Hello, it’s December. Of 2019. The last month of the 2010s… how in the hell did that happen?
My brain cannot process this information, nor is it capable of looking ahead to the next decade (or day, or week, or month, or even the yeeeear).
Instead, I’m curling up to binge seasons of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and Google holiday card designs and basically avoid all sense of reality until the NYE ball (or other shoe) drops.
Blame it on the jet lag or lack of sleep or meeting marathons but I simply cannot werk any longer to deliver the goods tonight. Promise you won’t hate me for it?
Now, I’ll sashay away. Xoxo
Yesterday’s shooting at YouTube HQ hit close to home, as you can imagine. I’m grateful to report my handful of friends who work there are all safe, but it’s yet another example of this complex issue and our system’s failure to address it. I’m not one to stand on a soapbox but I also feel like we just continue to shout into the void. Distractions are sometimes necessary, and here’s what’s keeping my mind occupied otherwise:
- Rediscovering Volleyball: After many months of discussion with a few girlfriends, we’ve finally gotten a volleyball team together and had our first practice last night. It’s been at least eight years since I bumped, set or spiked — and my forearms are feeling it — but I’m pumped for the next 10 weeks of play. Game on!
- SF Walk to Work Day: Inspired by last night’s sweat sesh, I reignited my walking commute today. Perfect timing, as tomorrow is SF’s Walk to Work Day. Assuming the Pineapple Express storm of the century holds off, I’ll be sure to stop by the nearest freebie hub to celebrate. Hills be damned, who wouldn’t prefer a scenic walk over a crowded bus ride with strangers’ armpits in your face?
- “RuPaul’s Drag Race”: 10 seasons of Drag Race? You’re a winner, baby. It’s been interesting to see the evolution of this series, including the All-Stars spin-offs, and this season has no shortage of drama. The contestants, the challenges, the judges — I’m living for it all. Catch new episodes on Thursdays at 8pm ET, only on VH1.
- “Bad at Love” – Halsey: The enigmatic songstress was recently a judge on Drag Race, promptly reminding me to consume her discography. This current chart-topper is no stranger to being a fan favorite, and I’d bet that nearly every millennial has felt “bad at love” at some point in modern dating. Enjoy!
In case you couldn’t tell from yesterday’s social media teaser, I’ve been on a bit of a high kick lately. It could be from binge-watching “RuPaul’s Drag Race” or because I am slowly losing all of my last fucks to give, but I’m all about “drag” this week. You’ll see.
- Drag Queens of Comedy: A friend suggested this event a while ago, and the date finally came for us to enjoy these lovely ladies’ raunchy routines. I laughed so hard I cried, and I envied the hair and makeup I’ve never quite nailed myself. The singing, the dancing, the jokes, the SHADE of it all! Brava, queens… you slayed.
- Dragon Beaux: This iconic establishment is reported to have the best dim sum in SF, and I’m happy to report back how delicious it truly is. From the dumplings to the noodles and steamed buns, you really can’t go wrong. It’s worth making a reservation and avoiding the crazy-long line — you won’t be disappointed.
- A Draggggged Bachelor: • BACHELORETTE SPOILER ALERT • We’re only in Week 2, but there’s already more drama than Nick’s entire season. DeMario’s ex showed up to tell Rachel he’d been running around on both of them. His face says it all… and Bachelor Nation didn’t hold back on Twitter. God bless this ridiculous reality show and the people it brings with it (like my hometown boy, the professional Tickle Monster).
- “Supermodel (You Better Work)” – RuPaul: Well, obviously. The queen of all queens, RuPaul, has brought both awareness and joy to millions through various platforms (and I’m not talking about the shoes). Her legendary hit single is extra ‘90s, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If loving Ru is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.