I’m normally not the “prayer warrior” type who solicits good vibes from my social networks, but I had to today as my good friend endured her bilateral mastectomy to eradicate cancer. Ever the good sport, she named her cancer “Felicia” so she could say BYE to it 😂 Here’s what else I’m focused on lately:
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Salmon: In an effort to simplify my weekly meal prep, I’ve read countless lists of one-pot and sheet-pan meals. I was pumped to try this recipe Monday night and it didn’t disappoint: The marinade flavor has only gotten more pronounced with each serving of leftovers, and I’ll definitely be using this in my regular rotation. Delish!
- Sugarhill Kitchen: After yesterday’s lockout snafu, I needed an hour to kill while my landlord brought me their keys. I’ve passed this restaurant approximately a thousand times but hadn’t ventured in before. The owner/chef/bartender, Jennie, was so hospitable and welcoming — even offering a (free!) second glass of wine to heal my headache. I had other dinner plans to get to after, but I’ll return soon to enjoy all Sugarhill Kitchen has to offer!
- Bar Method: Not a day goes by without discussing different workout routines to try. Part of it is literally my job. Part of it is living in an active city like SF. All of me was excited to try Bar Method during its “Love Your Selfie” challenge, which grants unlimited access to newcomers for 40 days — and just $49! I’m two days in and can already feel the benefits of small, yet calculated, movements. Plus, who doesn’t want to feel longer and leaner? I might be a barre addict after all.
- “Doo Wop (That Thing)” – Ms. Lauryn Hill: I’ve enjoyed Spotify’s Black History Salute playlist, with tracks ranging from Marvin Gaye to Wanda Sykes and many more. The unequivocal fave, for me? None other than Ms. Lauryn Hill’s “Doo Wop (That Thing).” It’s in my top five for lyrics – don’t be a hard rock when you really are a gem — and it always brings a smile to my face.
This one’s for the ladies! Side note: Every time I say that, I think of Tina Fey’s scene in “Baby Mama” where she gets on the turntables and plays “Lady in Red” at a Manhattan nightclub.
OK, back to business:
- International Women’s Day: Yesterday’s worldwide celebration of women was, simply put, awesome. Whether you shared inspirational quotes, sentimental stories or simply a smile to the ladies in your life, I hope you had a lovely day 🙂
- Saraswati’s Hijab Transformations: Talk about talent — this Malaysian makeup artist uses her hijab and makeup to transform into pop culture icons, from Disney personalities to comic book characters. Check out more of her work on Instagram @queenofluna.
- Ipsy: My brother and sister-in-law gifted me this beauty bag subscription service for Christmas, and “obsessed” is an understatement. The bags are super cute and reusable, and I’ve already fallen for a few of the products. It’s better than Birchbox, in my humble opinion.
- Spotify’s Women in Music & Culture Playlists: My fave music service also got in on the International Women’s Day festivities. Spotify released 15 playlists from various genres, highlighting decades of iconic females. I’m really digging the Women of Pop and Women of Country compilations… what about you?
I would love to have a good reason for not writing anything besides WOs lately, but the truth is: I’ve just been a social butterfly! Between crazy work hours and crazy happy hours … I’m just too popular. The struggle is real.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: As I mentioned last year, my family is full of educators. I wouldn’t be half of who I am without so many influential teachers, and I appreciate their never-ending reminders that summer is just a few weeks away. Right.
- Nurse Appreciation Week: My other female family members are nurses (or teach nursing), so this one goes out to those gals! They’ve got just as many ridiculous work stories to share but manage to save lives every day. Color me impressed.
- Margarita Appreciation Week: I may or may not have made this one up. But with Cinco de Drinko (and a rough Seis de Mayo), I think it’s only fair we celebrate the salted siren.
- “Mood Booster” on Spotify: My fabulous friend, J. Pep, introduced me to this wonderful playlist that got me through a particularly challenging workday. The mix of oldies and goodies is sure to bring a smile to your lovely face.
Cheers, peeps! And spread the love around 🙂
I survived our cruise (barely) and am officially back to reality, as deadlines pile up and my car’s constant issues create a bigger dent in my bank account. So, here’s what I’m using to keep the hump-day ho-hums away.
saltedchocolate: I have to give some blog love and a big birthday shout-out to my dear frand, Rachel. She’s off for the rest of the week to have fun in the sun, while the rest of us schmucks are stuck at the office. Enjoy every minute of it, Soul Sister. You deserve it!
My Nieces: Brother and his fiancée are the proud parents of two adorable little girls, Bailey and Chloe. I’ll be watching them this weekend, and I know they’re excited for a fun-filled adventure with Aunt Amanda. At just 3 and 1, respectively, they’re the cutest kids I know. [End crazy talk.]
Spotify: I’m late getting on board with this music software, because I’m always hesitant to try the latest tech trend. But, after I left my iPod at home during a weekend workday, a co-worker enlightened me to this free service and I haven’t looked back. My fave feature is using the Inbox to share songs. Stellar.
“Bridesmaids” on DVD: If you haven’t seen this movie yet, go ahead … I’ll wait here. While I love a good comedy, Kristen Wiig and crew take laughs to another level in what’s been dubbed the female version of “The Hangover.” The special features and deleted scenes are worth the spend alone. Seriously, watch it now.
True story: “Hold On” just came on in my Spotify … it’s destiny, due to my love of “Bridesmaids.” Here’s to getting through another week of crazy!