I intended to cover some other very exciting things this week, but then I noticed a recurring theme and couldn’t stop myself. You guys know I love a good theme, yeah? Let’s see if you can figure it out, but first, lemme light a candle:
- Van Diemens: RIP, you awful bar. I spent so many nights (and days) in NYC at this bar, first because they played my college team’s football games, but then because we got to know the staff so well they just gave us great deals all the time. I recently learned it’s since closed and my poor soul aches thinking of all the times we could have had if it hadn’t closed its doors.
- Paradise Park: Even more recently (as in last night), I learned this Nashville treasure shuttered last summer. You want a bucket of Bud Lights and live music and the best people-watching that side of the Mississippi? Well, good luck finding it anywhere else on the bar-lined Broadway. In all seriousness, though, Paradise Park will forever remain my fave Nashville spot and I’m in full mourning.
- Ghost from GoT: Has a CGI character ever inspired such reaction, such fan-demonium, such chatter? Probably, but this one’s top of mind and so he’s featured here today. The budget for Game of Thrones is utterly wild, so to know our dear Ghost gets any screen time anymore is kind of a major blessing… but it’s still not enough for us fans. All Ghost, all the time? I smell a sequel.
- “The Ghost of You” – My Chemical Romance: Oh yeah, we’re throwing it back and it’s not even Thursday yet. As you’ve likely guessed by now, this week has dug up a lot of ancient memories for me, so it’s only natural I tip my metaphorical hat to the guyliner-wearing screamers I loved. Never one to love a mosh pit, I can still appreciate how this song gives me all the feels all these years later.
Were your social-media feeds flooded with engagements and baby announcements today … like, more than usual? April Fools’ Day jokes aside, I am over the moon for one very real engagement: my good friend Cosmo proposed to his lady, Natasha, and I couldn’t be happier for them.
And now? A Nashville-themed week of obsessions. I’m still recovering from my friend Meghan’s bachelorette weekend, so it totally counts:
- Yazoo Brewery: What better way to start the weekend than with a brewery tour? Yazoo’s hefeweizen was delicious and refreshing, and I faintly remember enjoying the other seven samples we had, too 😉
- Sprocket Rocket Party Bikes: It’s a big trend in Nashville to pedal your way around town with music pumping and drinks flowing. We made the most of this fad with our awesome guide, John, and bartender, Mary. Considering the bride-to-be didn’t make it out after, I’d say this was the most successful activity.
- Paradise Park: I was told to check this place out, and we stumbled upon it our second night in Music City. You guys, seriously: This bar brought back so many college memories of cheap beer and live cover bands and dancing like nobody’s watching. Last call came way too soon, and I couldn’t wait to go back.
- Grand Ole Opry: As my Instagram caption says, “Take me to church.” The backstage tour of country music’s most hallowed halls was so cool … even Deacon from the ABC show “Nashville” made a (recorded) appearance! I could get used to that.