Tag Archive | winter olympics
WO: Weekly Obsessions
It’s a double whammy celebration today with Valentine’s Day AND Ash Wednesday — can you feel the excitement? No? Well, put on your party pants because it’s about to get crazy up in here.
- Chloe Kim: If you know me, you know I LOVE the Olympics. One of many reasons why is a story like Chloe’s: She was 2014’s best snowboarder but too young to compete in the Sochi games. Fast forward to today and she’s winning it all — and her dad is winning our hearts.
- Shib Sibs: I’m fascinated by ice dancing as a sport and this brother-sister duo only adds to the intrigue. I love my brother and would do anything for him, but I can’t imagine being partnered with him for decades of competition. How these two still get along is beyond me, but you go, Shib Sibs!
- Adam Rippon: There’s not much I love more than a quick-witted shit talker who can back up their stuff. Adam is the quintessential figure skating and LGBTQ icon we’ve all dreamed of, and his haters know where to go… to the left, to the left.
- Maame Biney: It wouldn’t be a tribute to PyeongChang without talking about this superstar. To some, she came out of nowhere and now she’s making history as the first African-American woman to represent the U.S. in speed skating. Don’t let her electric smile and bubbly personality fool you — she’s a beast on the ice.
What are some of your favorite Olympic moments so far? Let me know in the comments and we can nerd out together 🙂
Images courtesy of: NY Daily News, YouTube, People, MNN
WO: Weekly Obsessions
It’s only fitting that I focus this week on the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Don’t even think about questioning me on it, because I’m super exhausted and at my wit’s end. You’ve been warned.
- The Bilodeau Brothers: Moguls skier Alex Bilodeau dedicated his recent gold-medal win to his brother, Frederic, who was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy as a kid. Good luck reading this without bawling like a baby.
- Shaun White’s Hair: Can we all just collectively take a minute to appreciate The Flying Tomato’s decision to look like an adult? He may not have won gold, but he sure won my heart. He should still lose that earring, though.
- Team USA Mittens: These were the so-called culprits behind JCPenney’s ridiculous Super Bowl tweets, but I still want a pair. Who knows? Maybe it’ll convince my generation to GET OFF THEIR PHONES for once.
- “Purple Haze” – Jimi Hendrix: Each Olympics brings an earworm that you just hear over and over for three weeks straight. This is Sochi’s — and it’s not entirely NBC’s fault! Thanks for nothing, Cititbank, with this obnoxious commercial.
Images courtesy of: BuzzFeed, MPORA, NBC Universal, Only Sounding Out