Today’s WOs will be short and sweet — I have much to prepare for, as you’ll see!:
- YOU Guys: Our family is so thankful for all the love we’ve seen since my dad’s passing. Knowing we have an incredible support system helps us to heal and honor the wonderful life he had. I can’t express my gratitude enough.
- Aunt Amanda Time: My sister-in-law will be induced tomorrow, which means my niece enters the world in less than 24 hours! I’m sure everything will go smoothly, but you can say a quick prayer just in case 🙂
- Frand Is (Almost) Here: Rachel, my life twinsie, arrives tonight for a weeklong visit to NYC with her husband. Her dirty 30th is Saturday … this poor city won’t even see it coming.
- “Hashtags” – Jimmy Fallon & Justin Timberlake: I’m guilty of abusing the hashtag trend from time to time — but only in writing — never when speaking. This now-viral parody of millenials is so entertaining, just as you’d expect from our favorite bromance.
With so much to celebrate and so little time, it’s best we just jump right in to this week’s obsessions:
- Pop’s Birthday: My grandpa turns 83 today, making him simultaneously the most seasoned and badass member of the family. Here’s to another year of laughs, love and killing the Sunday crossword.
- Rachel Getting Married: No, not the movie. I’m talking about this Saturday’s nuptials of my twinsie, Rachel, and her ManFiancé. I couldn’t be more excited to spend time with them and the crazy crew.
- The Florida Keys: It’s just so unfortunate I have to travel to the Florida Keys for Rachel’s wedding. Woe is me. Juuust kidding — bring on the sunshine and salty air, stat!
- “Duck Dynasty”: I’m way behind on this one, but I just started watching this hilarious glimpse of self-made millionaires in the Louisiana backwoods. They all say ridiculous things, but naturally, Si is my favorite. He’s a real peach.
I’ve had a massive headache all day, making work (among other things) extremely difficult to get through. To combat the migraines I inevitably face from lack of relaxation, here are my go-to tricks for alleviating stress and headaches.
Put on good music. It can be soothing or booming with beats, but make sure it’s something that won’t require you to shuffle after every few tracks. I love Straight No Chaser and Mumford & Sons for this very reason.
Work it out. If you’re feeling up to it, a 30-minute cardio sesh will do wonders for your stress levels. Releasing endorphins makes you happy (and happy people just don’t shoot their husbands).
Change into something cozy. Whether it’s your Forever Lazy or sweats and a tee, wipe away the day’s dramas with a comfortable and relaxed ensemble. Extra points for Snuggies!
Pour a glass of wine. The men may poo-poo at this, but a nice glass of vino takes away stress much faster than a brew ever could. Try your best not to finish the entire bottle — otherwise, you’ll end up with an even bigger headache in the morning.
Light soothing-scented candles. I love lavender and vanilla fragrances when I need an escape, but any smell that transports you to a better place will do.
Make a comforting meal. It doesn’t need to be fancy (and shouldn’t be complicated), but treat yourself to a delicious dish of fresh and flavorful ingredients. I absolutely adore saltedchocolate’s Mozzarella Caprese Pasta after a rough day.
There are plenty of other ways to lower your stress level, but this six-step routine has become my Bible.
What helps you relax? Is it a combination of these ideas or something else entirely? Share your favorites here!
You tell ’em, Ross.