A week back in NYC turned out to be the best way to celebrate Thanksgiving. From time with family and friends to perfect parade weather, it was an experience I won’t soon forget. It’s true what they say: New York City is the best place in the world when you don’t live there. Who’s they, you ask? Idk. But they say it.
- Touring Bridgeport: After the parade, I ventured out of the city to my great aunt’s home in Connecticut. She took me on an incredible tour down memory lane: I saw the homes where my mom and grandpa grew up; the church my grandparents were married in; the college my grandpa and some of his brothers attended; the street named after my great-grandfather and much more. My heart is still so full from our special time shared.
- UCB East: After returning to the city Saturday, I went to a 3-on-3 improv tournament at UCB East to support my hilarious friend Chrissie and her talented group, Mannequin Room. They had a killer semis performance and advanced to the final show, where they placed 2nd. I’d never been to a show with this sort of setup, and it didn’t disappoint. There was a group who specialized in spontaneous song and another who somehow made infant mortality rates funny… yeah, just think about that.
- “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”: I was super smart to do the math and figure out how far in advance free tickets go up for our fave talk show. All humble bragging aside, I’m so glad we were able to attend Monday’s taping! We laughed endlessly and enjoyed seeing guests John Goodman, Alexis Bledel and David Gray. Jimmy even did a Q&A with the audience while David and his band set up, which was super nice. Dare I say, it was my favorite Tonight Show appearance yet!
- “Babylon” – David Gray: True to form, I’ve gotta get this earworm back into your brains. To celebrate his Tonight Show appearance and greatest hits album, here’s a reminder of his most popular song in the US. It’s been stuck in my head since Sunday, when we played it on repeat to get pumped for his performance. I have no doubt it’ll be stuck in yours soon enough, too.
As ready as I am for 2016 to be dunzo, it’s only fitting to take time this week to reflect on the things for which I’m grateful. Cliche? Absolutely. But essential to the healing process? You betcha.
- Wittyburg Is Six: True to form, I missed my sixth blogiversary last month. With more than 280 WO posts, plus more than 22,000 visits to this little site, you readers give me reason to keep going each week. I can’t say enough how much it means for me to have your support and enduring readership. Here’s to the next year, and beyond!
- Macy’s 90th Thanksgiving Day Parade: I’m super pumped to be back in NYC for another romp in this iconic Thanksgiving Day tradition. The early morning, long hours and chaos are more than worth it to see the smiling faces of thousands lined up for the parade. Look out for Sinclair Oil’s green dinosaur balloon — I’ll be doing my best to hold him down!
- Family Dinner: After the parade, I’ll head to Connecticut to spend time with extended family. My maternal grandpa died in 2014 and his sister, Mary, is his last living sibling. She’s got some of the best stories, and a huge heart, and she’s graciously opened her doors so I can celebrate with her clan. I can’t wait for the craziness to ensue!
- “Hymn for the Weekend” Coldplay f. Beyoncé: You read that right; I’m litchrlly recommending a Coldplay song for your eardrums. Oh, and Queen Bey gets the “featuring” credit, which is potentially a first for her. What better way to celebrate an extra-long weekend — my first in about 10 years? — than with this soothing salute? Everyone enjoy.
I’m not complaining, but there are noticeably fewer 30 Days of Thanks posts in my social feeds this year. Is it no longer trendy? Do we have less to be publicly grateful for?
Whatever the case, I’m wishing each and every one of you a blessed Thanksgiving and hope you all have much to be thankful for.
Whether you’re fortunate enough to be with family or having your own Friendsgiving; whether you’re avoiding shopping at all costs or braving the Black Friday crowds for that ultimate deal; whether you’re a hardcore vegetarian or meat maniac, I hope you’re able to enjoy the holiday and time with people you love.
Until next time, here’s an all-too-true take on how Thanksgiving changes as you grow up.
Gobble till you wobble, y’all.
11/11: Make a wish! Or, you could consider one of these more productive ideas 😉
- Veterans’ Day: I say it every year, but today is just one opportunity of many to thank the servicemen and women who sacrifice it all to serve our country. I’m fortunate to know many active and retired military members, whom I can’t thank enough. I won’t get on a soapbox, but the freedoms we’re fortunate enough to enjoy come at a hefty cost — so JUST DO IT.
- Coffee Cups Cause Commotion: Surely, we have better things to do with our time than debate a coffee cup and its “hidden meaning.” I’m a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas because of Christ — not because of a billion-dollar company’s alleged agenda to take down Jesus. Unfortunately, it’s another example of a few bad apples (or pumpkin spices?) spoiling the bunch.
- Blue Apron Donates Thanksgiving Dinner: It’s no secret I love Blue Apron for its (literally) life-changing service, but here’s another reason to obsess. Now, you can donate your Thanksgiving box of food OR an additional box (and still receive your own). Either way, Blue Apron will match all donations to help feed local families in need! You can donate now until noon ET on November 20.
- “Hotline Bling” Parody – SNL: Last week’s SNL episode, hosted by Donald Trump, left much to be desired… until this ridiculously silly parody popped up. I’m still laughing so hard, I cry — not sure if that says more about the video or me. Either way, enjoy!
It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
It sure feels like the lead-up to Thanksgiving took forever and a day, but that could just be my FB stalker feed’s flood of “thankful” messages. Blech.
Turkey Day is finally just hours away, so here are the four things I’m appreciative of most. This week. Because nothing says “gratitude” like leggings and gluttony.
Hope your holiday is a happy one — and extra exciting if you’re celebrating Hanukkah, too!
- LOFT Knit Denim Leggings: I had my eye on these babies for a while and jumped at the chance to get them for 50% off during a flash sale. If it were socially acceptable to marry pieces of clothing, I would.
- Macy’s 87th Thanksgiving Day Parade: Despite crazy weather predictions, I am super pumped to partake as a balloon handler! Look for me with the Uncle Sam balloon — broadcast starts at 9 a.m. EST on NBC!
- Redbox Movies: In preparation for tomorrow’s pre-dawn wake-up, I’m looking forward to an evening of red wine and Redbox. Sometimes, staying in has its ultra-relaxing benefits.
- “Fat” – Weird Al Yankovic: Sorry, I just had to do it. What other song (I haven’t already used) perfectly portrays the excessive elation we all get from this holiday? Enjoy!
It’s Thanksgiving Eve, and I couldn’t be more excited for a long weekend to spend time with the family. Although Brother and Sister-in-Law are off enjoying their honeymoon, we’ll be raising a glass in their absence. And, I’ll raise four more to these lovelies:
- Oh Happy Day!: This party and lifestyle blog is simple, sweet and just a little bit off. There’s no shortage of inspiration, and the adorable DIYs remind me of my dear friend April (Hi, lady!).
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: The iconic Turkey Day tradition kicks off tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST, and I’m especially anxious to see Snoopy. OK, Garfield too. Bring on the balloons!
- essie + BaubleBar: What do you get when you combine awesome nail polish and three pieces of fabulous jewelry? This dangerous promotion – plus, get $10 off when you sign up for BaubleBar!
- “Thanksgiving Song”: I’ve heard it a hundred times, but it never gets old. Adam Sandler’s goofy Thanksgiving serenade is a must this time of year.
Gobble till you wobble, folks. And have a happy Thanksgiving holiday 🙂