WO: Weekly Obsessions
As much as I love seeing my family and friends back East, I absolutely loathe the time difference and trying to readjust midweek. I got home this morning around 1am, then of course had to shower and unpack a bit before passing out. Good thing the A Team at Starbucks is on today, as I’ve had more caffeine than I normally do in an entire week.
- A Curious Co-worker: What’s a surefire way to ensure you’re awake at your desk? How about returning to the office to find a heart-shaped, glittery necklace with Nic Cage front and center? I have no idea who left it — or why — and am too embarrassed after asking a handful of co-workers to pursue any more. If only Robert Stack were still around for this unsolved mystery. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted with updates. I know you’re waiting on pins and needles.
- A Week in Florida: The past week was filled with countless laughs and special moments. From celebrating one talented cousin’s Disney revue to another’s college graduation AND graduate school acceptance; to silly songs with my nieces; heartfelt Mother’s Day moments; beach and pool time with loved ones; long-awaited reunions; oh and that unmistakable humidity; it’s a visit I won’t soon forget. It never feels like enough time, though I can only do so many sleepovers with a certain kicking niece before I long for my own bed 😉
- A Nice Neighbor: This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but I needed the reminder that there are still genuine people in the world. My new home is coin-operated laundry, so when I moved out of my former place, I left my card in the laundry room with a note: “$7, Venmo Wittyburg if feeling generous.” I figured it was a lost cause but received a payment last night and couldn’t believe my eyes. So thanks to Drew, from God-knows-which-apartment-number, for being a kind neighbor.
- A Friend-filled “First Dates”: I’ve been watching NBC’s “First Dates” all season in anticipation of this Friday’s episode. I know two of the featured daters, and they happen to be in the very same episode (although not dating each other)! While I know the outcome of one date — no spoilers, don’t worry — I can’t wait to see how a real-life college friend and NYC friend make their television dating debut. Look out for Matt and Justine; I’m sure they won’t disappoint! Check out the preview here.
Images courtesy of: Me, Me, Meee, NBC
WO: Weekly Obsessions
Considering I’m now 29 weeks and six days away from 30, I’m feeling much older and wiser than I did yesterday. Kidding — I’m still making terrible choices, stumbling and (hopefully) learning as I go. What else has kept me busy this week? Keep calm and read on.
- Son Saves Mum’s Business: Get your tissues ready, because this is bound to make you weep. A young man in England tweeted about his mum’s knitting stall at a craft fair, which sadly wasn’t making any sales. Twitter exploded in response with tons of orders, saving her business and putting Martyn as the forerunner for Son of the Year. Go ahead, cry it out.
- USF Football: What a roller coaster week it’s been for my alma mater’s football team. Our bowl game was announced a few days ago, with us heading to the Birmingham Bowl against University of South Carolina. But now, Oregon poached our head coach, Willie Taggart, and an interim coach will lead us for the game. Taggart’s four seasons at USF improved exponentially, with this season being the best in school history at 10-2. He leaves big shoes to fill, and a hole in my heart. Thanks for the memories, Coach.
- “Side to Side” – Ariana Grande f. Nicki Minaj: Did you know? It’s impossible to book a spin class without getting this song stuck in your head. Although the lyrics and video lend themselves to PG-13 concepts, people lost their damn minds when they realized what it’s actually about. Whatever the motivation, though, it’s one hell of an anthem.
- “Hairspray Live!”: Speaking of Miss Grande, I’ve set my DVR to record her and the all-star cast in tonight’s showing of “Hairspray Live!” I’m normally not a fan of these live-action musicals, but I was impressed with their showing in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and I’ve always had a soft spot for the story. Will you be watching?
Images courtesy of: Twitter, SoFlo Bulls, 70 Mack, People
WO: Weekly Obsessions
Do you remember, as kids, how your siblings or friends would annoy you and you’d plug your ears and shout repeatedly, “I’m not listening!” That’s kind of the approach I’m taking over the next week or so. Also, BuzzFeed’s Election Survival Guide. Also, wine.
I swear, it has only a smidge to do with my desire for both teams to lose in Game 7 of the World Series tonight. #BitterPartyOfOne
- “This Is Us”: You hear me say it often, because it’s true: I didn’t need another show to fall in love with, but goshdangit, I couldn’t resist when so many people in my networks were raving about it. You can still catch up on demand, and despite the apparent love/hate for Mandy Moore as an actress, I think you’ll enjoy. It’s funny, sad, thought-provoking and so much more.
- Decision 2016: If you haven’t already voted — like me, because there are 42 propositions between SF and California — then you know full well it’s crunch time! I rarely get political in public, but I think this someecard sums it up perfectly. No debate needed, since everyone (even Ken Bone, I imagine) is sticking to their choice. Just make sure you do it!
- #NoDAPL: If you haven’t been following the Dakota Access Pipeline conversation, then you may have just started noticing it with this week’s viral check-ins. Aside from raising awareness, you can stand with Standing Rock using one of these ideas. From PayPal to donation drives, there are plenty of options for you to help out.
- “Diggy” – Spencer Ludwig: Got the song from the Target Vibes campaigns stuck in your head endlessly? You’re not alone. Although I have no idea why a woman is on a treadmill in platform heels, I’m otherwise enthralled with this earworm’s incentive to get up and dance. If ever there was a song to emulate “vibes,” this is it. Check out the extended commercial below, or click the image credits for Ludwig’s full song.
Images courtesy of: NBC, someecards, SocialFeed, YouTube
I’m Not an Addict, I Just Play One on TV
I have a love-hate relationship with the DVR — it’s convenient, keeps me entertained and can be a real time-saver (ha). On the other hand, it doesn’t always record properly and gives me anxiety when the storage nears 2/3 full.
More painstaking than that, however, is the annual wait to see which shows will be renewed by major networks. While piles of crap like “2 & 1/2 Men” float by — TEN seasons, really?! — gems with actual merit are removed without a second thought. I’m still mourning the loss of “Best Friends Forever,” though I enjoy Jessica as the Marshall’s lady and Lennon’s brief appearance on “Mad Men.”
I’m so grateful ABC execs recognized the powerhouse that is “Nashville,” but I’m severely disappointed to see “Happy Endings” come to a, well … unhappy ending.
Although my taste level is questionable — I will defend The Real Housewives for sheer entertainment value at all costs — I cannot fathom why wit and charm are passed over for laugh tracks and seediness. Blech.
After finales air throughout the next few weeks, my DVR will finally get a much-needed break … because the only thing worse than the spring schedule coming to a close is the utter despair a “summer season” brings. TGFRHONJ!
WO: Weekly Obsessions
To say this week has been hellish would be an understatement. Not even being dramatic — not even a little bit — but I’m completely drained from the past few days and their effects. At least I’ve got these four dorky things to go nuts about:
- [For the book nerd] booksi™: This etsy shop combines classic literature with modern technology — and I couldn’t be happier. Now, how to choose from all of the beautiful options? Hmm …
- [For the athletic nerd] XXX Olympic Games: Yes, there’s such thing as an athletic nerd. From Team USA’s “Call Me Maybe” to history made daily, there’s something for everyone.
- [For the school nerd] USF Pinterest Contest: Calling all USF fanatics! Submit your USF-inspired pinboard by August 3 for a chance to win prizes. Don’t Stop BULLievin!
- [For the nostalgic nerd] “U + Me = Us (Calculus)” – 2gether: MTV’s best fake boy band debuted when I was in middle school, but their songs still resonate. I always had a thing for rapping white boys.
Your algebra and trigonometry could never
equal up to what you do to me.