I’m slightly less cranky this week, even though I had a near meltdown at lunch today when the only non-salad, milk-free option was gone. I’m counting down until Whole30 is done and can’t wait to share my results with you! I promise, it’s been worth it — even if I do cry over spilled soup.
- Nels Beauty Salon: Have you ever wanted to step inside Hello Kitty’s house or Barbie’s salon? Nels is about as close as you can get in San Francisco, and I had no idea. My friend had a Groupon for a gel manicure, so I made an appointment for myself. From the decor to the brushes and hot-stone elements, it was easily one of the best manicures I’ve ever had.
- Izakaya Kou: Another gem I recently discovered was this Japanese restaurant with a cozy, yet upscale, vibe. I’ve been grateful for any sashimi and nagiri during Whole30, and their hamachi carpaccio did not disappoint either. Although a bit pricey, this is would be a great date spot or girls’ night out option. Cheers to that!
- Yoga for CFF: Tonight, I’m proud to support my good friend and her work with Tomorrow’s Leaders in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We’ll be attending a yoga class downtown, with all proceeds benefiting the CFF. While I’m not closely connected to anyone fighting this disease, I couldn’t be more touched by what my friend does in honor of her strong sister.
- Gasparilla Invades SF: It’s that time of year again! Tampa Bay’s finest tradition comes to this Bay Area via my self-imposed celebration. The Buccaneer staff won’t know what hit ‘em, even with this being the third(? fourth?) year in a row. I’ve got the beads, temporary tattoos, bandanas and beads in tow — ARRRRGH ya ready?
Back to routines and reality, I keep waiting for the eventual slap in the face January usually brings. It hasn’t happened yet, making me even more paranoid, but could it be? A New Year’s resolution that sticks? A lasting positive outlook? Only time will tell.
- SAP Center: I hadn’t been to this venue until last Saturday’s Sharks-Lightning NHL game, but color me impressed. From the streamlined security process to massive restrooms (crucial for 20-minute breaks) and pleasant parking attendants, it was a near-perfect night. If only the Lightning had won!
- Akira: This sushi spot is a local fave worth reserving a table for. Even without being able to have rice or soy sauce, I gobbled down the grilled octopus, yellowfin nagiri and cucumber roll with delight. A spa-like restroom completes the whole lovely ambiance.
- Hydro Flask: You may have noticed my restroom references, and I have this little guy to
blamethank. My former team gifted the mint 16 oz. to me and I’m really enjoying the flip top versus my S’Well’s screw-off cap. It makes getting my 100 daily oz. a literal snap!
- “thank u, next” – Ariana Grande: I can’t hold out on this grammatical travesty any more — this record-breaking bop is here to stay longer than you can say “I really don’t endorse anything but forgiveness and positivity.” The video is iconic, the chorus is catchy and it’s no wonder why we’ll hear it for a long time to come.
I’m generally not one to brag, but I have to say: My weekend was just plain awesome. It feels like I’m hitting my stride in my new city, and I couldn’t be happier with the experiences and memories I’m gaining.
- All You Can Eat Sushi + Sake @ Chinatown East – sushi was delicious, but the unlimited sake bombs reeeally got the night going
- One and One – a new favorite spot, it’s chill upstairs and a thumping club downstairs
- Dancing at Pianos – worth the $5 cover to go upstairs for better music and quicker service
- We hit another bar after that, but I don’t remember the name (sign of a good time)
Saturday: Low-Key Lounging
- Slept in for the first time in weeks and accomplished nothing – oddly OK with this
- Wharf in Murray Hill – visited our friend who works there for pre-gaming
- Brooklyn house party – celebrated friends who graduated from hair school, law school, design school and another who passed the NY State Bar
Sunday: Fun-Filled Finale
- Boozy brunch at The Guilty Goose in Chelsea – very strong mimosas alongside eggs benedict with a jalapeño hollandaise
- Stopped in to see Heroes & Villains at FIT – fascinating facts featured in fun and interesting exhibits
- Made our way home to watch SNL – Kristen Wiig’s return to the stage at 30 Rock did not disappoint
- Phone date with Magz – because she should be celebrated every day for what she put up with from us
Though it went by way too quickly, I had an absolute blast throughout this weekend. I can’t wait to enjoy more of this improved weather and share my finds with you guys. Cheers!