I need to level-set with y’all — and apologies for the corporate jargon (of “level-set” and certainly not “y’all”).
Can we agree that a move, even if it’s three blocks from your current residence, is all-encompassing? …OK, good.
Every spare minute of my jam-packed days and nights and weekends has been devoted to purging, packing, logistics, and more. I’m not looking for pity by any means, but I hope it explains why I’ve been a little more distracted than usual.
For example, I had to be told it’s National Siblings Day. Thankfully my one and only sibling is not a participant. That’s not for lack of love; he and I share the same philosophy.
Controversial opinion alert: If it has to be said on social media to acknowledge its existence, it’s likely not as strong as you make it sound. That’s not so say we haven’t posted for birthdays and anniversaries and important moments, but we also don’t hold it against each other if we’re not blasting it to the interwebs.
“But Witty, aren’t you posting about it now, and therefore, contradicting yourself?” Good point, reader. I am, in fact, posting about the “holiday.” But I haven’t said one thing about my brother to honor his existence or thank him for leading me or appreciate his bringing two perfect angel-face nieces to my life. See?
In any event, I hope these ramblings have resonated in some sense for you tonight. I’m half blaming it on moving brain and half blaming it on the crazy, impatient, stubborn, incredible big brother I have to look up to every day.
As much as I love seeing my family and friends back East, I absolutely loathe the time difference and trying to readjust midweek. I got home this morning around 1am, then of course had to shower and unpack a bit before passing out. Good thing the A Team at Starbucks is on today, as I’ve had more caffeine than I normally do in an entire week.
- A Curious Co-worker: What’s a surefire way to ensure you’re awake at your desk? How about returning to the office to find a heart-shaped, glittery necklace with Nic Cage front and center? I have no idea who left it — or why — and am too embarrassed after asking a handful of co-workers to pursue any more. If only Robert Stack were still around for this unsolved mystery. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted with updates. I know you’re waiting on pins and needles.
- A Week in Florida: The past week was filled with countless laughs and special moments. From celebrating one talented cousin’s Disney revue to another’s college graduation AND graduate school acceptance; to silly songs with my nieces; heartfelt Mother’s Day moments; beach and pool time with loved ones; long-awaited reunions; oh and that unmistakable humidity; it’s a visit I won’t soon forget. It never feels like enough time, though I can only do so many sleepovers with a certain kicking niece before I long for my own bed 😉
- A Nice Neighbor: This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous, but I needed the reminder that there are still genuine people in the world. My new home is coin-operated laundry, so when I moved out of my former place, I left my card in the laundry room with a note: “$7, Venmo Wittyburg if feeling generous.” I figured it was a lost cause but received a payment last night and couldn’t believe my eyes. So thanks to Drew, from God-knows-which-apartment-number, for being a kind neighbor.
- A Friend-filled “First Dates”: I’ve been watching NBC’s “First Dates” all season in anticipation of this Friday’s episode. I know two of the featured daters, and they happen to be in the very same episode (although not dating each other)! While I know the outcome of one date — no spoilers, don’t worry — I can’t wait to see how a real-life college friend and NYC friend make their television dating debut. Look out for Matt and Justine; I’m sure they won’t disappoint! Check out the preview here.
Images courtesy of: Me, Me, Meee, NBC
I’m back from a fabulous girls’ trip in Texas, and despite an amazing time away, I returned with unwanted souvenirs… I woke up in our AirBnb Sunday morning covered with welts that I feared to be bed bug bites.
A lot of Benadryl, bug sprays, laundry and itching later, and I’m finally seeing some of the bumps go away — not the ones on my face, of course. As you can imagine, it’ll be a long time before I trust AirBnb’s services again. In any event, here are four things that have helped keep me in good spirits:
- San Antonio River Walk: We walked all along this beautiful part of town, enjoying a plethora of food and drink options, plus a relaxing riverboat tour. We experienced a few bee swarms (I’m clearly a magnet for insects), but luckily, no one was stung. The weather was perfect, and I’d definitely recommend exploring if you’re ever in San Antonio.
- Austin’s Driskill Hotel: There were tons of places we were told to see in Austin, too, but the Driskill Hotel took my breath away. Stunning architecture, true Texan decor and delicious specialty cocktails made for an enchanting evening overall. Plus, I hear it’s haunted 😀
- Warriors Making History: The Bay Area is electric with the hot-hot-hot Warriors and their run to become the winningest NBA team ever. Fingers crossed they can take it to the house tonight and make history happen. I can’t afford tickets anyway, but I’ll be watching from my couch with sweaty palms and a cold beer.
- Brothers Prank Sister with Zombie Apocalypse: What good is having your sibling on post-op Novocain if you can’t capture their reactions on YouTube? The three Phillips brothers took advantage of their sister’s wisdom tooth surgery and pulled off a ridiculous zombie apocalypse prank. It’s no wonder the viral video has more than 9 million views.
Also, this is my 250th Weekly Obsessions post! I can’t quite believe it’s been such a long-running tradition, but I thank each of you who continues to read every week. Xoxo 🙂