We’re just a few weeks away from Halloween, which means I will inevitably over-commit and obsessively plan a costume. Before I completely blow a gasket, let’s enjoy these little guys:
- Venmo: This app is a total lifesaver for quick and easy money transfers, like an even better PayPal! Split the dinner bill, pay up for tickets — anything you need, it’s done in a flash.
- Dogs Impersonating Biden: The Internet Gods have smiled upon us to bring a collection of pairings that’s even sillier than it sounds: VP Joe Biden and his canine counterparts. You read that right. Check it out before you judge the hell out of me.
- Cal Academy Nightlife: The Cal Academy of Science hosts a Nightlife series on Thursdays, and last week’s Sharktoberfest was a fab intro to it. Live music, 20+ local breweries, shark trivia and more — for just $12 entry!
- “Girls Chase Boys” – Ingrid Michaelson: I love me some Ingrid, and she loves to love us back. Her gooey inspiration for the song? “No matter who or how we love, we are all the same. … We all chase each other and in the end we are all chasing after the same thing: love.”
I’ve been in a real funk lately, and it has nothing to do with the homeless man who harasses me twice a day. What better excuse than to find some distractions until I can “figure it out”?
- White Elephant in the Room: A dear friend recommended this tumblr after my dad died. It chronicles a young widow’s process for grief, guilt and everything in between. The writing is beautiful and REAL —and I just ordered my copy of the accompanying book.
- “Top Chef: New Orleans”: My favorite reality show returned last week, so my draft picks are in and I’m ready to beat Cosmo (again). I can’t wait to see how Emeril will challenge these chefs in his neck of the woods. BAM!
- AOII Goes Blue: My sorority’s philanthropy efforts focus on Arthritis Research & Education, with events nationwide that raise money and awareness for the cause. If you’re not near a college campus with AOII, consider donating directly.
- #lovewillwin: So that awesome DC wedding I went to last week? Yeah, it was kind of a big deal. Check out this ABC news story covering the last-minute scramble — and gift from God —to let a fantastic couple celebrate their marriage.
A combination of alcohol, friends visiting and stressful workdays have sucked the life out of me. I’m not necessarily complaining, but I am giving myself an excuse for the blogging rut I’ve been in. I swear (à la All 4 One) that I’ll be back to regular posts very soon. Forgive me, via these four finds?
- 24 Vines that You’ll Watch Over and Over Again: I haven’t gotten into the whole six-second video trend yet, but BuzzFeed compiled this list of greatest hits for us to enjoy. I can’t even handle #13, even after watching it approximately 30 times.
- My Friends Are Married: Most 20-somethings can relate to this tumblr, which pokes fun at all the engaged, married and pregnant people in our single, supposed-to-be-miserable lives. Check out the hilarious — and often truthful — observations.
- The Faux Milania G: Any fan of “Real Housewives of New Jersey” is familiar with Teresa and Joe Giudice’s demon daughter, Milania. Her parody Twitter account is as insane as it is entertaining, especially because plenty of idiots think it’s an actual 7-year-old tweeting.
- “Follow Your Arrow” – Kacey Musgraves: Country newcomer Musgraves made quite the splash with her debut album, Same Trailer Different Park. It is any wonder I’ve had this spicy single on repeat lately?
Follow your arrow wherever it points.
- Foley’s: I met a friend for drinks at this Midtown spot recently and loved the whole atmosphere. Dwight Gooden happened to be signing autographs, but the drink specials, food and memorabilia will keep me coming back.
- #whatshouldwecallme: OK, this tumblr has to be in my top five all-time. The gifs so perfectly capture everyday situations. My friends send these out regularly, and I highly encourage you to do the same.
- essie Ballet Slippers: I’ve been in a nail color rut lately and needed something spectacular for my weekly self-manicure. Enough pizazz to get noticed, but enough polish for the office — no wonder it’s a bestseller.
- Miss USA 2013: Sunday’s annual pageant did not disappoint — from Utah’s interview response (video below) to Alabama repping my sorority beautifully and Connecticut’s heartfelt victory lap. My only question: Why was a JoBro co-hosting?
Let’s try something new and exciting for a change, shall we? This week’s obsessions are brought to you bright and early (for me), because I find the last thing I want to do after a long day in front of the computer is … be on the computer more. Be sure to let me know if you love this or hate this or are indifferent because you love me regardless.
- Skype: Our digital world is wonderful for keeping in touch, but there’s nothing quite as special as seeing your loved ones’ faces. Covered in chocolate. Giving apartment tours and taking lobby walks has never been easier with Skype.
- The Oscars: As awards season comes to a close, Sunday brings us the 85th Academy Awards. I can’t wait to see what host Seth MacFarlane will say and what BFF Jennifer Lawrence will spew. Watch it on ABC at 830 EST.
- Texts from Bennett: Fake or not, this compilation of texts from the author’s 17-year-old (white) cousin is hilarious. Many thanks to my friend Jess for reminding me of its existence.
- Taran Killam as Robyn: Tina Fey’s “Bossypants” mentioned the late-night antics of SNL’s writers’ room, and this is definitive proof. Wild and wacky, his tribute to “Call Your Girlfriend” is fantastical.