I’m happy to report I made it safely back to SF, and even happier to report my four-day migraine has finally subsided. Is it possible my silent apartment was, in fact, deafening after eight days of nonstop fun with two nieces, two dogs and family galore?
- RIO 2016: If you know anything about me from 2012 and 2014, you know “obsessed” is an understatement for how I feel about the Olympics. The opening ceremonies in Rio are Friday, and I can’t quite wait to fill the DVR with gymnastics, beach volleyball, swimming, sailing and speedwalking.
- Local Olympians: It wouldn’t be fair to mention my love for the games without highlighting alumni of my high school and college Greek life, respectively. Ryan Lochte already has 11 Olympic swimming medals, so why not add some more to the collection — and with a new ‘do? And Paige Railey hopes to sail her way to victory in her second Olympic games. Good luck, FL friends!
- Cosmo + Tasha Tie the Knot: In non-Olympics news, a good friend from my Tampa days will marry the love of his life in Napa next week. The celebrations start Friday, though, so it’s a good a time as ever to wish them well. Cheers to all this next chapter will bring, you two — I can’t wait to celebrate!
- U.S. Men’s Basketball Sings Vanessa Carlton: Is there anything better than a bunch of grown men, who are professional basketball players, singing a sickly sweet pop song? I submit that there is not. Carmelo just isn’t having it, but the other guys seem to know a good thing when they hear it.
After months of planning and anticipation, my cousin’s wedding was absolutely amazing! The newlyweds ended the evening with a firework sendoff fit for a fairytale. I’m sort of back to reality while working remotely from Tampa this week — so here are four things I’m loving while in the 813. Are you surprised they’re all food-related?
- The Columbia: We celebrated my sister-in-law’s birthday Sunday at this iconic Ybor establishment. From mojitos to the 1905 salad to “good rice” that’s to die for, it’s no wonder this Cuban cookery has been a Tampa tradition for 110+ years. Don’t pass through Tampa without stopping by!
- Moreno Bakery: What birthday dinner would be complete without a towering, tantalizing cake? My SIL’s mom provided a fantastic Bananas Foster cake that left us all with sugar comas beyond compare. I’m actually drooling at the thought.
- Publix Subs: These things have a cult following for a reason. The PubSub is actually life-changing, and being so far from this grocery store makes them all that more special when I’m in Florida. Boar’s Head Italian FTW!
- “Sugar” – Maroon 5: Full disclosure: I actually can’t stand this song (or Adam Levine’s voice, still). But something about hearing it at a wedding — or when my niece is in the car — just gets the people going. Plus, the video is just the cutest ever (fake or not).
I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is not, in fact, more cowbell. Being sick in December is litchrlly the worst, but here’s what I’m doing to keep calm and carry on:
- #AllTreesAreBeautiful: After many people took to Twitter complaining about the shape of their Reese’s Christmas Trees this year, the brand responded with a call to end “tree shaming” and it was glorious! Check out some of the highlights here.
- “Love Actually”: In my humble opinion, there is no better holiday movie. Sure, we all enjoy “Home Alone” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” but it doesn’t get any more festive, actually, than Hugh Grant dancing around 10 Downing Street.
- “Billy on the Street” with Will Ferrell: Here’s two guys who are likely to disagree with my previous statements. And that’s OK — because they’re at their best when yelling at innocent people in NYC. Fa-la-freaking-la.
- Las Vegas: I’m suuuper pumped to spend part of next week in Vegas for my cousin’s bachelor/ette party! The sights, the slots, the spirits… hope Sin City is ready for some naughty troublemakers right before Christmas!
I have to keep this week’s obsessions rather short and sweet — because I’m on vacation and refuse to spend any more time online than necessary.
- (and 2, 3 and 4) FLORIDA LOVE: I’m in Florida for a dear friend’s wedding, and the festivities begin with tonight’s Bachelorette Party. Tomorrow, we’ll lounge by the pool, and then Friday will be the big day! I couldn’t be more excited to celebrate Jamie and Chris, and I’ll get some QT in with the family. Win-win-win.
Since I’m kinda leaving you guys hanging, here’s one of my favorite songs that always reminds me of home. Enjoy 🙂
I thought it was Tuesday for most of the day, once again proving how great I am at being an adult and keeping track of anything.
On one hand, I thought I was being super proactive by figuring out my WOs a day ahead. On the other hand, I fear I’m slowly slipping into madness.
Let’s just get to the good stuff, shall we?
- Jen & Matt Getting Married: I’m heading to Florida this weekend to witness the nuptials of my dear sorority sister/former co-worker and her betrothed. I have no doubt it’ll be a beautiful day and I can’t wait to celebrate with them!
- This Ladybug: Adding to my excitement for this trip is the fact that I’ll finally meet my beautiful niece! She is clearly the cutest child to ever be born, and I can’t promise that she won’t be coming back to NYC with me.
- “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?”: After a few heavy reads, it was time for me to lighten up a bit and reread Mindy Kaling’s hilarious memoir. She is my muse, my everything!
- “Gorilla” – Bruno Mars: These WOs are nothing, if not random, so my only explanation for loving this song is that I’ve gone bananas. Did you see what I did there?