
Don’t get me wrong; I’m still gainfully employed and have a beautiful apartment awaiting me and food on the table, etc. But all of the “adult” things I don’t want to deal with seem to have combined into on full-fledged, forceful clusterf—.
When I’m in this sort of funk, I turn to puppy videos and shameless pop music. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this playlist of pop songs, with the featured video a true d-o-double-g masterpiece.
Please enjoy while I cry with happy tears and use the bubblegum jams to lift me up and put on my big-girl pants.
Before we jump into this week’s four finds I have to take a moment and celebrate: Today’s post marks the FOUR-HUNDREDTH WO!! That’s right, you get a double exclamation celebration! It’s hard to believe this concept and ultimately, this blog, has been around so long, but it wouldn’t be possible without your support. Cheers to that!
- “Bodega Bathroom”: Not an actual bodega bathroom, no. But the hilariously oddball and perfectly fantastic sketch from last week’s SNL. John Mulaney’s past hit of “Lobster Diner” meets its match with this all-out musical marathon. Words won’t do it justice. Just watch.
- Luke Perry: On a much more serious note, actor Luke Perry died Monday after suffering a massive stroke just days before. He was 52. And while I’ve certainly enjoyed his resurgence with his role on “Riverdale,” I could never forget how instrumental he was for all us “90210” and “What I Like About You” fans. I can’t imagine how the Perry family feels with such a devastating shock.
- Lent: There’s no easy segue to the next topic on my mind, as the Lenten season is upon us. I’m holding out for tonight’s 7:30 mass and looking forward to one of my all-time favorite choral songs, “Ashes.” No matter what you sacrifice or start doing (or if you don’t celebrate at all), I’m wishing you peace, love and joy over the next 40 days.
- “Don’t Threaten Me with a Good Time” – Thomas Rhett f. Little Big Town: You know when you hear a song that speaks to you on just about every level? This does that for me. Partially because it mentions Wednesdays, partially because there’s a shout-out to my hometown (DAYTONA!), partially because Thomas Rhett is a national treasure. He debuted this and another song on SNL, giving my fave show yet another leg up.