If you’ve been around here a while, you may recall how September holds a smorgasbord of birthdays in my family. Well, add one more to the list because on Monday (the 2nd), my third niece was born!
She is absolutely perfect and healthy and squishy and snuggly and all the things I’ve ever hoped for these girls. Sister-in-Law is doing well, as are Brother and their older daughters.
It’s been an emotional week as we watched Hurricane Dorian decimate the Bahamas and prayed for relief of its residents (not to mention, a slowdown and fade-out before causing any more damage). Little Niec3’s arrival added more tears — albeit happy ones — and the remaining September babies have lots to celebrate as well.
High fives all around, yeah?
Fall! October! Orange! Pumpkin! … What is it about this month that makes everyone lose their collective shit? Clearly, I’m not one of those people.* Riiiight.
- MY NIECE!: Yes, this is an all-caps situation. Allison Marie was born last Thursday at 7:56 p.m. Both she and my sister-in-law are doing well, and I can’t wait to see them (and Brother, too) soon!
- These Boots: Even though NYC’s weather isn’t cooperating, every new season requires new shoes. These Bandolino rider boots were 40% off with my discount, so of course I needed them in two colors.
- Leah & Sam’s Wedding: My dear friend celebrates her marriage Saturday, and I’m thrilled to be there for her. We’ll take in the Washington sites (possibly), and eat and drink for days (definitely). Speaking of DC …
- The Government Shutdown: OK, I’m obviously not thrilled to see Congress implode. But Jon Stewart’s rant below is pretty damn entertaining, and Jimmy Kimmel reveals just how clueless so many are. Shocking, I know. Whatever your stance, it can’t be argued: The downward spiral of American politics continues.
Poor quality, but the original one is no longer available.
*Did you count how many of those very things I featured? Amateurs.
I haven’t felt as emotional about living in New York as I have today, the 12th anniversary of our nation’s deadliest terrorist attacks. The city that never sleeps is a little bit somber, but it’s also stronger. If you haven’t already, thank the servicemen and women in your life for their continued support. And with that, here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- These Guys’ Birthdays: It’s my godfather’s birthday, as well as my good friend Charlie’s. They’re some of my favorite fellas, and I’m so glad they’ve kept me around for years. Cheers, boys!
- Lazzara’s: Pizza There’s no better way to honor New York than with an authentic slice, and Lazzara’s is a new fave for just that. Their daily specials are great, and a half-size pie is perfect for a hearty lunch treat.
- 9/11 Memorial: My college bestie and I visited when she was here for Labor Day, and it was such a heavy experience (in a good way). The stories and perspective it offers are invaluable — I think it should be on every American’s bucket list. Visit the site for more info and how you can donate.
- “The Final Countdown” – Europe: We’re in the final weeks of waiting for my niece to arrive, so naturally, this anthem has played in my head on repeat. Fun fact: I sent my company’s entire NY office the below gif in an email … on purpose.