I’m low on sleep but high on energy to bring you all this week’s finds. Here’s hoping I don’t crash before I finish…
- La Croix Cocktails: I previously mentioned my love for La Croix flavored sparkling water. Well, I’m hopelessly addicted now that I have an endless supply at work. Good thing a writer at Gizmodo curated nine cocktail recipes to make with La Croix! Happy hour just got a little happier.
- RunKeeper: With my newfound Run Club at work, I wanted to try this wildly popular app to map my route and pace. The welcome series of emails was a little aggressive, but I’m otherwise pleased with the experience so far. Bonus: It’s on sale for just $20/year — get it while you can!
- Firefly: I recently celebrated three months with my company by joining my referring co-worker and our mutual friend at this spot in Noe Valley. It’s largely veg-focused, but I can attest that the fried chicken and biscuit were also stellar. It was a nice departure from my usual menu, especially with the tart and vibrant fried green tomatoes. Yum!
- Jay Pharaoh: SNL’s king of impressions has done it again — this time, mimicking various rappers. Best of all, host and musical guest Drake had something to say about it. Despite the crap quality (thanks for hoarding your videos, SNL), you won’t be disappointed, fam.*
*Am I using that correctly? I’m too old and white to be cool.
This week is full of firsts for me, and I’m pretty pumped about it. I won’t keep you guessing; I’m way too excited:
- Run Club: If you just fell off your chair, I’ll give you a moment to get yourself together. I’ve never, ever, ever enjoyed running — even in all my years as an athlete, I would muddle through sprints but hated any sort of endurance exercise. I’ve just begun a twice-a-week run club with a co-worker, and our two miles of run/jog/walk intervals were just the thing to start my week off right.
- Root Division’s Drawing 101: Again, I’ll give you a minute to let that sink in. I’ve always found creative outlets in writing but haven’t managed to develop my drawing skills beyond stars and cubes. Inspired by co-workers again, I began a six-session course last night for a more formal introduction to drawing. Here’s hoping I get more than just stick figures out of the experience 😉
- Toastmasters: Public speaking wasn’t an issue for me, really, until a few months ago, when I felt like I totally botched my maid of honor speech in front of more than 200 people. Thankfully, my company started a Toastmasters club, and I gave my first speech this afternoon. Tears aside — no, really — I’m excited to spend an hour each week learning how to best present myself.
- Mayer Hawthorne: Admittedly, I hadn’t heard of this funky guy (so it’s OK if you haven’t, either). My boyfriend suggested we go to his concert this weekend, so my Spotify has been on loop ever since. I can’t pinpoint whose music Hawthorne’s is reminiscent of, but I can tell you it sure is groovy.
Things are certainly looking up, my friends. Isn’t it funny how you can go from some of your lowest lows to some of your highest highs in just a few days’ time? …Maybe not funny haha, but interesting to say the least.
- Vince Camuto Julia Satchel: In addition to last week’s musical medley, I decided to treat myself to a little retail therapy. I’ve had my eye on this beauty for a while and finally pulled the trigger during Macy’s Friends & Family Sale. I mean, it was basically free 😉
- My Promotion!: The workweek started with a lovely surprise meeting with my bosses, where I was promoted to be a Copy Manager! I’m still basking in the glow of being recognized, and I’m so excited to see what my future holds. Cheers to that.
- Bay to Breakers: This 103-year-old tradition is the premier event for San Franciscans, and this year’s iconic race kicks off Sunday at 8 a.m. A little aggressive, but the promise of costumes and mimosas shall keep me in high spirits.
- “Fight Song” – Rachel Platten: The lyrics are beautiful, the melody is awesome and I can’t seem to get this little ditty out of my head. Not that I’m complaining — nothing says “girl power” quite like “I don’t really care if nobody else believes, ‘cuz I’ve still got a lot of fight left in me.”