It’s been a weird week, getting back into the swing of things at work and trying to get the last of my movers’ boxes unpacked. Weird, I thought staring at the boxes for hours on end would prompt them to unpack themselves. Hmph.
- National Singles’ Day: You guys hear about this? Apparently November 11 is China’s National Singles’ Day. The most impressive feat of all? Alibaba (similar to Amazon in the US) took full advantage to have more than $9 BILLION in sales. Dayummm, girl.
- Straw: This carnival-themed restaurant in Hayes Valley serves up delicious food and whimsical decor at a decent price. We didn’t get to sit in the Tilt-O-Whirl booth this time … all the more reason to go back soon!
- OKCupid: I recently joined this dating site in an attempt to take my relationships more seriously (had nothing to do with Singles’ Day, I swear). So far, it’s a better experience than my first few days on Tinder. We’ll see how long this lasts.
- “Secrets” – Mary Lambert: This soulful singer is well-known after last year’s “Same Love” with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis — and now her upbeat and honest follow-up is sure to be another smash. In the words of my mother: You go girl!
I write today still recovering from the past weekend’s shenanigans and prepping for what’s coming in the days ahead. So just bear with me:
- Tinder: Well, duh. Even though I’ve already mastered it — and the game aspect isn’t all that exciting anymore — I still have to applaud its creators for appealing to millions of ADD millenials.
- “Chrisley Knows Best”: I was intrigued by the previews for this new show with its patriarch retorting to one child that he’s “been there, done that and got the T-shirt, son, and you’re just doing reruns.” Trust me, it doesn’t disappoint. Catch new episodes Tuesdays at 10 EST on USA.
- Magz Coming to Visit: My one and only, favorite momma is spending a week with me starting tomorrow! I can hardly contain my excitement to show her how grown up I am.
- Christopher Walken Dance Now: I’m told this video went viral yesterday (a year in Internet land), but I discovered it today so LISTEN UP. Umm, it’s a mash-up of Christopher Walken dancing. Not much else to say.
It’s been one helluva week in news, what with Amanda Bynes’s continued meltdown and two other attention whores naming their kid North West. I’m sorry, you thought I meant real news? Psh posh. Today’s top stories:
- “Catfish: The TV Show”: I seriously hate myself for getting hooked, but there was a marathon leading to last night’s Season 2 premiere and I just couldn’t stop. Damn you, Internet, for making this show possible!
- Wil Myers: Although he plays for the Rays, this kid (yeah, 22!) has made quite the debut. His Grand Slam against my Yankees Saturday was his first major-league homer. He then went home to hit a HR against Toronto and help snap their 11-game streak. Not bad!
- Aubrey Plaza: Obviously, I love her on Parks & Rec, but today is also her birthday. So for that, I salute her. Even if she had a total WTF? moment on live TV.
- “Rouse Yourself” – JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound: The birthday girl stars with Human Grumpy Cat Jake Johnson in this funky fresh music video. The song is dark but dreamy; stick through the whole video — the surprise ending is worth it.
And for you dedicated readers, I apologize for the lack of posts lately. Some personal issues have diverted my attention, but I promise to get back on track soon. Thanks for sticking with me!