I’m happy to report that after two weeks in two states, six airports, three Publix subs, countless giggles with my nieces and loved ones — and a patridge in a pear tree — I’m back in SF. To say I’m exhausted is an understatement. But, I’m fortunate to have the week off from work to recover and reenergize.
- A Starbucks Iced Chai: First things first, I’ve needed constant caffeine to keep up with my friends, family and the crazy-fun kiddos. Whether hitting the Epcot spot during an 18,000-step day or the drive-thru (twice) during a shopping marathon, the iced chai with almond milk is just what I need. Side note: Oprah’s Cinnamon Chai was my jam, but they’ve since discontinued it. How dare you fail me, girl?
- Exercise!: As counterintuitive as it sounds — and believe me, it’s taken years for me to believe it — getting more activity helps rejuvenate you when weary. Remember the wise words of Elle Woods? “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy! Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t!” I’m not quite ready to run this week, but some morning walks (and last week’s Epcot trip) have lifted my spirits.
- RIP Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds: I’m nowhere near a “Star Wars” fan, but I can certainly sympathize over yesterday’s loss of Carrie Fisher. Adding to the tragedy, her mother, Debbie Reynolds, died today. And while I don’t think a broken heart can be claimed as the official reason for death, I can only imagine the pain a mother feels losing their child, and how devastated their entire family must be.
- And, George Michael: Adding to the “2016 is the worst” movement, musician and AIDS activist George Michael was found dead in his home on Christmas. Between his iconic hits and outlandish appearances, he was an all-out entertainer who knew how to put on unforgettable performances.
11/11: Make a wish! Or, you could consider one of these more productive ideas 😉
- Veterans’ Day: I say it every year, but today is just one opportunity of many to thank the servicemen and women who sacrifice it all to serve our country. I’m fortunate to know many active and retired military members, whom I can’t thank enough. I won’t get on a soapbox, but the freedoms we’re fortunate enough to enjoy come at a hefty cost — so JUST DO IT.
- Coffee Cups Cause Commotion: Surely, we have better things to do with our time than debate a coffee cup and its “hidden meaning.” I’m a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas because of Christ — not because of a billion-dollar company’s alleged agenda to take down Jesus. Unfortunately, it’s another example of a few bad apples (or pumpkin spices?) spoiling the bunch.
- Blue Apron Donates Thanksgiving Dinner: It’s no secret I love Blue Apron for its (literally) life-changing service, but here’s another reason to obsess. Now, you can donate your Thanksgiving box of food OR an additional box (and still receive your own). Either way, Blue Apron will match all donations to help feed local families in need! You can donate now until noon ET on November 20.
- “Hotline Bling” Parody – SNL: Last week’s SNL episode, hosted by Donald Trump, left much to be desired… until this ridiculously silly parody popped up. I’m still laughing so hard, I cry — not sure if that says more about the video or me. Either way, enjoy!
So, um. I move to San Fran in TEN DAYS. To say I’m ready would be a flat-out lie, so let’s just keep on procrastinating with these four finds:
- FALL.: That’s right, white girls can officially rejoice in a few days because the weather is changing and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back! I’m personally just excited to sweat a little bit less … call me crazy.
- New York Fashion Week: With the emergence of fall also comes NYFW — a shining, glittering beacon for all the aspiring Miranda Priestlys of the world. I’m not super in-tune with the trends, but this color palette has me admittedly giddy.
- Van Diemens: I can’t believe I’ve never publicly obsessed over this bar … it’s been a steadfast go-to for a solid year! My alumni group hosts events here, and it’s also where my going-away party will be Saturday night 😥
- “Here I Go Again” – Audra Mae: I heard a snippet of this cover during a Bravo promo, and I am totally hooked. It’s raw and real, and I can’t get her voice outta my head.