Better late than never, right? I’m nothing if not great on a deadline, so let’s get right to it.
- Dad’s Birthday: I’ve learned in the last 4.5 years without my dad that the milestones and anniversaries don’t get any easier. Instead, they become this new normal you adjust to, and you find ways to get some semblance of peace among the pain. I raised a few glasses to Slick Rick last night, on what would have been his 68th birthday. Cheers and 143 always, Dad.
- St. Paddy’s Day: In true Irish form, we mourn a loss the same way we celebrate. This year, I’ll be at a wedding, but I have no doubt it’ll be a holiday to remember. It doesn’t matter how old I get, I still love spending St. Paddy’s with good friends, good music and good beer. Slainte!
- Minneapolis: The wedding I’m attending is in the fair metropolis of Minneapolis, which I’m excited to explore for the very first time. The weather forecast isn’t ideal, but there are tons of breweries and local (inside!) hot spots to hit. If nothing else, this giant cherry and spoon sculpture is bound to give me some fascinating photos.
- “Meet Me in the Middle” – Zedd, Maren Morris + Grey: This earworm has been in my head nonstop for a few weeks now. If you recognize it from the Target commercials, you can blame them instead of me. (Fun fact: Target’s HQ is in Minneapolis!) Maren Morris’s voice is killer, and the hook gets me every damn time. I’m losing my mind just a little… if that doesn’t sum it all up, I don’t know what does.
Is Daylight Saving Time kicking anyone else’s butt? I love how long it’s light out at night — don’t get me wrong. But every morning this week, I’ve woken up to my alarm in disbelief at the time. Le sigh. Here’s what’s getting me through:
- “The Bachelor” Finale: I managed to stay off social media for 24 hours to avoid spoilers and watched the season finale with a friend last night. I’m not happy with Ben’s choice, but I’m glad that it allowed his runner-up to be the next Bachelorette! I’ll be tuning in when it premieres this May.
- Cocktails for Candidates: I’m pretty sure everyone could use a nice, stiff drink with the circus that is this year’s Presidential election. Lucky for us, a bar in Austin has just the fix: candidate-themed cocktails. Cheers to The Townsend for this creative twist on political parties.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Get your green gear ready for tomorrow’s annual ode to the Irish. Whether you’re downing pints of Guinness or keeping it low-key with whisky 😉 , here’s hoping you have a safe and happy celebration.
- “Cake by the Ocean” – DNCE: I can’t seem to get away from this earworm, so I might as well embrace it. The high-pitched vocals don’t pain me as much as Adam Levine’s “singing,” and the hook will get your body moving. Now, what exactly does it all mean?
If you’re anything like me, then you know how to put the PRO in “procrastination.” What better time to get some St. Patty’s inspiration than the day before? I’m killing it.
I’m proud of my Irish heritage and had the pleasure of studying abroad in Ireland a few years ago. My time in the Emerald Isle was magical, so anything I can do to recreate it is pure luck of the Irish.
Start the day with traditional Irish boxty — a fave of mine from my time abroad.
No St. Patrick’s Day dinner is complete without corned beef and cabbage.
Beer, chocolate and pretzels? These cupcakes must be heaven-sent.
Guinness is my drink of choice, but I’ll have to switch to something lighter after my 8th pint.
If beer isn’t your thing, try one of these tasty St. Patty’s cocktails.
End the night with an always-delicious classic Irish coffee. Yum!
Stock up on awesomely tacky glasses, moustaches, necklaces and more.
Whether you’re hosting — or just toasting — your mates, these favors are adorbs.
Stainless coasters class up even the dingiest pubs.
Kissing a leprechaun in Dublin — typical Saturday.
Surprise! Popping up for St. Patrick’s Day greetings.
Overlooking the Cliffs of Moher (700 ft. drop, NBD).
Between a ladies’ dance party tonight, suite tickets to tomorrow’s Lightning game and my bestie from college visiting this weekend, I think it’s best that St. Patrick’s Day only comes once a year.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend — cheers!