If you’re a word nerd like me, there’s no doubt you’ll love these finds:
- “Turtles All the Way Down” – John Green: As you can imagine, I had plenty of reading material to get through during 11+ hours of flights last week. Bestselling author John Green does it again with this intriguing and unabashed introspection of mental health, adolescence and family bonds.
- “Money Diaries” – Lindsey Stanberry: You already know I love Refinery29’s Money Diaries so it’s no wonder I was full-on pumped for this compilation of firsthand stories and financial advice. From paying off loans to buying a home, it’s a must-have for making cents of complicated topics. You’re welcome.
- “We Are Never Meeting in Real Life” – Samantha Irby: The always hilarious Irby does it again with this array of personal essays. It’s completely normal to burst out laughing in the middle of an airport, right? Nothing to see here, just pure enjoyment and entertainment from these ridiculous real-life stories.
- “2002” – Anne-Marie: If you listened to the radio 16 years ago, I can guarantee you’ll love this ode to throwback tunes. From Nelly to *NSYNC and everything in between, Anne-Marie has you covered.
The fun part about being in meetings for five to seven hours of the workday means it flies by, often without even realizing how late in the day it is. Yeah, that’s the fun part.
- Coconut Oil: I feel a little bit like the dad from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” here when I champion how coconut oil is kind of a miracle cure. I’ve used it in the past to oil pull for whiter teeth, and a friend recently recommended it to heal a crispy sunburn. And with a nominal cost for a huge tub, I literally can’t get enough!
- Refinery 29 Money Diaries: To say I’m obsessed is an understatement. These peeks into anonymous women’s weekly spending is fascinating — they span all over the country (and some international locales), ranges of salaries, couples versus singletons, parents versus not, and so much more. Be warned, though: You will get hooked.
- “Crazy Rich Asians” – Kevin Kwan: With money on my mind, it’s no wonder I’ve fallen quickly in love with this fast read. The bestselling book will be released as a movie in August, so you have plenty of time to read it — and the subsequent two novels — before then. Enjoy!
- “Sorry Not Sorry” – Demi Lovato: This power anthem is yet another one for the breakup playlist, guys. I may not be turning into Demi anytime soon, but it’s a great reminder after heartbreak or even a friendship ending that you can stay true to yourself while still being strong.
I don’t know if it’s possible to put in any more hours than I have the past few weeks. Between my day job, freelance and getting the apartment in shape, I am le tired. Me, me, me. Wah, wah, wah.
Let’s make this quick, then, shall we?:
- Subway Time: If you’re like me and perpetually late, then this little app is a gem from the fickle MTA gods. Do you need to book it or can you take a Sunday stroll? Check how long you have to make your next train; available for select lines.
- My Life (So Far) Without a Date: It seems like everyone in my generation is happily coupled up, well on their way to marriage and 2.3 perfect kids. This piece from Refinery 29 excerpts Kate Heaney’s novel that reassures us solo riders that — hey, we’re pretty great (and normal).
- Cascabel Taqueria: Unlimited mimosas, spicy margaritas and other libations + tasty Mexican food + walking distance from my apartment = the perfect brunch. The Benedict dishes are served on cornbread. Need I say more?
- “Counting Stars” – OneRepublic: I really, really didn’t want to like this song. And while it still doesn’t make me want to buy a car or whatever other product it’s selling for the millionth time, I have to admit: I’m a fan.