It’s the longest day of the year today, and it sure does feel like it! Not that it’s a bad thing — I am quite amazed at how we’re already well into June and don’t mind a day off feeling a bit longer.
Why am I off, you ask? Well, my HS bestie is in town for a visit and we’re taking on San Francisco like never before. We have tickets to a comedy show, a comedy drag show, wine country and more… a jam-packed 72 hours is in our future.
She even brought a little southern sunshine with her, as our temps climb into the 80s and SF residents freak the F out over the heat. I’m not immune to freakouts myself — life without central A/C is no joke.
So although it’s been a few weeks of less-than-stellar obsessions, I promise to be back at it again like Damn, Daniel next Wednesday.
In the meantime, please enjoy…
As of this writing, my sister-in-law will be induced any minute to begin delivery of my second niece… and I can’t contain my excitement! It’s been absolutely incredible seeing my first niece grow and develop over the past two and a half years, and I know she’ll be an amazing big sister. Baby will likely arrive tomorrow, but I’m celebrating now anyway. We won’t quite be birthday twins, but she’ll always be a firecracker in my eyes.
Here’s what else I’m celebrating:
- Anchor Brewing: One of my work teams visited this brewery for a tour last week, and it didn’t disappoint. My fave so far is the Meyer Lemon Lager — perfect for a sultry summer day. Anchor also has a spectacular setup at AT&T Park’s neighbor, The Yard, where you can enjoy craft drafts alongside America’s favorite pastime.
- 4th of July: Speaking of ‘Merica, it’s only fitting that we start celebrating its birthday (and mine) early. The US of A is turning 240, after all. I’ll be camping in Tahoe with my boyfriend and a group of great friends, but no matter what you’re up to, keep it classy and stay safe!
- A Wireless Weekend: And now, speaking of Tahoe, I’m pretty pumped to go off the grid for a few days. My cell reception will be spotty, which is just what I need for a bit of rest and relaxation. As long as my niece arrives before then, I’m OK with missing birthday notifications on my actual birthday.
- Miley Cyrus – “Party in the USA”: I know, I hate me too. But what better way to get the people going than with such poetic prose as “Noddin’ my head like yeah / Movin’ my hips like yeah”? It’s cheesy and awful but the perfect party earworm for Lady Liberty (plus, a hefty payday for Jessie J).
Well friends, I’m visiting San Fran this weekend to find an apartment! I’m excited and anxious and hope to find something in a flash. It’ll all work out in the end, I know, but here’s what I’m focused on until my flight.
- Miracle Treat Day: Grab a treat from Dairy Queen this Thursday, and they’ll donate a portion of proceeds to cancer research. Helping others has never tasted so good.
- Hornblower Cruises: My office is having its summer outing this afternoon, aboard a mega yacht for more than a thousand people. Toot toot!
- Robin Williams: His death is heartbreaking, but not unheard of. The depression he suffered only magnifies how talented a performer he truly was. Rest in peace, Robin.
- “Dude Looks Like a Lady” – Aerosmith: Tough as it is to narrow down my favorite movie of his, “Mrs. Doubtfire” will always have my heart. The soundtrack alone was just perfect.
Since I’m officially a senior citizen and enjoy discussing the weather at great length, I thought you should know that my KNEECAPS were sweating yesterday. Sunshine is finally upon us in the city, and I couldn’t be happier to show up at work with soaked knees and a flushed face.
Lovely visuals, huh? Let’s get some nicer ones in your mind:
- “Game of Thrones”: I know, I know. I’m way behind on this one, because my stubborn inner voice said I’d never enjoy such an unbelievable show. Well, I’m hooked. Just seven episodes in, I plan to binge-watch all weekend.
- Warmer Weather: Isn’t it obvious? I can finally put away my sweaters and pants, and trade them for tank tops and flip-flops! My summer wardrobe is ON POINT (thanks to decades in Florida), so I’m sure my office is also thankful to see my oatmeal sweaters retire.
- 230 Fifth: The rooftop space of this swanky hotel and lounge was perfect for a summer concert. Their service wasn’t great, but the views and atmosphere more than made up for it.
- Platinum Album – Miranda Lambert: That summer concert I just attended? It was for the Queen of Country, whose latest album I’ve had on repeat since yesterday’s release. “Platinum,” “Priscilla” and “Somethin’ Bad” are my top tunes so far.
The best part of a long weekend? Um, it’s a long weekend.
The worst part of a long weekend? It takes the rest of the week to figure out what day it actually is.
I’m 80% certain it’s Wednesday, so here you go, faithful followers:
- Treasure Island: A few days of sand and surf were more than enough to send me straight to relaxation station. You have to check out this idyllic vacation spot the next time you’re in Florida — I know I will!
- Allison’s Baptism: My niece, AKA the cutest child alive, was baptized this weekend and I’m honored to be her Godmother. Just look at that smile! She’s obviously perfect. And trouble.
- The Fault in Our Stars: This book deserves its own post, because I devoured it in less than 24 hours and felt all the feels. The movie looks interesting, too … even if I don’t like Shailene Whatsherface.
- “Not a Bad Thing” – Justin Timberlake: Well, JT does it again. I’ve learned that an earworm stuck in our heads for days is just his MO. The video is also great, because, you know, Jusssstin.
The sun finally decided to show for longer than three hours this week, which can only mean one thing: Summer is (basically) here! No more jackets, no more tights, no more PANTS. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Summer Fridays: I couldn’t be more thrilled my office participates in this new-to-me tradition. Starting this week, we can leave each Friday afternoon to get the weekend going early. HALLELUYER!
- “Girl Code”: My roommate introduced me to this super funny female version of MTV’s “Guy Code.” Topics covered include: girls’ night out, the gyno, working out and so much more. New episodes air Tuesdays at 930 and 1030 p.m. EST.
- Memorial Day: This weekend is extra-long thanks to Monday’s observance of those who’ve sacrificed their lives in the line of duty. I’d like to say I’m doing something meaningful, but I’ll probably just be raising a glass from a rooftop party.
- “Cruel Summer” – Ace of Base: The ol’ iPod shuffled this to the top of my playlist this week, so I’ve naturally put it on repeat each day. I prefer it to the Bananarama version, but I’ll give you two scoops just for being here.