Good lord, I’m glad you only turn 30 once. I really ran into it head-on, with a tour of wine country, an A’s game with fireworks and a birthday bar crawl/fundraiser/karaoke jam sesh. (If you missed your chance to donate to the ACLU, you can still donate here on my behalf 😉). If you’re a schmuck like me and worked today, here’s a dreamy escape to get you through to Friday…
- Christopher Creek Winery: I joined this winery back in March, solely for the chance to reserve their house for my birthday weekend. I knew it was a long shot, and sure enough, the house wasn’t available for the holiday. But Lea and the CCW team didn’t disappoint — the poolside vibe was perfect to kick off my “Witty in Wine Country” festivities.
- Big John’s Market: We then headed to pick up our boxed lunches from this local shop, which was a steal at $15/person (+ gratuity). The sandwiches, pasta/potato salad and desserts were a welcome addition to our bellies otherwise only full of rosé and reds. Delish!
- Amphora Winery: Our second winery stop was this delightfully charming venue, which pulled out ALL the birthday stops. From a custom menu to chocolate truffles and a thoughtful birthday gift, Rick and the Amphora team were truly amazing. We will happily “revisit” both the wines and the tasting room.
- Pech Merle Winery: Finally, we made our way to this cool, cozy lounge. Jenna and the team were so accommodating and friendly, keeping the drinks flowing and the laughs going. The indoor swing was a huge hit, and they waived tasting fees for each bottle purchased — talk about a win-win!
Whether you wrote a letter, donated to the ACLU, called, messaged or joined me in person, I can honestly say this birthday was one for the record books. Thank you from the bottom of my little Witty heart! Xoxo ❤️💙
As I’ve been reminded on my first day back to work in nearly a week, today is Wednesday. Please bear with me as I attempt to form coherent and complete sentences.
- Domaine Chandon: My friends hosted this weekend’s wedding guests with a Jolly Trolley of Love through a few Napa wineries, and our first stop — at Chandon — was my fave. The staff was superb, the bubbles were flowing and I refrained from any references to SNL’s Moët Chandon girls (language NSFW).
- Gott’s Roadside: After a day of wine tasting, we were in dire need of lunch (and more alcohol). This iconic restaurant in St. Helena accommodated our orders in advance, allowing our precious party planner a faster feat of feeding 19 people. The burgers were bomb, as were the shakes and sips.
- S’well: After this weekend’s shenanigans, I’m in full detox mode. Well, except for the three happy hours and one rave (that’s right) I have this week. During the day, at least, I stay happily hydrated with my fancy S’well bottle. I thought the price point was steep, but I consistently get at least 100oz of ice-cold water daily thanks to this little lifesaver. And, proceeds from every sale help give drinking water to children in need. Ahhh.
- “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” – Justin Timberlake: It could be the fact that *NSYNC just reunited for JC Chasez’s FORTIETH birthday or that JT’s voice always gets the people going, but no matter the reason, I’m really feeling this summer song. Bonus: It’s apparently on the soundtrack for the upcoming “Trolls” movie — so look out for that.
I’m happy to report I made it safely back to SF, and even happier to report my four-day migraine has finally subsided. Is it possible my silent apartment was, in fact, deafening after eight days of nonstop fun with two nieces, two dogs and family galore?
- RIO 2016: If you know anything about me from 2012 and 2014, you know “obsessed” is an understatement for how I feel about the Olympics. The opening ceremonies in Rio are Friday, and I can’t quite wait to fill the DVR with gymnastics, beach volleyball, swimming, sailing and speedwalking.
- Local Olympians: It wouldn’t be fair to mention my love for the games without highlighting alumni of my high school and college Greek life, respectively. Ryan Lochte already has 11 Olympic swimming medals, so why not add some more to the collection — and with a new ‘do? And Paige Railey hopes to sail her way to victory in her second Olympic games. Good luck, FL friends!
- Cosmo + Tasha Tie the Knot: In non-Olympics news, a good friend from my Tampa days will marry the love of his life in Napa next week. The celebrations start Friday, though, so it’s a good a time as ever to wish them well. Cheers to all this next chapter will bring, you two — I can’t wait to celebrate!
- U.S. Men’s Basketball Sings Vanessa Carlton: Is there anything better than a bunch of grown men, who are professional basketball players, singing a sickly sweet pop song? I submit that there is not. Carmelo just isn’t having it, but the other guys seem to know a good thing when they hear it.
It might be my now advanced age talking, but I’ve been perpetually pooped since last weekend’s shenanigans. It hasn’t all been fun and games, but I’m hopeful about what this next year will bring.
- “Inside Out”: If you haven’t already seen this latest release from Disney/Pixar, what is the matter with you?! From joy to anger and everything in between, it captures the range of emotions and thoughts we experience every day. The all-star cast of voices is just an added bonus.
- DeLoach Vineyards: According to the brochure I found in my bag, I am now a member of this fine establishment. Their customer service was awesome, the pours were perfect and they have special events for their members year-round. Cheers!
- Lyft: I was an Uber loyalist through and through, but Lyft grabbed my attention with a recent promotion to earn $50 in ride credits. I earned enough five-star ratings as a passenger to sit pretty for my next 10 rides — well done, Lyft! You may have just made me a believer.
- “Brother” – Needtobreathe f. Gavin DeGraw: I have no idea why this song gets me every time, but damn it’s a good one. I find myself humming along long after it’s played and searching for it during an afternoon lull. Plus, the video is pretty great.
It’s that special time of year when families gather to feast, feud and frolic to the store for 1/2 off sweaters. Don’t you just love it?
- Magz Is Here: My favorite mom arrived last Friday and is here for the week. She’s seen and done so much already, but I’m looking forward to more QT together these next few days.
- Macy’s 88th Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade: It’s tradition. Watch the parade tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST (or record it on your DVR if you plan to sleep in like us). Can’t wait to see Papa Smurf, Snoopy and all the other iconic characters!
- Terrific Tours: Our first excursion was us a daylong trip through Sonoma’s wine country with Terrific Tours. I can’t recommend their services enough — we saw FIVE wineries, tasted more than 20+ varietals and had entertaining stories throughout the day!
- “All About That Baste” – The Holderness Family: Magz introduced me to this family foursome, known for silly song parodies. I think Meghan Trainor would be proud, #noskinnybritches and all.
Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving weekend!