Well, we made it to 2019. Can you believe it? However you spent the countdown, I hope you had more fun than Chrissy Teigen getting hit in the face with an umbrella (still love you, Leslie!) and Andy Cohen listening to Anderson Cooper describe his mother’s affairs with Marlon Brando.
God bless this wacky, weird world.
- United Airlines: Don’t @ me. I continue to fly United when it’s got the lowest prices and best itineraries for my destinations (hello, nonstop SFO → MCO). After the Kenya snafu, I was able to use my credit toward a holiday flight home, and the service was top-notch on both routes. Flying is often frustrating, but United’s customer service is still among the best I’ve experienced.
- Whole30: I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid. Well, not really since I can’t have sugar for the next 30 days. This clean-eating phenomenon has an annual resurgence each January, and I’ve joined the bandwagon to reset my palate and mindset. The biggest struggle so far is not reaching for sweets, but I know I need this to get back on track. Let me know if you’re interested in joining my low-key accountabili-buddy group!
- This Candle: The real winner from the four White Elephant parties I attended this holiday season? None other than a Saint Kanye candle. I enjoy most of his music and agree he’s better off without a Twitter account, but every time this catches my eye from my desk I gain a little smirk. I won’t actually be lighting it, so hopefully I don’t summon any more crazy.
- “Stronger” – Kanye West: There are many variations of “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” but I’m obviously inspired by the candle so this one wins. Through all of 2018’s ups and downs, faith and humility helped me along. It doesn’t hurt that this is one of my fave workout songs, but I also recommend when you’re having a shitty shit day and need a reminder of your superpowers.
It’s been a whirlwind of PR nightmares from Pepsi to United Airlines to Melissa McCarthy… (If you don’t understand the third one, start watching “Last Week Tonight.”) I don’t know many who are applauding those mega-oops moments, but here’s what I do appreciate this week:
- Spring Cleaning: In preparation for an upcoming move within SF, I’ve begun purging stuff with the help of friends. Thanks to two separate sessions, led by my master-purge peers, I’ve managed to gather countless items to donate and four bags of trash! Who knew I’d accumulated all that stuff in just 2.5 years?
- A Fresh Mani/Pedi: My Sunday night routine often involves painting my nails as a therapeutic way to wind down the weekend. I was trying some “maybe” colors I wasn’t ready to let go of, but then a dear friend suggested we catch up over mani/pedis Monday night. I can’t think of a better way to spend an hour — being pampered while connecting with loved ones is simply the best!
- Easter: This coming Sunday is sure to be filled with a joyous remembrance of resurrection and life for my fellow Catholics and Christians. Egg dyeing and chocolate bunnies aside, Easter has become one of my favorite holidays for humble reflection and celebration.
- “HUMBLE” – Kendrick Lamar: Speaking of humility, Kendrick Lamar’s latest has flooded my ears all week. It could be a coincidence, given the major blunders we’re witnessing firsthand, but I think I’d be into it regardless. Completely NSFW language ahead — beware before blasting in your office.