A million thanks to all y’all who reached out and were thinking of me this past week. I can never express enough how much it means to me to have you in my corner.
- The Bachelorette: Yes, I’m still a fan despite how petty the boys are from Hannah B.’s season. I’ve never seen any main player on this franchise who is so open about their faith, frustration and fun-loving side. Her narration of (fake) Boston history remains legendary. Is it the most dramatic season ever? Unclear. But damn, I’ll keep watching.
- Saje Natural Wellness: I previously gushed about the diffuser my roomies got me for my birthday last year, so it’s no surprise I’ve since fallen for approximately 20 of Saje’s oils as well. Headache? Peppermint Halo. Stuffy? Inhale. Sultry? Tantra. There’s an oil for everything! Between this and Pine & Patchouli, I’m one happy (non-smelly) camper.
- “ME!” – Taylor Swift f. Brendon Urie: Somehow, I managed to miss featuring this earworm, and TayTay already has a new one out (hold your horses). The bubble-gum, rainbow, magical video set is one thing. Her voice mixed with Brendon Urie’s is another level altogether. Yes, she overacts. Yes, the lyrics are kinda cheesy. But don’t act like you haven’t had this on repeat for months.
- “You Need to Calm Down” – Taylor Swift: In time for Pride, TSwift’s lyrical genius returns with another banger and too many celeb cameos to count. The ultimate message: Support the Equality Act on Change.org. Next week marks 50 years since the Stonewall Inn riots inspired the modern LGBTQ+ movement, and we still have strides to make. There is a complicated debate around her privilege, but I still believe any attention to a worthy cause is better than ignoring or suppressing the spotlight.
I’m fighting off a nasty summer cold this week, so here’s what’s helping my get by:
- “Meaty”: This collection of essays from Samantha Irby was originally published in 2013 and recently updated with a reprint. A thoughtful friend and her bf gifted me a new copy for my bday, and I speed-read it in two sittings. It’s that good. From lazy-girl recipes to a loooot of information about GI issues, it’s not for the faint of heart. Which is exactly why I loved it.
- Cacio e Pepe: What’s arguably the simplest pasta dish has become a weekly staple for me. When my energy is gone, this satisfying combo of pasta, cheese and garlic (duh) can’t be beat. It’s an especially gratifying comfort food when you don’t have to hover over the stove for long. Add some garlic toast and you’ve got the perfect meal. Mangia!
- Breathe App: Don’t get me wrong — I still love my Daily Calm from the Calm app, but this is another way to get zen. Answer a few quick questions about how you’re feeling in the moment, and the app will recommend breathing exercises and plans for you to try. It’s weirdly satisfying and has lately helped me get to sleep faster. Win-win.
- “Delicate” – Taylor Swift: Is it possible for Taylor Swift to release a song that isn’t an earworm? I think not. This one has been rolling around in my brain for weeks and I can’t seem to shake it off. Yeah, I went there. I’m not even mad about it; I just had to warn you before I put it in your head now, too.
In case it wasn’t clear from me posting this late in the day, it’s been another wild week. I’m extremely excited for the long weekend ahead, particularly because I don’t have a whole lot planned. It’s my first unscheduled weekend since April, so I’m pretty pumped. Here’s what else is on my mind:
- Help for Harvey Victims: The largest storm to hit Texas in more than 50 years continues to wreak havoc, devastating thousands of homes and displacing countless residents. As always, I urge you to donate anything you can to help the victims affected — particularly because Harvey’s on his way to Louisiana next. No matter which causes you care about, I think we can all agree this is one worth giving to.
- A USF Weekend: My good ol’ alma mater kicked off the college football season against San Jose State this past Saturday, and I had an absolute blast with about a hundred others at the tailgate and game. Bonus: We came back for a win, 42-22! Then on Sunday, we went wine tasting with a new friend, who we met while volunteering the weekend prior, and who happens to work for USF. Small world. Go Bulls!
- Wattle Creek Winery: That wine tasting I mentioned? Wouldn’t you know, it was right in SF’s own Ghirardelli Square. I generally avoid that tourist trap like the plague, but when I learned our new friend is a member — and I am too, via a sister winery — I just had to try their Sunday Funday promo. And, a Ghirardelli sundae after a few glasses of wine doesn’t hurt either.
- “Look What You Made Me Do” – Taylor Swift: Uh, duh. Seems like you can’t go more than an hour since its release Friday without hearing it, or uncovering all of the hidden meanings, or seeing all of the records it’s breaking. As for me? I’m guilty, guilty, guilty on all accounts. I don’t love every single lyric of this one, but damn, Taylor does it best when she’s pissed.
I’ve gone pretty much nonstop since last week, even writing this in between happy hours and other social outings. I’m not complaining, although my marathon of watching Olympics coverage has slowed down considerably.
And, as a sure sign that I’m officially 29, I was just “laying down for a nap” last Friday before this Rave of Thrones event, only to wake up hours later after missing the whole thing.
- Britney/Taylor Mashup Night: I made up for lost time Saturday night with my first-ever visit to famed SF nightclub Bootie, because why else? It was Britney/Taylor Mashup Night! I expected a little more of “Bad Blood… One More Time,” but was truly amazed at the DJs’ abilities to mix Eminem, Black Sabbath and more with the queens of pop.
- Red Dog: Another day, another happy hour. This SOMA bar was the second stop on a night where I said farewell to both current co-workers and former colleagues who were leaving their respective companies. Red Dog was a perfect setting — friendly staff, delicious food and strong drinks.
- Barry’s Boot Camp: In case it wasn’t completely clear, I’m in need of a detox more than anything. Since that’s unlikely to ever happen, I’ve instead taken advantage of promotions through work to try “The Best Workout in the World.” It’s kicked my ass, motivated me and been, truly, one of the best group fitness classes I’ve ever tried. Best of all, the friends I made go with me are still speaking to me.
- Jessica’s “Daily Affirmation”: This toddler’s uplifting pep talk went viral a few years ago, but has recently made a resurgence and I’m not mad about it. Whether it’s your hair or your pajamas or your whole house, I hope you too have things you like and believe you can do anything good!
- “Ghostbusters: Answer the Call”: I can’t remember a movie that had me laughing for nearly the entire time, but this reboot has four fantastic leading ladies, a bunch of throwback references and some awesome eye candy. That’s what I call a winning combo.
- A Visit Back East: It’s only been six months since I was last in Florida, but so much has changed in that time and I can’t wait to get there this weekend. If I spend the entire time squishing my niece’s cheeks and watching “Zootopia” with my other niece, then I think I’ll be just fine.
- “The Night Of”: I did not need another show to watch. Really, I didn’t. But a co-worker and another friend each told me how much I needed to see this one, and I caved. I’m glad I did… the premiere left me breathless from start to finish, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of this miniseries unfolds.
- “This Is What You Came For” – Calvin Harris f. Rihanna: I honestly could not care less about the drama surrounding Taylor’s songwriting contributions (or not) to this song. And I really, really didn’t want to like it, because, Rihanna. But damn, it’s an earworm. And despite my distaste for most EDM, this one really gets me pumped.
So, today marks 10 years since my high school graduation. And I happened to wake up today to find my first-ever grandma chin hair. This world is so cruel. Here’s what is keeping me pleasantly distracted from reality:
- Memorial Day: Monday’s federal holiday has a lot more to do with service and sacrifice than barbecues and beach days, but teaching that to America’s youths is unlikely. Instead, I think it’s realistic to just take a few minutes Monday (and every day?) to remember the men and women who gave all to protect our freedoms.
- SUMMER FRIDAYS: Sweet, glorious half-days have returned to my office, from this week till Labor Day. There’s no better way to celebrate our teams making it through nearly five months of nonstop work. Hallelujah!
- “Mad Men” Finale: For seven seasons, we’ve followed the movers and shakers of Sterling, Cooper & Partners (and all its variations). Don Draper and crew bade us farewell with Sunday’s finale, and while I have mixed emotions about the ending, I will always have love for the menaces of Madison Ave.
- “Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift: You heard me. Combine a badass video (23MM+ views!) that features a bunch of cool celebs with an awesome beat and smooth lyrics, and I’m officially a T. Swift fan. Lord help us all.