It’s been far too long since I did a full-blown WO so I’m back with a vengeance. Not really, but it has been one of the most challenging weeks in recent memory and I’m doing my damndest to work through it without imploding.
- Vacation in Sight: That’s right, the countdown is on for a little getaway to Deutschland AKA Germany. My body is ready for all of the beer, bread, pretzels, and other stereotypical fare we can expect at none other than OKTOBERFEST. Am I excited? You betcha.
- A Dirndl: Basically the only thing that turned my mood around today (pre-vacation stress, you know) was receiving my Oktoberfest outfit. My inspiration may or may not have been Gracie Lou Freebush, and I just have a few finishing touches to make it perfekt.
- Alligator’s Birthday: My eldest niece turns SIX tomorrow. Where does the time go? She is smart, sassy, and all the things I wish I was at her age. As the leader of now two other little sisters, she’s got some big shoes to fill. Luckily, big feet run in our family. Happy almost birthday, Alligator! Ah-nt Ah-mahn-dah loves you!
- “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish: I’ve somehow managed to miss covering this megahit teen sensation who is all the things I could never be at her age. The video is hauntingly fascinating, from skinned knees to dance moves, and the tune cannot stay out of my head for more than 2 hours at a time. I’d say “you go girl” but then I think her fans would find me and beat me up.
My birthday weekend went much differently than planned, which could be the universe’s way of knocking me on my ass a bit. Whatever the case, I’ve got a few things to keep me smiling through the bumps and bruises.
- Lillian Grace: Despite anxiously awaiting my niece’s arrival, there’s still something so magical about her actually making her entrance into the world. She was born on June 30 at 1:12pm ET, weighing 8lbs and 13 oz, and was 19.5in long. Welcome to our crazy, beautiful family, Lillian! I can’t wait to squish those cheeks and cover you with kisses soon.
- SFMOMA: The iconic SF Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) closed for extensive renovations before I moved here, so to say I was excited for a team outing there is a total understatement. We didn’t even make it through the entire building; there’s so much to explore and enjoy. Highly recommend whether you live in SF or are just passing through.
- Birthday Gifts: After an extra-long weekend, our office was a little sluggish getting back into the swing of things today. But two of my teams surprised me with thoughtful cards, flowers and gifts from SFMoMA, which filled my heart with happiness 🙂 ← Proof
- Sugar Pine Point: As promised, Tahoe was absolutely stunning this weekend. Our campsite was the perfect distance from the outside world, yet we were close enough to the lake that we could kayak and watch fireworks and relax without much prep at all. It’s no wonder the sites sell out on the first day of the season!
Images courtesy of: SIL + Brother, Twitter, Me x2
Maybe it’s the influx of new parents on my FB stalker feed. Maybe it’s missing my niece something fierce. Maybe it’s just that I have finally found a soft spot for (some) children.
Whatever the reason, here are some little nugs keeping me entertained this week:
- Allison: I’ve been obsessed with my niece for almost a year now — ask any of my friends — but I’m going through serious withdrawals lately. Just look at that faaaace. Do you wanna see 500 more photos? Inquire within.
- The “Apparently Kid”: This viral video features a young gingery boy who has the vernacular of an old-timer. His explanation of riding the super slide is to die for!
- Baby Cries Until You Let Her Rage to Katy Perry: My dear friend shared this video, because it reminded him of Allison. It’s reassuring to know I’ll be a great babysitter if it just takes pop music to make her happy.
- “Dark Horse” – Katy Perry: Well, obviously. I enjoyed the song (quietly) for some time, but I guess I can now make my obsession public. If it means it’ll stop a baby’s wailing, I’m all about it, KP.
I thought it was Tuesday for most of the day, once again proving how great I am at being an adult and keeping track of anything.
On one hand, I thought I was being super proactive by figuring out my WOs a day ahead. On the other hand, I fear I’m slowly slipping into madness.
Let’s just get to the good stuff, shall we?
- Jen & Matt Getting Married: I’m heading to Florida this weekend to witness the nuptials of my dear sorority sister/former co-worker and her betrothed. I have no doubt it’ll be a beautiful day and I can’t wait to celebrate with them!
- This Ladybug: Adding to my excitement for this trip is the fact that I’ll finally meet my beautiful niece! She is clearly the cutest child to ever be born, and I can’t promise that she won’t be coming back to NYC with me.
- “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?”: After a few heavy reads, it was time for me to lighten up a bit and reread Mindy Kaling’s hilarious memoir. She is my muse, my everything!
- “Gorilla” – Bruno Mars: These WOs are nothing, if not random, so my only explanation for loving this song is that I’ve gone bananas. Did you see what I did there?