I’m happy to report I made it safely back to SF, and even happier to report my four-day migraine has finally subsided. Is it possible my silent apartment was, in fact, deafening after eight days of nonstop fun with two nieces, two dogs and family galore?
- RIO 2016: If you know anything about me from 2012 and 2014, you know “obsessed” is an understatement for how I feel about the Olympics. The opening ceremonies in Rio are Friday, and I can’t quite wait to fill the DVR with gymnastics, beach volleyball, swimming, sailing and speedwalking.
- Local Olympians: It wouldn’t be fair to mention my love for the games without highlighting alumni of my high school and college Greek life, respectively. Ryan Lochte already has 11 Olympic swimming medals, so why not add some more to the collection — and with a new ‘do? And Paige Railey hopes to sail her way to victory in her second Olympic games. Good luck, FL friends!
- Cosmo + Tasha Tie the Knot: In non-Olympics news, a good friend from my Tampa days will marry the love of his life in Napa next week. The celebrations start Friday, though, so it’s a good a time as ever to wish them well. Cheers to all this next chapter will bring, you two — I can’t wait to celebrate!
- U.S. Men’s Basketball Sings Vanessa Carlton: Is there anything better than a bunch of grown men, who are professional basketball players, singing a sickly sweet pop song? I submit that there is not. Carmelo just isn’t having it, but the other guys seem to know a good thing when they hear it.
Clearly, I can’t get enough of the 2012 London Olympics. My sleep sched is totally off, I’m dreaming of Big Ben and I’m practicing pole vaulting like there’s no tomorrow. For the first time ever, I had a hard time stopping at four obsessions …
- An All-American Final: Kerry Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor face off in their final match together against Jen Kessy and April Ross in tonight’s Women’s Beach Volleyball final. Insert USA! chants here.
- Google: Everyone loves the doodles our favorite search engine brings, but they’ve really stepped it up for the games. Between steeplechase yesterday and basketball today, I am beat.
- Kirani James: Winning your country’s first Olympic medal is admirable enough. But even greater than that is James’s sportsmanship — not a dry eye in the house following his race with paraplegic runner Oscar Pistorious.
- “Home” by Phillip Phillips: Risking spoiler alerts and all, I managed to track down the song from NBC’s gymnastics promos. Terrible name for the kid? Sure. But hot damn, that tune is catchy.