It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
It sure feels like the lead-up to Thanksgiving took forever and a day, but that could just be my FB stalker feed’s flood of “thankful” messages. Blech.
Turkey Day is finally just hours away, so here are the four things I’m appreciative of most. This week. Because nothing says “gratitude” like leggings and gluttony.
Hope your holiday is a happy one — and extra exciting if you’re celebrating Hanukkah, too!
- LOFT Knit Denim Leggings: I had my eye on these babies for a while and jumped at the chance to get them for 50% off during a flash sale. If it were socially acceptable to marry pieces of clothing, I would.
- Macy’s 87th Thanksgiving Day Parade: Despite crazy weather predictions, I am super pumped to partake as a balloon handler! Look for me with the Uncle Sam balloon — broadcast starts at 9 a.m. EST on NBC!
- Redbox Movies: In preparation for tomorrow’s pre-dawn wake-up, I’m looking forward to an evening of red wine and Redbox. Sometimes, staying in has its ultra-relaxing benefits.
- “Fat” – Weird Al Yankovic: Sorry, I just had to do it. What other song (I haven’t already used) perfectly portrays the excessive elation we all get from this holiday? Enjoy!
It’s Thanksgiving Eve, and I couldn’t be more excited for a long weekend to spend time with the family. Although Brother and Sister-in-Law are off enjoying their honeymoon, we’ll be raising a glass in their absence. And, I’ll raise four more to these lovelies:
- Oh Happy Day!: This party and lifestyle blog is simple, sweet and just a little bit off. There’s no shortage of inspiration, and the adorable DIYs remind me of my dear friend April (Hi, lady!).
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: The iconic Turkey Day tradition kicks off tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST, and I’m especially anxious to see Snoopy. OK, Garfield too. Bring on the balloons!
- essie + BaubleBar: What do you get when you combine awesome nail polish and three pieces of fabulous jewelry? This dangerous promotion – plus, get $10 off when you sign up for BaubleBar!
- “Thanksgiving Song”: I’ve heard it a hundred times, but it never gets old. Adam Sandler’s goofy Thanksgiving serenade is a must this time of year.
Gobble till you wobble, folks. And have a happy Thanksgiving holiday 🙂
In case you haven’t heard, Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Wee! I’m especially grateful that I made it to Daytona in one piece, and I didn’t seem to forget anything this time … nothing short of a miracle for moi.
Here’s a Thanksgiving-inspired weekful of obsessions:
- By a Show of Hands: This site pits turkey hand art against one another to crown a champion … many thanks to my good frand who found it!
- Pumpkin Cream Cupcakes: I made these for last year’s feast, and they were a hit. They’re making a repeat appearance at this year’s table … color me dangerous.
- 85th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: We have this on in the background each Turkey Day, and anything that lasts 85 years deserves a special nod.
- Crapplebee’s: Brother and I are making a triumphant return to our local neighborhood grill tonight, officially making it a tradition. Lord, beer me strength.
Cheers to you and yours as you celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday. And, as always, keep it classy. (Applebee’s, anyone?)
As the holidays approach, there are plenty of stressors and to-do lists that keep us busy and bustling. Following suit from some friends who’ve done the same, I’ve taken a step back to reflect about what I’m thankful for this year.
I’m thankful for …
- The big G keeping me grounded and reminding me that some things are just out of our control.
- My mom, who is a constant source of support and strength. I’d be lost without her.
- My dad, who has taught me how to overcome life’s obstacles and curveballs with determination and poise.
- Brother and his fiancée — for their hospitality and adorable dogs, among many other things.
- Friends who can make me smile when I just want to cry.
- Opportunities I’ve been granted, allowing me to advance in personal and professional circles.
- Music, which gets me through killer workdays and workouts.
This will be a weekly feature here each Monday in November, so stay tuned for more!
My Thanksgiving holiday essentially consisted of one shitstorm after another. To save you (and me) the trouble of a lengthy recap, allow me to sum up the weekend in the following helpful bullets:
- Left work at 1 p.m. Helped a stranded co-worker get her car towed, then drove her to Ocala to enjoy her holiday. Got to my house around 8:30 p.m.
- Drank more 2-4-1s than should be legal at Crapplebee’s with Brother. Played bear-ninja-cowboy and had to get a taxi (van) ride home. The mile-and-a-half trip cost $9 but I gave the guy $20 so he wouldn’t come back to kill us.
Thursday – Turkey Day
- Did not get to draw a hand turkey. Very upset.
- Lots of family and friends over for food and drink. Have I mentioned before that my family is insane?
- Annual pinochle tournament begins. No tears … yet.
- Massages with my mom, Maggie May. The woman told me I am tense all over and need to work on that. Thanks, lady.
- Saw “Morning Glory,” that one with Rachel McAdams, Diane Keaton and Harrison Ford. Great afternoon flick to catch.
- Due for a phone upgrade, I went with the iPhone 4. Working very diligently to refrain from becoming obsessed.
- Pinochle tournament continues. My grandpa and 16-year-old cousin win and take the trophies home. Tears ensue.
- “Out” in Daytona: a pub, a gay club ($2 shots!), a lame bar and a strip club. Together again with old friends and a few drinks too many.
- Lunch with Maggie, a dear friend and her mom. Try to cover two years in two hours of talking.
- Shopping with Mags at the Mecca, Kohl’s. Spend $50 and save $75. This is the word of the Lord.
- Attend speaking engagement of grandpa’s. More tears ensue.
- Reunion at a quaint bar/restaurant with many old friends, including the entire band playing. Lots of drinks and catching up and smiles and hugs.
- Lunch with cousin and close friend; worst service endured in a very long time. Waitress was shit-for-brains and clearly had no desire to gain a good tip.
- Packed all too quickly.
- Pit stop in DeLand for a co-worker; back to Tampa after a roller-coaster weekend.
All in all, I had the best Thanksgiving I’ve experienced in quite some time. Although it got off to a very rocky start, I was so grateful to be home for more than 24 hours. My family is my rock — even when they make me crazy.
Spending time with loved ones rejuvenated my spirit and allowed me to take a break from the rat race, if only for a few days. I hope you each made your own special memories as you celebrated all of life’s blessings.
And if anyone drew a hand turkey, fuck off. No need to be an asshole at a time like this.