WO: Weekly Obsessions 288
2017 is kicking my butt so far, and not in a good way. I’ve been down for the count for most of it, thanks to a gnarly sinus infection I should have seen coming. I wouldn’t dare list Benadryl, nasal spray and countless naps in this week’s obsessions, so here’s about all I can muster:
- Mariah Carey: The diva to end all divas certainly rung in the New Year with a memorable performance on live TV. While countless performances are backed with audio tracks — especially in a place as raucous as Times Square on NYE — I just loved Mariah’s “f— it” attitude and her closing remark: “It just doesn’t get any better.” Considering she carries a tune better than most of the world, I gotta give it to her for embracing the disaster with a sense of humor.
- Being Cinderella on NYE: OK, so I didn’t realize it was a full-blown sinus infection that had me barely keeping my eyes open at midnight. All I knew was, I didn’t want to be stuck paying $60 to get the 2 miles home to my apartment from a friend’s party. And you know what? Being Cinderella paid off. I requested an Uber at 12:01am, was home by 12:25am and paid just $12. No glass slippers required.
- “Moana”: My mom, sister-in-law and I took my toddler niece to see this latest Disney hit (for her second showing), and it was great fun for the kids and adults alike. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the perfectly modest Maui — ha!— and newcomer Auli’i Cravalho makes a shining debut as the titular princess. The soundtrack isn’t half bad either, thanks to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s continued creative genius.
- “How Far I’ll Go” – Moana: Speaking of, this song has been stuck in my head since we saw the movie almost two weeks ago. If that doesn’t scream “earworm,” I don’t know what does. I promise it’s not the cold medicine that makes it so catchy. Go on, have a listen. Then, listen to Alessia Cara’s full version. And as Maui would humbly say, “You’re welcome.”
The week ahead will be nothing short of exciting: I go back to Florida on Friday to celebrate my cousin’s engagement and, later, my 10-year high school reunion. Crazy to think how fast time flies — but I couldn’t be more excited to see family and longtime friends. Till then, here’s what’s really got me going 😉
- Plank: This Oakland hotspot is basically an adult version of Chuck E. Cheese, which was perfect for my company’s summer outing last week. We played arcade games and life-size Jenga, enjoyed tasty tacos and drinks, and even had a flipbook photo booth!
- “Minions”: Some friends who love these little yellow guys coordinated movie night for us, and I have to admit, it was an adorable affair. I still don’t quite believe Sandra Bullock as a villain, but stranger things have happened. I highly recommend going to a 21+ showing to avoid the kiddo crowd.
- Ladies & Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning: This detailed account of New York City life in 1977 was high on my to-read list, and I finally dedicated enough time to get through it. From the iconic Reggie Jackson to the historic Koch v. Cuomo campaign, the book is brimming with fascinating facts and figures.
- “You Really Got Me” – The Kinks: Since “Minions” was set in the ‘60s, it’s only fitting that the soundtrack be full of revived rock ‘n roll. One of my personal faves, forever and always, is this sticky-sweet jam. Rock on \m/
It starts with JAY-FREAKING-Z.
Put it on, and just try and tell me you don’t love it.