I know I say it a lot, but I am truly exhausted today.
Why, you ask?
Well, I spent the last few days in San Fran looking at apartments and working from my new office, and then returned to New York on a red-eye this morning. No less than three cups of coffee later, and I’m finally certain that it is, in fact, Wednesday.
- Oren’s Daily Roast: I wouldn’t have survived today without my favorite downstairs baristas at Oren’s. If you want frou frou, go to Starbucks. If you want exciting flavor combos and coffee that tastes like coffee, check out this NYC staple.
- Out The Door: Back in California, some friends gave me a crash course on the SF food scene via OTD. Everything we tried was delicious, particularly the crispy salt & pepper squid salad. Yum!
- MUNI: It’s weird to be obsessed with public transportation — and its bus component, no less —but as someone who loathes the buses in NYC, I applaud SF’s city planners for thinking this one through. MUNI is easy to navigate and well-maintained … we’ll see if I’m still singing the same tune come October.
- “Leave the Night On” – Sam Hunt: I can’t put my finger on what it is that makes me gaga for this song, but I’m hooked. It doesn’t hurt that Hunt is foxy and he mentions Cali!
We’re almost halfway through 2014, people. Can you believe it? I thought summer days were supposed to be long and lazy, but I was apparently mistaken.
- Cousins Take Over!: 2 of my cousins from Florida visited all last week, and they covered more ground than I thought humanly possible. From Broadway shows (four!) to Yankee Stadium, they took Manhattan by storm.
- FIFA World Cup: Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know the World Cup is providing tons of highlights and heartache. From the hottest players to this one who thinks he’s Hannibal Lecter, the drama is nonstop. And, of course: USA! USA! USA!
- “The People’s Couch”: I’m a sucker for all things Bravo, and this little gem is no exception. Watch various groups of people watch TV — sounds silly, right? Well, it is … but it’s also incredibly entertaining. New episodes air Tuesdays at 10 p.m. EST.
- Baby Girl Argues with Bulldog: This just might be the cutest baby video (except for ones with my niece) ever. Her hand gestures really sell the point that she is NOT happy with the family pet. Enjoy!
Since I’m officially a senior citizen and enjoy discussing the weather at great length, I thought you should know that my KNEECAPS were sweating yesterday. Sunshine is finally upon us in the city, and I couldn’t be happier to show up at work with soaked knees and a flushed face.
Lovely visuals, huh? Let’s get some nicer ones in your mind:
- “Game of Thrones”: I know, I know. I’m way behind on this one, because my stubborn inner voice said I’d never enjoy such an unbelievable show. Well, I’m hooked. Just seven episodes in, I plan to binge-watch all weekend.
- Warmer Weather: Isn’t it obvious? I can finally put away my sweaters and pants, and trade them for tank tops and flip-flops! My summer wardrobe is ON POINT (thanks to decades in Florida), so I’m sure my office is also thankful to see my oatmeal sweaters retire.
- 230 Fifth: The rooftop space of this swanky hotel and lounge was perfect for a summer concert. Their service wasn’t great, but the views and atmosphere more than made up for it.
- Platinum Album – Miranda Lambert: That summer concert I just attended? It was for the Queen of Country, whose latest album I’ve had on repeat since yesterday’s release. “Platinum,” “Priscilla” and “Somethin’ Bad” are my top tunes so far.
It’s been a tough week, you guys. I had the best time with Magz visiting, but she went home right before a good friend of mine here moved back to Florida herself. Couple that with the true New York experience of someone dying in my building, and all I can say is: Next week has to be better.
- Homejoy: I was thrilled to use a Groupon for this cleaning service before my mom’s visit. Sure, my place was clean — but nowhere near “mom clean.” I didn’t particularly love the woman assigned, but there are literally thousands of certified employees to work with in the future.
- “How I Met Your Mother” Finale: SPOILER ALERT! I hadn’t watched much of the last 2 seasons, but knew I had to watch Monday’s finale. I was underwhelmed (not just whelmed) and thought it was a total cop-out. DISCUSS.
- Bowling with the Bulls: My alumni group is hosting a bowling event tomorrow night at Bowlmor Union Square. All are welcome to help us celebrate the 2013 grads who’ve moved to NYC — check it out!
- “The Mother We Share” – Chvrches: A co-worker reminded me of this eclectic jam via one of his many applauded playlists. Makes it easy to zone out and forget about anything going on outside my own little bubble.
The past week with Magz visiting has been an absolute blast — an exhausting blast, mind you — but a blast nonetheless. She’s seen so much and kept me out way past my bedtime … we even closed down the bar Saturday night!
And her faithful travel companion, Flat Stanley, has been quite the little hellraiser. It was hard to narrow down our top picks, but I got by with a little help from my (flat) friend:
- Salsa y Salsa: This Mexican restaurant in Chelsea is the perfect mix of traditional favorites and modern flavors. The margaritas are exceptional, as were the fish tacos. ¡Ay dios!
- Rice to Riches: I was skeptical as any when a friend recommended this concept shop that serves only rice pudding. Boy, is my face red. The Chocolate Chip Flirt was divine and well worth our trek to Chinatown.
- Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum: What else can you do in NYC besides eat? Well, hang out with a bunch of creepy wax figures, of course! The handiwork is actually quite incredible and the atmosphere welcomed our goofing around.
- “Rock of Ages”: We just had to see a Broadway show, and this choice was phenomenal. All of the cast and crew were so talented, and the music reminds us all of a time before selfies and hashtags. Nailed it!
OK, so I finally understand why people find Christmastime in New York City so magical. The lights, the decorations, the snow … it’s all pretty exciting for this Florida girl. Here’s what else has me fa-la-laing:
- This London Fog Coat: Remember how I’d marry those LOFT leggings if I could (I’m wearing them again today, obviously). Well, the same goes for this absolutely perfect winter coat. It fits like a dream and is warm without being bulky — just look how happy that model is!
- #PaleGirlProblems: My fair-skinned frand was such a peach for showing me this list of true issues for the fair and freckled. As much as I’m loving the winter here so far, it sure does make me realize just how pasty I can get. Hooray!
- People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Drucks struck gold twice this week when she shared an amazing blog that so encapsulates everything I want to be in life. From overachieving mommies to movie-theater a-holes, she’s got it all covered.
- “Evolution of Beyoncé” – Pentatonix: It’s been a while (read: NEVER) since I featured a song from Queen B. This should count for at least a half a point, since it’s a Beyoncé-inspired medley of magic. Pentatonix, you just won yourself a new fan.