A week back in NYC turned out to be the best way to celebrate Thanksgiving. From time with family and friends to perfect parade weather, it was an experience I won’t soon forget. It’s true what they say: New York City is the best place in the world when you don’t live there. Who’s they, you ask? Idk. But they say it.
- Touring Bridgeport: After the parade, I ventured out of the city to my great aunt’s home in Connecticut. She took me on an incredible tour down memory lane: I saw the homes where my mom and grandpa grew up; the church my grandparents were married in; the college my grandpa and some of his brothers attended; the street named after my great-grandfather and much more. My heart is still so full from our special time shared.
- UCB East: After returning to the city Saturday, I went to a 3-on-3 improv tournament at UCB East to support my hilarious friend Chrissie and her talented group, Mannequin Room. They had a killer semis performance and advanced to the final show, where they placed 2nd. I’d never been to a show with this sort of setup, and it didn’t disappoint. There was a group who specialized in spontaneous song and another who somehow made infant mortality rates funny… yeah, just think about that.
- “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”: I was super smart to do the math and figure out how far in advance free tickets go up for our fave talk show. All humble bragging aside, I’m so glad we were able to attend Monday’s taping! We laughed endlessly and enjoyed seeing guests John Goodman, Alexis Bledel and David Gray. Jimmy even did a Q&A with the audience while David and his band set up, which was super nice. Dare I say, it was my favorite Tonight Show appearance yet!
- “Babylon” – David Gray: True to form, I’ve gotta get this earworm back into your brains. To celebrate his Tonight Show appearance and greatest hits album, here’s a reminder of his most popular song in the US. It’s been stuck in my head since Sunday, when we played it on repeat to get pumped for his performance. I have no doubt it’ll be stuck in yours soon enough, too.
I had a blast hosting one of my best friends for the past few days. We’ve known each other for 12 years, and he was truly my savior while living in NYC — so it was the least I could do to show him a little bit of my new life in SF.
At the risk of getting way too sentimental on you all, let’s just distract all the feels with these picks, instead:
- The Oscars: The dresses, the drama, the divine NPH … Sunday’s 87th Annual Academy Awards were certainly abuzz all over the social stratosphere. I personally wasn’t surprised by many of the wins, but I’m still itching to see “Boyhood” and was sad it wasn’t recognized more.
- Picaro: This tapas restaurant in The Mission features fresh and fruity sangria alongside a million (or so) small plates. The service was great, the food was fantastic and the drinks never stopped flowing. ¡Olé!
- Dolores Park: Also in The Mission, this iconic park is the place to be on a sunny day in SF. My friend Mike and I mostly judged all the hipster-hippy hybrids, but it sure was a beautiful place to do it.
- Chloe’s Side Eye: Speaking of judgment, “Chloe’s side eye” was the recurring theme for Mike’s visit. Now, I would have shared Xtina’s incredible performance on The Tonight Show, but it has 18 million views and you’ve already watched it 100 times with me. Plus, there’s nothing quite like seeing shade thrown by a 3-year-old.
Ffwd to 2 minutes in for the best of it.
It’s raining, it’s pouring … and I’d much rather be snoring. Since it’s not socially acceptable to go to bed at 7 p.m., let’s pass the time with these:
- Mean Girls Day: Wanna feel old? “Mean Girls” came out 10 years ago today. Fitting, since newsfeeds were clogged with “On Wednesdays, we wear pink.” I didn’t even know about the “holiday” yet and quoted it earlier … just shows it stands the test of time.
- Chooka Rain Boots: The nonstop NYC rain provides a unique challenge when you don’t realize your shoes have holes in their soles. Luckily, I was able to run down to Macy’s and grab a pair of these cute and comfy wellies (in pink)!
- essie Sand Tropez: I love discovering new nail-color faves, and my cubemate got me hooked on this subtle shade. Best of all, chips are barely noticeable!
- Emma Stone Dominates Lip Sync: Is there anything my girl crush can’t do? She absolutely killed it on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” and made me just want to be her even more.