As the first quarter of 2016 comes to a close, I can’t quite believe how much has happened. From weddings to babies, a Presidential circus and more, I’m eager — and a little terrified — of what the rest of 2016 will bring. Buckle up, folks:
- A Burrito Baby: Comedians and friends MK and Ella are doing their part to “keep Austin weird.” They recently released a gorgeous series of faux pregnancy photos, entitled “Burrito Makes Three.” Let’s be real, though: There are plenty of couples I could see doing this and being 100% serious.
- Lilica’s Puppies: Speaking of fun photo shoots, you may have heard about the maternity photo shoot for a dog — which was just about as cute as can be. Well, Lilica the dachshund had her puppies the very next day and now an all-new shoot was published with her FIVE adorable babes. All the feels and squeals.
- Wentworth Miller Speaks Out: Mental health is often a hush-hush topic, but the “Prison Break” star penned a post that’s making people talk. His response to a meme poking fun at his weight has been shared more than 200K times in two days, expressing his past struggles and present attention to assign meaning. Grab the tissues and read it for yourself here.
- Muir Beach Trail: One of my work teams completed this 5-mile trail hike on Friday, and let me tell you: It wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. Sweeping views of the Pacific, gorgeous scenery and an uphill trek that my phone logged as SIXTY-TWO stories… not a bad Good Friday at all, folks.
A fluffy furball, an awards ceremony to remember, an extra day to do something and a rant to end all rants. I’d say it’s a pretty good week!
- This Puppy with Braces: Brace yourself. (Yeah, I went there.) Wesley is a six-month-old golden retriever suffering from teething problems and pain. Luckily, his owner, Molly Moore, is the daughter of a veterinarian who specializes in dentistry. Voila! Cutest damn metal mouth you’ve ever seen. Now this is a “break the Internet” trend I can appreciate.
- The 88th Annual Academy Awards: Despite boycotts and ultimately, historically low viewership, this year’s Oscars provided difficult — yet necessary — commentary. From lack of diversity to sexual abuse, environmental impact and more, Chris Rock et al. were not afraid to go there. If only our Presidential candidates could speak so passionately and maintain their dignity.
- Leap Day: What else am I late to the game to comment on? February 29 was Leap Day, AKA an extra day to get shit done and be amazing. Of course, it was a Monday, so I grumbled through my morning routine and was exhausted by dinnertime. All I can say is, I’m glad it’s only every four years (and the next one’s a Saturday)!
- “Last Week Tonight” Makes Donald Drumpf Again: I often refrain from public commentary about politics and absolutely refuse to tolerate disrespectful comments about this. Take 20 minutes with John Oliver’s brilliant takedown of Donald Trump and recognize the reality we face with this election. I’m not into scare tactics, but let’s prevent a living nightmare.
I’d like to thank all of you who took the time to read about Duane and Deirdre’s story last week, offered help and spread the word. I know there are countless stories like theirs, so it means all that much more to me that you contributed to their cause.
- Mom Hears Deceased Son’s Heartbeat: If you haven’t seen this story yet, grab some tissues. Heather Clark’s 3-year-old son died tragically in 2013 and his organs were donated to help other children. The recipient of his heart, 4-year-old Jordan Drake, recently met Heather and gave her the most precious gift: a listen to her son’s heartbeat. If that doesn’t pull at your own heartstrings, I don’t know what will.
- Super Bowl L: Um, hello. This is Planet Earth. Have you heard? The 50th Super Bowl is Sunday, coming at you from none other than San Fran-freaking-cisco. The city is abuzz with excitement as an estimated 1 million visitors flock to the Bay Area. I’ll be enjoying the game from a friend’s place, but if you’re braving the events, may the odds be ever in your favor.
- Puppy Bowl: With every Super Bowl the last 12 years comes the furry frenzy that is Puppy Bowl! My team plans to stop by the Puppy Bowl Café (terrible name, btw) to see the players in action. And, Uber was sending puppies to various locations nationwide — if you were lucky enough to snag a spot. Let the cuteness overload begin!
- “I’m So Excited” – The Pointer Sisters: Some big changes are coming to the Wittyburg world, and while I can’t share specifics just yet, I can say that I’m so excited! Cue this song and, naturally, the “Saved by the Bell” gif we’ve all grown to love. Stay tuned… and in the meantime, enjoy the totally rad ‘80s montage.
I never tire of writing ridiculous Christmas Wish Lists. I rarely need anything, and I prefer to buy the things I want for myself. So, here’s my 2011 Wish List for Santa — good luck, big guy.
For Christmas this year, I want:
My boyfrand to stop being on location for so many movies
Snow-capped Central Park … in Tampa
Any of the little guys from my Furry Friends Pinterest board
Martha Stewart’s home, her entertaining skillz —and the dog
My Christmas spirit to last the entire season (for once)
P.S. Did anyone else realize Martha put a bird on it?