- “Ghostbusters: Answer the Call”: I can’t remember a movie that had me laughing for nearly the entire time, but this reboot has four fantastic leading ladies, a bunch of throwback references and some awesome eye candy. That’s what I call a winning combo.
- A Visit Back East: It’s only been six months since I was last in Florida, but so much has changed in that time and I can’t wait to get there this weekend. If I spend the entire time squishing my niece’s cheeks and watching “Zootopia” with my other niece, then I think I’ll be just fine.
- “The Night Of”: I did not need another show to watch. Really, I didn’t. But a co-worker and another friend each told me how much I needed to see this one, and I caved. I’m glad I did… the premiere left me breathless from start to finish, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of this miniseries unfolds.
- “This Is What You Came For” – Calvin Harris f. Rihanna: I honestly could not care less about the drama surrounding Taylor’s songwriting contributions (or not) to this song. And I really, really didn’t want to like it, because, Rihanna. But damn, it’s an earworm. And despite my distaste for most EDM, this one really gets me pumped.
Most of my family is celebrating my cousin Kathleen’s wedding on a five-day cruise to the Bahamas. And while I wouldn’t mind lounging in Nassau, I’m getting over a nasty head cold and would have been awful company anyway. Sure, Amanda. Just keep telling yourself that…
- “The Family”: I was reluctant to add yet another show to my must-see list, but this series, so far, breaks all my rules. And I love it. The premise? “A community is rattled when a politician’s son, who was presumed murdered years ago, returns home.” (IMDb) And that’s just the beginning. Trust me, you don’t want to miss this one!
- Spring Has Sprung: Shout out to Daylight Saving Time (now that I’ve adjusted) and the beautiful weather we’ve had lately, because I’m really feeling this springtime thing. We’re still getting a few pockets of rain here and there, but fog retreated and sunshine returned … at least for a little bit.
- Foodnited States: Who says you shouldn’t play with your food? This series of fantastic food photographs celebrates a pun for each of our great 50 states. I’m obviously partial to Flo-radicchio and Kale-ifornia, but there are some other really clever creations. Dig in 🙂
- “Gone” – Parlour Tricks: My boyfriend and I saw Electric Six this weekend, and while I enjoyed their set (again!), the highlight for me was the opening act, Parlour Tricks. These three songstresses and three dudes on instruments brought fun, energy and excitement to the stage. My fave is “Gone,” but all their stuff is equally infectious.
I say it often, but I can’t quite believe how fast time flies! We’re nearly halfway through 2015, yet it feels like New Year’s Eve was just a few weeks ago. Of course, it doesn’t help that back-to-school ads are already out when it’s still JUNE. But, I digress:
- “Silicon Valley”: I’m behind the trend, but this HBO show focused on the infamous valley’s tech bubble is pure genius. Most of the main cast are longtime standup comedians; and the humor is smart, snarky and of course, tech-douchey. Watch it on demand, till it returns next spring.
- The Chieftain Irish Pub & Restaurant: I pass this authentic Irish establishment on my daily morning commute, and I finally had the chance to stop in last week for a pint. The service was great, the atmosphere electric, and we endlessly enjoyed our respective cider and ale.
- “Hey Girl” Journal: A super-thoughtful co-worker and friend gifted me this delightful little journal to pen all my deep thoughts — particularly about the Gosman himself. It’s filled with “Hey Girl” quotes and doodles of Gosling … sure to provide endless hours of entertainment.
- “Shut Up and Dance” – Walk the Moon: Upbeat lyrics + a poppy track + constant encouragement to shake it = a winning combo. This one’s been on repeat for me lately, and I make no apologies for it.