I’ve heard this is San Francisco’s rainiest month, but we got exactly 0.0” of rain last January — so imagine my surprise with seemingly nonstop showers! Aside from giving me an excuse to use my umbrella, trench coats and wellies, I’m kind of over it. Today’s brief relief is a tease… we’re set to receive another round of rain tonight. All this to say: It’s a good thing my dad wasn’t actually a meteorologist.
- A Sun Basket Soup: Is there any better rainy-day meal than soup? I submit there is not. A co-worker brought this soup in yesterday, so I decided to recreate it at home. (I modified by using frozen meatless meatballs instead of ground turkey, and kale instead of escarole.) I’ve got at least three servings of leftovers and it was the perfect comfort food during last night’s torrential downpour. Ps, I still love Blue Apron! Can’t we all just get along?
- theSkimm: I’m suuuper late to the game here, but I’ve enjoyed this for the past few months and am finally ready to share. In a world full of fake news, plus more information than ever to digest, theSkimm makes it so easy to stay informed. Get bite-size hits of news in an easy-to-digest weekday email. Food analogies aside, use my referral link to sign up yourself. I promise, it’ll make your mornings simply smarter.
- Jawbone Jambox: Shameless plug alert! I know it’s hard to reach a point in Netflix bingeing where you have to step away, but cabin fever will do that to you. Enter the Jawbone Jambox, a cute lil’ wireless speaker that connects to Bluetooth and more. I’ve found myself turning off the TV and working seamlessly through endless playlists, coming in crystal clear. Bonus: The black and gold design is oh so chic.
- “Call on Me” – Starley: Currently blasting from said Jambox is this incredibly catchy tune — the video for which is just as uplifting. I don’t know if it’s her beautiful voice, bright smile, brag-worthy hair or the hypnotic beat, but I can’t seem to stop putting it on repeat. I have no doubt this debut is set to go far, and be the start of Starley’s illustrious music career.
Was last week a whirlwind for you all, too? Even with Thursday off from work, I can’t quite believe how fast Thanksgiving came and went. Oh, and it’s December. Where does the time ever go?
- “The Talented Mr. Ripley”: Speaking of time, step back to the 1950s (or 1999, because that’s how far behind I am) and soak up this thrilling tale of deception and lust. The book was better — yes, I’m an asshole — but the movie is pretty damn good.
- Ryan Gosling Hosts SNL: If time continues to move at warp speed, then Christmas come early indeed. My love for The Gos has become a parody at the office, but my excitement for Saturday is fully genuine. Here’s hoping there’s at least one shirtless sketch!
- “California Christmastime” – “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”: This CW show continues to surprise me week after week, and this finale number from Monday’s episode was another showstopper. It’s a little more referential to SoCal than San Francisco, but all Californians alike are finding ourselves.
- Spiced Pork, Squash & White Bean Soup: I’ve obsessed over Blue Apron for most of this year, and there are often recipes I’d repeat again. But never have I felt so compelled to share — this soup not only made about five servings, but it was so easy to make (once you hack through the squash)! Enjoy 🙂