It’s been a whirlwind of PR nightmares from Pepsi to United Airlines to Melissa McCarthy… (If you don’t understand the third one, start watching “Last Week Tonight.”) I don’t know many who are applauding those mega-oops moments, but here’s what I do appreciate this week:
- Spring Cleaning: In preparation for an upcoming move within SF, I’ve begun purging stuff with the help of friends. Thanks to two separate sessions, led by my master-purge peers, I’ve managed to gather countless items to donate and four bags of trash! Who knew I’d accumulated all that stuff in just 2.5 years?
- A Fresh Mani/Pedi: My Sunday night routine often involves painting my nails as a therapeutic way to wind down the weekend. I was trying some “maybe” colors I wasn’t ready to let go of, but then a dear friend suggested we catch up over mani/pedis Monday night. I can’t think of a better way to spend an hour — being pampered while connecting with loved ones is simply the best!
- Easter: This coming Sunday is sure to be filled with a joyous remembrance of resurrection and life for my fellow Catholics and Christians. Egg dyeing and chocolate bunnies aside, Easter has become one of my favorite holidays for humble reflection and celebration.
- “HUMBLE” – Kendrick Lamar: Speaking of humility, Kendrick Lamar’s latest has flooded my ears all week. It could be a coincidence, given the major blunders we’re witnessing firsthand, but I think I’d be into it regardless. Completely NSFW language ahead — beware before blasting in your office.
It’s been a whirlwind week, to say the least. While some of my closest friends here have announced their impending departures to other cities, I’ve also heard from friends afar about their plans to relocate here. “Bittersweet” doesn’t even come close to describing it.
In the meantime, I haven’t been able to corral my thoughts into my regular weekly wrap-up. I’m excited about the 10-minute “Love Actually” sequel; I still haven’t watched this year’s GRAMMYs (a first for me!); I’m loving this new mani color and I can’t stop listening to “Different for Girls” by Dierks Bentley f. Elle King.
To say I’m all over the place is an understatement.
Couple that with Valentine’s Day (do you see what I did there), social commitments, some potential moves of my own, and I’m in a frenzy to keep it all together.
So in the wake of a formal WO, please enjoy these images of the ultimate Galentine, Leslie Knope. Xoxo 💕
- A Song a Day Kickstarter: My kickass friend Shannon’s daily curated song service needs your help! Check out her Kickstarter campaign — which would help make their extremely manual and tedious process into a more efficient and accurate one. Plus, future collaborations and cool giveaways mean you have nothing to lose!
- These Booties: White girls everywhere are rejoicing fall’s arrival, so why not rock the season’s best booties? SF weather allows for boots year-round, so I can firmly attest to their delivery in comfort and cuteness. Bonus: They come in five fall-friendly colors!
- essie Wicked: Every so often, I have to double-check that I haven’t already covered an obsession before because I just love it so much and am sure I’ve raved about it. Enter this rich and award-winning color from essie, which is sure to get you compliments AND go with any fall outfit you flaunt.
- “Hold My Hand” – Jess Glynne: I can’t seem to find the right adjectives to describe songstress Jess Glynne’s voice, so have a listen and you tell me. I have no doubt she’s going places and “ready for this.” (“This” being superstardom and a record-breaking music career.)
Have you heard? According to endless social posts, Florida is flooded and California is thirsty. Oh, and New York is suffocating. Gotta love August in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
- Tab: How many times have you been out to eat with friends and struggled to split the bill? This handy app solves the pain point by allowing you to upload a photo of your receipt, split checks quickly and even calculate each person’s tip!
- essie Lilacism: Fun fact: I have about six essie polishes in pale purple, but I promise you that this one is the best. No matter the season, my mani is always complimented when rocking this shade.
- Trello: I’m going to totally geek out on you guys and gush about this collaborative organization tool. We use it at work to corral ideas and concepts together, but it could be used for brides, event planning, groceries … you name it!
- “Cheerleader” – OMI: I really, really, really didn’t want to like this song. But after a week of ear sabotage from Florida radio stations — including my Spotify mix — I can’t resist it any longer.
It’s raining, it’s pouring … and I’d much rather be snoring. Since it’s not socially acceptable to go to bed at 7 p.m., let’s pass the time with these:
- Mean Girls Day: Wanna feel old? “Mean Girls” came out 10 years ago today. Fitting, since newsfeeds were clogged with “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.” I didn’t even know about the “holiday” yet and quoted it earlier … just shows it stands the test of time.
- Chooka Rain Boots: The nonstop NYC rain provides a unique challenge when you don’t realize your shoes have holes in their soles. Luckily, I was able to run down to Macy’s and grab a pair of these cute and comfy wellies (in pink)!
- essie Sand Tropez: I love discovering new nail-color faves, and my cubemate got me hooked on this subtle shade. Best of all, chips are barely noticeable!
- Emma Stone Dominates Lip Sync: Is there anything my girl crush can’t do? She absolutely killed it on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” and made me just want to be her even more.
- Foley’s: I met a friend for drinks at this Midtown spot recently and loved the whole atmosphere. Dwight Gooden happened to be signing autographs, but the drink specials, food and memorabilia will keep me coming back.
- #whatshouldwecallme: OK, this tumblr has to be in my top five all-time. The gifs so perfectly capture everyday situations. My friends send these out regularly, and I highly encourage you to do the same.
- essie Ballet Slippers: I’ve been in a nail color rut lately and needed something spectacular for my weekly self-manicure. Enough pizazz to get noticed, but enough polish for the office — no wonder it’s a bestseller.
- Miss USA 2013: Sunday’s annual pageant did not disappoint — from Utah’s interview response (video below) to Alabama repping my sorority beautifully and Connecticut’s heartfelt victory lap. My only question: Why was a JoBro co-hosting?